Considering '08 Rx350 - Lots Of Questions.....

Was considering a GX470, but a couple things about it I don't like. Now looking at the '08 RX350 I am considering it and have a few question.

Is it just me or does the '08 (especially with the new 18" 7 spoke wheels) have a little more of a 'manly' look than the '07? I have always considered the RX a little feminine, but now I seem to be changing my mind.....

I living in Houston and we RARELY have snow, but we do get some good rain showers. Any negatives to getting AWD except the 1mpg penalty on mileage and the supposed 0.1 sec slower 0-60mph time?

Anyone have any experience with the Performance Package (air suspension and triptronic tranny)??

Lastly (and unfortunately this may be the killer for me)...anyone 6'5" driving an RX? I am 6'5" and drove an '07 RX last holiday season and it seemed to have sufficient leg room and head room, but I know just about all RX's come with a sunroof and I have read some people with long legs don't have sufficient leg room....anyone experience this?

I am currently getting internet pricing from Houston dealers ranging between $1000 - $2000 off MSRP depending on option package (more costly, bigger discount). How far below MSRP will they really go???

Trying to avoid the navigation system and Mark Levinson (just too $$$$ for me) but am considering the entertainment system...any thoughts?

Lastly, any tote kids (or adults) around in the back seats with front seats back all the way??

Thanks!!!!

lets see which to start with first.

the 2008 models did get a slight redesign, so it is possible that it looks more manly. It just got chrome door handles and a revised grill, that is all.

some people on here will tell you the AWD on lexus cars are inferior to other brands, but it will work just fine. no major differences, maybe more road noise.

i have the performance package with my 2004 RX. There is something you need to know about the air suspension. First, it is cool, cause it will lower itself when the engine is shut off, you can go on high mode for snowy days (cant exceed 25 mph, or else it will go back down), and it will lower itself on the freeway 62mph and above. However! there is a downside. You will hear this whine when the suspension is trying to lift up the car. Have the dealer drive one and then bring it out for you to look at, you will hear the whine, and its annoying from the inside and outside. Now for the triptronic. The Lexus is not a sports car, so expect as much as 1-2 seconds between clicking the knob to actually changing gears.

im 6 feet, and i usually have it all the way back aways. People can still sit behind me.

you should get the nav, and not the RSES. Its pretty much useless. I have it on mine and i dont use it, maybe once a year. Dont know if you have kids or not, but its not going to be likely that they will be watching. Id rather spring for the nav so that you get the better looking interface, and a better resale value. Also the obvious pro of knowing where your going, and bluetooth.

the 2008 models did get a slight redesign, so it is possible that it looks more manly. It just got chrome door handles and a revised grill, that is all.

And new wheels.

some people on here will tell you the AWD on lexus cars are inferior to other brands, but it will work just fine. no major differences, maybe more road noise.

I agree, especially if all you're looking at is rain. I disagree about the road noise though, should make no difference.

Have the dealer drive one and then bring it out for you to look at, you will hear the whine, and its annoying from the inside and outside.

I drove a Ford Explorer Limited with air suspension for 7 years and it made a much less refined noise when raising and lowering the suspension, you get used to it.

you should get the nav, and not the RSES. Its pretty much useless. I have it on mine and i dont use it, maybe once a year. Dont know if you have kids or not, but its not going to be likely that they will be watching. Id rather spring for the nav so that you get the better looking interface, and a better resale value. Also the obvious pro of knowing where your going, and bluetooth.

This is becoming a HUGE issue with resale. Look at eBay motors and see what the premium is for cars with and without nav, its much more than the initial difference when you buy. I would never buy another vehicle without nav.

I have an 07 Rx350 and love it. I do have to say, the AWD is excellent in the snow...

The nav is also worth every penny. I don't use it often, but when i DO need it, i thank god every time! I finally figured out that bluetooth thing too... and WOW it's cool :rolleyes:

A few thousand when buying a new car isn't much...

the road noise i was referring to was like cabin noise, like engine noise. Its weird, on the 2wd RX's i get, i feel that they are quieter, and that most of hte sound is centered around the engine. might just be my imagination.

anyways, you havent heard the whine of the RX suspension until youve heard it. It is almost ridiculous how loud it is. it comes from the right hand back seat.

as for the wheels, ive been to the lexus dealership. Apparently, none of them come with the new wheels, you can check the lexus website. Seems to be a non US thing.

