Pursuit Of Perfection?

Got the chance to spend an extended period of time with my new IS 250. Surprisingly, I found a couple fo things I didn't like. First of all, there is a paint chip in the front hood, almost dead center. This is not a paint chip which was caused by a rock, etc. It is on the edge of the hood, facing the driver, and over a quarter inch long. It must've been there from day one, since it's in such an unusual spot. I'll have to repair it (as best I can) with touch-up paint.

The second is a piece of plastic hanging off the passenger-side speaker. This plastic strip was about 2 inches square, and probably served as protection for the speaker prior to installation. In any case, it was clearly visible through the side window. All I had to do was roll down the window and carefully pull the plastic off. No big deal, BUT..

I thought Lexus vehicles were extensively inspected before leaving the factory. I was told each vehicle was put on a platform and given a true "white glove" inspection, and any defects were promptly corrected before the vehicle could leave the factory.. In addition, vehicles are inspected at the dealership prior to delivery. A careful inspection would have revealed the two things I found, and they could have been corrected well before I took delivery.

This is what I would expect if I bought a Chevy, not a Lexus. What happened to "the relentless pursuit of perfection"?

OK, here's my .02.

"The relentless pursuit of perfection" is merely an ad campaign. Is any car truly perfect? All you have to do is peruse these forums to see that in fact there are all kinds of problems, large and small, with Lexus automobiles. Overall, you must admit they are very excellent cars. The quality is seen throughout. Perhaps the slogan tells on itself....they are still in the act of pursuing...a goal not attained just yet? But they do a very good job, and comparing them to GM? Please, no comparison.

i was about to say what sidney said. Its still a pursuit. However, sure its inspected by the factory, but i dont think they remove any of the packaging stuff. Thats for the dealers job. They just inspect the quality and how things are put together. So its the dealers job, and perhaps the guy who was prepping the car didnt see it cause he forgot his glasses.

second, this may seem kinda pompous-ish, but you cant expect perfection from the entry level sedan from Lexus. yes, i know its not excuse, but its still not lexus's top priority. The flagship is.

I agree that the paint chip could have happened anywhere, from the shipment or from the drive home.

OK, here's my .02.

"The relentless pursuit of perfection" is merely an ad campaign. Is any car truly perfect? All you have to do is peruse these forums to see that in fact there are all kinds of problems, large and small, with Lexus automobiles. Overall, you must admit they are very excellent cars. The quality is seen throughout. Perhaps the slogan tells on itself....they are still in the act of pursuing...a goal not attained just yet? But they do a very good job, and comparing them to GM? Please, no comparison.

I totally agree. No car is truly perfect. However, for $35K... it's a great car and the quality is there. You are going to have small exception no matter the car model. As for comparing them GM... give me a break! I had 2004 Corvette before my IS 350 and although I loved it... it had interior quality fit and finish problems since day one. The d*** thing leaked water on the drivers side for crying out loud. Don't even get me started on the lack of service from the Chevy dealers!

OK, here's my .02.

I totally agree. No car is truly perfect. However, for $35K... it's a great car and the quality is there. You are going to have small exception no matter the car model. As for comparing them GM... give me a break! I had 2004 Corvette before my IS 350 and although I loved it... it had interior quality fit and finish problems since day one. The d*** thing leaked water on the drivers side for crying out loud. Don't even get me started on the lack of service from the Chevy dealers!

Now that I've vented, I must say, after close inspection, fit and finish of the car is almost flawless. Granted, multiple inspections of the car should have caught the stray plastic (nobody's perfect). As for the paint chip (which probably did occur after the final inspection), the dealer gave me a free bottle of touch-up paint. They would've dabbed it on at the dealership, but I chose to do it myself (I have one of those Langka Paint Chip & Scratch Repair kits, so I feel I'll do a better job myself).

