Replacing Steering System For 91 Ls400

Commish

:chairshot: I am new to forum wish i would of found it way earlier.Bought my 91 ls400 for 3k about 3 yrs ago.Had engine replaced with one from 94 before purchasing with 67kmiles.I had rear end work done when first purchased.Had to replace coolant system waterpump etc.7-8months later due to crack in resvoir tank that made system to shut itself down COSTLY!!!!At that time dealer told me of steering rack leak said not to major at time.drove for 6 months. Took it for inspection and hearmore bad news.Just replaced entire front end srtuts,bushings,ball joints etc. and they said steering system was bad due to rack unit leaking.Said i needed to replace Rack, power steering pump,power steering hose(high pressureline) and intermidate shaft.Told me not to look towards an aftermarket one due problems with them.I am trying to cut costs a little but do not want to cut short on the quality for the car as it is beautful and drives same way.Have put lots of work into her.Just think im getting a little too deep into it.Please some advice.OR SHOULD I JUST SELL!!

Haven't done this, but removal page 4 and installation page 15:

PS_steering.pdf

Did they say what's wrong with the intermediate shaft? Are you getting noise in the column or at the wheel while turning?

there is a shaking noise noise when you go over bumps sounds like rack is moving.

Haven't done this, but removal page 4 and installation page 15:

PS_steering.pdf

Did they say what's wrong with the intermediate shaft? Are you getting noise in the column or at the wheel while turning?

there is a shaking noise noise when you go over bumps sounds like rack is moving.none while turning.steering is slightly loose which is recent.

there is a shaking noise noise when you go over bumps sounds like rack is moving.

If the rack is moving it may just need rack mounting bushings. You may need to get a second opinion at another shop. That doesn't sound like an intermediate shaft, although they do get noisy on these cars. Do you know if the spring insulators were changed when they did the struts? If not, that may be your noise. Unfortunately, due to the age of these cars many things can cause front end noise.

On the PS hose, one from the dealer will run $330-400. There is a reseller on ebay for much less unless you insist on dealer parts.

ginabops

A lot of guys have gotten their power steering systems to actually quit leaking by flushing the PS system and cleaning the PS Solenoid Screen. I wouldn't drop a bundle on repairs until that was done and continued leakage was confirmed.

they also said pump assembly and hose was leaking too sry.do not know about spring insulators but strut absorbers and upper cushions and bumperswere replaced.Not to keen on knowing what eveything is. noise sounds like itsinfo coming form front center of car.I will get second opinion though.

power_steering_specs.pdfpower_steering_specs.pdf
they also said pump assembly and hose was leaking too sry.do not know about spring insulators but strut absorbers and upper cushions and bumperswere replaced.Not to keen on knowing what eveything is. noise sounds like itsinfo coming form front center of car.I will get second opinion though.

ls400_pwoer_steering_electrical_pps.pdf

Comish, you've got a couple cheaper options to take first, before buying the entire farm.

1st: If your rack is leaking, it is usually due to pressure build up due to a clogged filter screen somewhere. 9 out of 10 times, this is the tiny filter screen in your power steering solenoid, which regulates the amount of over-boost. Your power steering pump is leaking too? Well, that is normal on those models, and I would suggest fixing that FIRST because in all likelyhood, it's going to drip onto your alternator and take it out too...it's happened on MANY gen 1 LS's. THAT would be my first expense for the mechanic. Amigo, don't mess with the dealership, and certainly don't take his advice on not buying aftermarket parts...he's just trying to scare you into buying their over-inflated priced parts.

The rack banging around.... Look at your rack, see those to U clamps on either end that hold it down? See the rubber gromments those two U joints are covering? Those are the two gromment "bushings" that you probably need to replace. They're maybe $15 bucks each, if that. Two bolts per U bracket...super easy to do. I've replaced mine, and it made a nice difference. It sounds like you're ready too, as your rack is probably banging against the subframe which it is attached to.

Here is what I would recommend you do...

1) Remove the solenoid and clean the screen.... flush the power steering fluid. Here is the thread that can show you how. It's not hard, and you don't have to jack the car up if you don't want.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...enoid&st=75

this is free....:cheers:

2) order your rack gromments online, I use www.lexuspartsonline.com, the other guys will chime in on where they buy their stuff too, there are several places. Sometimes it's called steering flange too. They're not that expensive, so if you wanted to over pay, you could get them from the dealership, and maybe spend an extra $25 bucks total.

3) www.mavalgear.com for all of your powersteering components. These ARE lexus parts, they're just reconditioned. Many guys have used these, and have not heard a complaint yet. YOU need a new pump, and you'd best be served to do it as soon as possible.

4) Your noise you're hearing up front in your suspension. Look at your springs, especially where they sit on the strut rod mounting on the bottom. If you look at that flat surface where your springs sit against, you'll see a little notch. This notch acts as the stopper for the springs to twist. If the end of the spring is not seated in that notch, then the springs could simply be rubbing against that metal surface every time they move. To test this, put a little grease on that contact point and see what happens. Mine are not set in that notch, and I too get a noise, which sounds like metal on metal. Looking at that flat surface on my car, I can see where the end of the spring is scraping along the metal toward the notch-stopper. Look at the picture attached, I've circled the area of focus for you.

You might need a new power steering damper as well. These are just like shock's, or like your hood struts that hold the hood up. You can buy them online as well.

:cheers:

post-15797-1179929793_thumb.jpg

first i would like to thank everyone for there advice so far.Definitly thinking about keeping now.I agree with you on dealer(i used to know a guy that knew a guy at dealer) Parts are parts with good warranty.Dealer was saying reman ones were getting leaks in them at pressure valves or something.I am also in there comp for like 2.5kworth of work on it but really like 4, with all factory parts for it.New guy new system.Feel he is trying to work me over a little.

Gonna look at them U clamp bushings, most likely problem.Should i put new pump on(he said something about alternator possibly going but recent problem) on before flushing system?Is repacing it easy or should i have mech do it?Is hose is to replace too?I am def gonna look at suspension. He also said intermidate shaft needed to be replaced.

Got achance to look at my steering system.Whole lotta leaking.The boot on my rack is ripped and leaking, pump is leaking along with hose.Can anyone tell me if it is hard to replace whole system and if so point me in a direction with some instrustions on it.Ive looked at links posted so far but not sure on them cause i am replacing the whole units and not taking then apart.I did not flush system yet.Did not wanna waste time because boot was ripped and did not know if it would even make difference.Grommet bushings looked bad and am in process of ordering them.thanks for info so far.

oh man, have i been on here for a long time, searching my own posts from years ago... ah.. aging sucks....

here are the part numbers amigo! :cheers:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...527&hl=rack

www.lexuspartsonline.com has them for $17.83 each....

I am confused. The part numbers nc211 just gave seem to be for a '95-'00 LS400. Commish's '91 and my '90 seem to have a slightly different set-up involving a differently shaped grommet/insulator and there is only one of them.

Attached is a picture for a '90-'94. The part in question is listed as #2. I believe it is different. Although I do not have a part number, the picture is the standard one that comes up when looking at parts on-line.

Thanks.

post-20710-1180547897_thumb.jpg