Thanks all...after reading, I am considering the following:

'08 2WD

Navigation

Entertainment

Premium Plus Package

Trailer Package

18" Wheels (5 spoke or 7)

MSRP for about is around $45K....what should I shoot for for price +TTL? I see some people are getting upwards of $5000 of MSRP when they are buying. Thanks!!!

Was considering a GX470, but a couple things about it I don't like. Now looking at the '08 RX350 I am considering it and have a few question.

Is it just me or does the '08 (especially with the new 18" 7 spoke wheels) have a little more of a 'manly' look than the '07? I have always considered the RX a little feminine, but now I seem to be changing my mind.....

- This is subjective, but yes I like the 18"s, this is what I have on mine (7spoke)

I living in Houston and we RARELY have snow, but we do get some good rain showers. Any negatives to getting AWD except the 1mpg penalty on mileage and the supposed 0.1 sec slower 0-60mph time?

- other than increased cost, I have not "experienced" any real-life negatives, yet :unsure:

Anyone have any experience with the Performance Package (air suspension and triptronic tranny)??

- no, but it sounded interesting, but decided not to go with it as the dealer had none to test, and, I don't think I really "need it"

Lastly (and unfortunately this may be the killer for me)...anyone 6'5" driving an RX? I am 6'5" and drove an '07 RX last holiday season and it seemed to have sufficient leg room and head room, but I know just about all RX's come with a sunroof and I have read some people with long legs don't have sufficient leg room....anyone experience this?

- I think you should be OK, even at 6'5"

I am currently getting internet pricing from Houston dealers ranging between $1000 - $2000 off MSRP depending on option package (more costly, bigger discount). How far below MSRP will they really go???

Trying to avoid the navigation system and Mark Levinson (just too $$$$ for me) but am considering the entertainment system...any thoughts?

- I not too familiar with the Houston market, but I would suspect you can go lower than 2K off MSRP. Another perspective is you should really look at how much over invoice. I got mine for about 2K over invoice. I think I could have done better had they had the exact car I wanted in the lot at the time. The color combo and options (including ML System, RSES) was not available so they made a "fuss" about "ordering".

Lastly, any tote kids (or adults) around in the back seats with front seats back all the way??

Thanks!!!!

$2000 over invoice...that sounds great as the guys I am currently dealing with through the interent aren't even coming off $4000 off MSRP....anyone else get close to invoice on an '08?? I do notice that on Edmunds and KBB that there is a BIG gap between invoice and MSRP on these Lexus'....

$2000 over invoice...that sounds great as the guys I am currently dealing with through the interent aren't even coming off $4000 off MSRP....anyone else get close to invoice on an '08?? I do notice that on Edmunds and KBB that there is a BIG gap between invoice and MSRP on these Lexus'....

If I understand you correctly, they are willing to go 4K off MSRP? Depending on what options you're getting, that's NOT bad at all.

If I understand you correctly, they are willing to go 4K off MSRP? Depending on what options you're getting, that's NOT bad at all.

I just got a quote that is very close to $4K off MSRP within a couple hundred so I am getting close to where I want to be...a couple hundred isn't going to be a deal breaker but it all adds up in the end......I simply advised the dealers that I wanted to finalize pricing before even stepping on the lot...some dealers said no and others started sending pricing. One has been particularly helpful and from what I can tell, actually taking time before replying with new numbers realizing I am doing a lot of research....he even has quoted me the new 7 spoke wheels which I didn't think were readily available..

I just got a quote that is very close to $4K off MSRP within a couple hundred so I am getting close to where I want to be...a couple hundred isn't going to be a deal breaker but it all adds up in the end......I simply advised the dealers that I wanted to finalize pricing before even stepping on the lot...some dealers said no and others started sending pricing. One has been particularly helpful and from what I can tell, actually taking time before replying with new numbers realizing I am doing a lot of research....he even has quoted me the new 7 spoke wheels which I didn't think were readily available..