My new IS 250 is every bit the equal, quality-wise, of the RX 330 I traded in and much, much better than any of the domestic cars I've owned in the past. I think back to 1980, when I bought my first brand-new car, a Dodge 024 (basically a sporty car built on an Omni frame) - cost me less than $6000. Probably the most fun car to drive that I've ever owned (IS excepted), but mechanically and build-wise, one of the biggest pieces of s**t I ever had. I was only able to keep it for a couple of years due to quality issues. I fully expect to keep my Lexus until I get tired of it; I don't forsee any mechanical or quality problems which will force me to get rid of it. I think Lexus' high level of attention to detail and quality of construction make their vehicles, dollar-for-dollar, a great value.

Got the chance to spend an extended period of time with my new IS 250. Surprisingly, I found a couple fo things I didn't like. First of all, there is a paint chip in the front hood, almost dead center. This is not a paint chip which was caused by a rock, etc. It is on the edge of the hood, facing the driver, and over a quarter inch long. It must've been there from day one, since it's in such an unusual spot. I'll have to repair it (as best I can) with touch-up paint.

The second is a piece of plastic hanging off the passenger-side speaker. This plastic strip was about 2 inches square, and probably served as protection for the speaker prior to installation. In any case, it was clearly visible through the side window. All I had to do was roll down the window and carefully pull the plastic off. No big deal, BUT..

I thought Lexus vehicles were extensively inspected before leaving the factory. I was told each vehicle was put on a platform and given a true "white glove" inspection, and any defects were promptly corrected before the vehicle could leave the factory.. In addition, vehicles are inspected at the dealership prior to delivery. A careful inspection would have revealed the two things I found, and they could have been corrected well before I took delivery.

This is what I would expect if I bought a Chevy, not a Lexus. What happened to "the relentless pursuit of perfection"?

I still feel that the Hood has something wrong with it.. I have chips all over the hood.. and hood only... Other then that... All I can say is... WOW... my car is now over a year old... almost 18k miles... and this week I'm heading in to have the door hinges replaced.. the new brake pads put on (the break dust is just annoying).. and just maybe a few minor issues... Its made me a Lexus buyer for life...

Just out of curiousity, did you inspect the vehicle carefully when it was delivered? I went over mine with a fine tooth comb before I accepted it, and I would have noticed any minor dings, scratches, or minor imperfections. There was a minor gap in the dash where the navi meets the black plastic, and I made them align it better and remove the gap.

Lexus makes a really well built car, and the dealer should do their part to deliver it with zero defects, but some of the responsibility is yours. If the paint chip on the hood was there when the car was delivered, then it really should have been brought to the dealer's attention at that time by you.

Just out of curiousity, did you inspect the vehicle carefully when it was delivered? I went over mine with a fine tooth comb before I accepted it, and I would have noticed any minor dings, scratches, or minor imperfections. There was a minor gap in the dash where the navi meets the black plastic, and I made them align it better and remove the gap.

Lexus makes a really well built car, and the dealer should do their part to deliver it with zero defects, but some of the responsibility is yours. If the paint chip on the hood was there when the car was delivered, then it really should have been brought to the dealer's attention at that time by you.

Part of the problem was that on the day I took delivery of the car I worked late. Then, by the time we completed the paperwork and the salesman brought the car out it was nearly dark. We were both inside the car and he was explaining the features (how to use the nav, etc.) when it started to rain. Had I been able to get to the dealership a little earlier I would have had a chance to inspect the car much better than I did. As is, I worked late again the following day, so it wasn't until two days after delivery that I saw the paint chip, and not until the following weekend that I spotted the dangling plastic.

But you are correct, ultimately it was my responsibility to give the vehicle a full inspection prior to taking delivery and I neglected to do so. In my desire to get the car ASAP I trusted the dealer to provide me with a "perfect" car, which he didn't do. Still, the imperfections were minor, and it is a great vehicle. I was much more POed when I made my initial post than I am now. I know that within a few months I'll get a door ding or two which will be lots worse than the small paint chip...