I totally get it, a few hundred isn't a deal breaker, but everything counts in large amounts. If it's roughly 4K under MSRP, I am guessing not knowing your options, that's should not be any more than $2000 - 2,500 over invoice, right? 7 spoke liquid graphite 18"? As mentioned above, I have those so indeed available. Good luck.

the road noise i was referring to was like cabin noise, like engine noise. Its weird, on the 2wd RX's i get, i feel that they are quieter, and that most of hte sound is centered around the engine. might just be my imagination.

anyways, you havent heard the whine of the RX suspension until youve heard it. It is almost ridiculous how loud it is. it comes from the right hand back seat.

as for the wheels, ive been to the lexus dealership. Apparently, none of them come with the new wheels, you can check the lexus website. Seems to be a non US thing.

I've heard it, much quieter than the Explorer I had.

As for the wheels, I saw one today with the new wheels. They're 7 spoke instead of the old 5 spokes.

Here is my latest quote (right at $4000 below MSRP which is about $1000 over invoice from what I can tell)

$44,070.14 out the door - (includes all charges, desitnation ($715), sales tax ($2575), invoice tax($113), license and title fee($127), doc. fee($50), deputy fee($5)):

- 2WD

- Premium Plus Package (PT)

- Towing Prep Package (TO)

- Entertainment System (EY)

- Navigation System (NV)

- 18" 7 Spoke Wheels (FV)

- Heated Seat with Rain Sense Wipers (HH)

- Wheel Locks (WL)

- Tax and any fees, etc.

+ $400 for hitch.

Any thoughts????? Thanks!

UPDATE TO THE ABOVE QUOTE - The price DOES NOT include the entertainment system. I really don't want it, but at that price, it should include it.....the dealer and I am about $1000 apart on pricing. I would take the above without the entertainment system for $43K out the door, but not $44K.....buying a new car is exhausting and I have not even stepped out of my home yet....

I purchased my 2008 RX350 3 weeks ago. I live in the Atlanta area but emailed all of the Lexus dealers in the SouthEast. Some wanted MSRP and one even wanted $5000 over MSRP. I learned the sale talk regarding the car. With the nav sys and prem. plus package there is a 44416 with the seven spoke wheels, and a 44306 with the 5 spoke wheels. The numbers are the MSRP, $44416. After a week of emails there were about 5 dealers still in the game. The dealer 6 miles from my home where I purchased my RX300 was $700 over the out of state dealer where I purchased my new RX. For a 3 1/2 drive to Nashville I same $700. The only difference between the 2 cars was that my car have the 5 spoke wheels, this was an oversite on my part but my wife didn't like the 7 spoke wheels any way. Including dealer prep cost my drive our on a car with the MSRP of $44306 was $40399 plus tax.

If was want to ever the playing field while shopping for a car you can do as I did, go to Comsumer Report online and pay $14 for a report on the pricing of the car. The dealer should make between a4% and 8% margin on the sale. According to CR my dealer made 6.5%.:cheers:

I purchased my 2008 RX350 3 weeks ago. I live in the Atlanta area but emailed all of the Lexus dealers in the SouthEast. Some wanted MSRP and one even wanted $5000 over MSRP. I learned the sale talk regarding the car. With the nav sys and prem. plus package there is a 44416 with the seven spoke wheels, and a 44306 with the 5 spoke wheels. The numbers are the MSRP, $44416. After a week of emails there were about 5 dealers still in the game. The dealer 6 miles from my home where I purchased my RX300 was $700 over the out of state dealer where I purchased my new RX. For a 3 1/2 drive to Nashville I saved $700. The only difference between the 2 cars was that my car has the 5 spoke wheels, this was an oversite on my part but my wife didn't like the 7 spoke wheels any way. Including dealer prep cost my drive our on a car with the MSRP of $44306 was $40399 plus tax.

If was want to ever the playing field while shopping for a car you can do as I did, go to Comsumer Report online and pay $14 for a report on the pricing of the car. The dealer should make between a4% and 8% margin on the sale. According to CR my dealer made 6.5%.:cheers: One more thing the price included a trailer hitch.

I purchased my 2008 RX350 3 weeks ago. I live in the Atlanta area but emailed all of the Lexus dealers in the SouthEast. Some wanted MSRP and one even wanted $5000 over MSRP. I learned the sale talk regarding the car. With the nav sys and prem. plus package there is a 44416 with the seven spoke wheels, and a 44306 with the 5 spoke wheels. The numbers are the MSRP, $44416. After a week of emails there were about 5 dealers still in the game. The dealer 6 miles from my home where I purchased my RX300 was $700 over the out of state dealer where I purchased my new RX. For a 3 1/2 drive to Nashville I same $700. The only difference between the 2 cars was that my car have the 5 spoke wheels, this was an oversite on my part but my wife didn't like the 7 spoke wheels any way. Including dealer prep cost my drive our on a car with the MSRP of $44306 was $40399 plus tax.

If was want to ever the playing field while shopping for a car you can do as I did, go to Comsumer Report online and pay $14 for a report on the pricing of the car. The dealer should make between a4% and 8% margin on the sale. According to CR my dealer made 6.5%.:cheers:

Your guy came off $3900 off MSRP and your drive out was probably right at $43K (including tax)....my guy is coming off right at $4000 so it sounds like he is in line and will make about 6% on the deal..right in the middle which works for me......I may ask him to take out the entertainment package and re-quote (try to save another $1000)...but that will depend on how I feel that day.

Here is my latest quote (right at $4000 below MSRP which is about $1000 over invoice from what I can tell)

$44,070.14 out the door - (includes all charges, desitnation ($715), sales tax ($2575), invoice tax($113), license and title fee($127), doc. fee($50), deputy fee($5)):

- 2WD

- Navigation System (NV)

- Wheel Locks (WL)

- Tax and any fees, etc.

+ $400 for hitch.

UPDATE TO THE ABOVE QUOTE - The price DOES NOT include the entertainment system. I really don't want it, but at that price, it should include it.....the dealer and I am about $1000 apart on pricing. I would take the above without the entertainment system for $43K out the door, but not $44K.....buying a new car is exhausting and I have not even stepped out of my home yet....

Your pricing without the entertainment system looks good. What state is your dealer in? As for the entertainment system you can do what I did, I went to Target and purchase a DVD bag for $25 that hangs on the back of the front seat that holds a small DVD player ( the DVD player does not come with it). It also comes with 2 headsets and my daugther loves it. Another thing is that it does not block my rear view mirror.

- 2WD

- Navigation System (NV)

- Wheel Locks (WL)

- Tax and any fees, etc.

+ $400 for hitch.

Your pricing without the entertainment system looks good. What state is your dealer in? As for the entertainment system you can do what I did, I went to Target and purchase a DVD bag for $25 that hangs on the back of the front seat that holds a small DVD player ( the DVD player does not come with it). It also comes with 2 headsets and my daugther loves it. Another thing is that it does not block my rear view mirror.

Located in Texas....so $44K out the door without entertainment is a fair deal? I know some people are getting upwards of $4000 off MSRP and that is what I am shooting for...at $44K it is about $3000 off MSRP. Thanks for the DVD bag idea...that will work with whatever vehicel I decide to go with...thanks!!!

- 2WD

- Navigation System (NV)

- Wheel Locks (WL)

- Tax and any fees, etc.

+ $400 for hitch.

Located in Texas....so $44K out the door without entertainment is a fair deal? I know some people are getting upwards of $4000 off MSRP and that is what I am shooting for...at $44K it is about $3000 off MSRP. Thanks for the DVD bag idea...that will work with whatever vehicel I decide to go with...thanks!!!

When are you picking up your car? I don't know what percentage tax is in your county buy mind is 6% so I was out the door at $42823 including the trail hitch. To me it looks like there is another $1000 for the dealer to play with. A good time to buy a car is always at the end of the month.