Part of the problem was that on the day I took delivery of the car I worked late. Then, by the time we completed the paperwork and the salesman brought the car out it was nearly dark. We were both inside the car and he was explaining the features (how to use the nav, etc.) when it started to rain. Had I been able to get to the dealership a little earlier I would have had a chance to inspect the car much better than I did. As is, I worked late again the following day, so it wasn't until two days after delivery that I saw the paint chip, and not until the following weekend that I spotted the dangling plastic.

But you are correct, ultimately it was my responsibility to give the vehicle a full inspection prior to taking delivery and I neglected to do so. In my desire to get the car ASAP I trusted the dealer to provide me with a "perfect" car, which he didn't do. Still, the imperfections were minor, and it is a great vehicle. I was much more POed when I made my initial post than I am now. I know that within a few months I'll get a door ding or two which will be lots worse than the small paint chip...

Not that it matters how it happened, except to prevent reoccurance, but is the hood chip where someone might have raised the hood while the wipers were in the raised position (while washing, for example)?

I think what may have happened if his vehicle was test driven or something someone just walking by could have caused the chip. Also, some dealers wash the car which I hate.

Now for the "Pursuit of Perfection Talk" I don't think anyone can touch the IS's build for the price. I was an avid Honda fan until I started shopping for a near luxury car. Nothing from Cadillac/Lincoln/Acura could convince me for the price range. Acura/Cadillac navigation systems were very sloppy and Lincoln was well Lincoln ;). Don't even get me started on domestic interiors! I think even the Koreans have higher quality interiors (Take a look at the Hyundai Azera and then even a Cadillac STS, talk about embarrassing).

There is a reason why Lexus gets paired with 1st tier Lux brands like BMW and Mercedes and why the rest don't.

BTW this is my first post Hi everyone!!

Not that it matters how it happened, except to prevent reoccurance, but is the hood chip where someone might have raised the hood while the wipers were in the raised position (while washing, for example)?

Bingo! When I raised the passenger-side wiper and lifted the hood the paint chip lined up perfectly with the wiper. I'll bet that happened during dealer prep, and I know the kid who washed the car sure wasn't going to tell his boss that he just chipped the paint on a brand-new Lexus. My Lexus dealer doesn't even do their own car washing and detailing - they share the wash with the Toyota + Kia dealersips nearby (same owners). And I don't think that the car washers are the most experienced (or highest paid) employees there either.

I really couldn't believe that Lexus would let the car leave the factory with a paint chip like that, however small it is. Thanks for helping sort out what, in all probability, happened to cause the chip. Maybe I'll call my salesman to express my concern - he might be able to hook me up with a free license plate frame or something for my trouble...

I think what may have happened if his vehicle was test driven or something someone just walking by could have caused the chip. Also, some dealers wash the car which I hate.

Now for the "Pursuit of Perfection Talk" I don't think anyone can touch the IS's build for the price. I was an avid Honda fan until I started shopping for a near luxury car. Nothing from Cadillac/Lincoln/Acura could convince me for the price range. Acura/Cadillac navigation systems were very sloppy and Lincoln was well Lincoln ;). Don't even get me started on domestic interiors! I think even the Koreans have higher quality interiors (Take a look at the Hyundai Azera and then even a Cadillac STS, talk about embarrassing).

There is a reason why Lexus gets paired with 1st tier Lux brands like BMW and Mercedes and why the rest don't.

Welcome to the forum, SL6!

I think CWS nailed it when he suggested the wipers being raised and the hood being lifted while being washed. The location of the chip makes the other scenarios unlikely.

You are correct when you speak of the IS' build being above the competition, especially the domestic automakers. Why do you think the domestics are losing so much market share? They can talk quality all they want, but IMHO they just don't deliver. Fit and finish seem especially bad. Funny that you should mention Hyundai. In the late 80's a friend of mine had a Hyundai Excel - biggest POS I ever rode in. They have come such a long way since then. Their vehicles now seem exceptionally well-built, and fairly stylish too (not to mention great pricing and warranty). If they ever come up with a luxury division they could be worthy competition for Lexus...

• 5 weeks later...

How could you say some dealers hate the car which you hate. They are just trying to selll cars ahaha. Try selling dirty cars, thatll be easy :)