High Test Gas In Gs 400 Is It Necessary?

My 1998 GS 400 w/ 70K runs great on premium gas (91 octain). Now with premium gas selling at $3.20/gal in NY, will I harm or cause any negative effects by using regular (87 octain) or regular plus (89 octain) gasoline? I've heard that using less than 91 octain will cause engine ping or damage. Also, 91 octain gasoline is recommended in owners manual.

I am a conservative driver and would like to hear from other GS 400 owners or technicians about experience with use of lower than 91 octain gas in their vehicles.

My 1998 GS 400 w/ 70K runs great on premium gas (91 octain). Now with premium gas selling at $3.20/gal in NY, will I harm or cause any negative effects by using regular (87 octain) or regular plus (89 octain) gasoline? I've heard that using less than 91 octain will cause engine ping or damage. Also, 91 octain gasoline is recommended in owners manual.

I am a conservative driver and would like to hear from other GS 400 owners or technicians about experience with use of lower than 91 octain gas in their vehicles.

My advice, You drive the best, Treat it the best, Burn primo. The car really runs better on 91. :cheers:

Duplicate post ? Merged, Thanx.

I also have a 98 GS400. I have tried putting a plus unleaded from time to time, and it has caused no harm. However, I noticed that my gas mileage per galloon have drop off a bit. I would recommend to sticking to premium unleaded. Pings only occurs on heavier loads. However, if I was you I would not completely switch to regular or plus unleaded. There has been quite a few research on this forum in regards to using a regular unleaded gasoline. Just do a search and you will see more comments about it. Good luck and enjoy your GS400!!

My advice, You drive the best, Treat it the best, Burn primo. The car really runs better on 91.:cheers:

My advice, You drive the best, Treat it the best, Burn primo. The car really runs better on 91.:cheers:

i'll have to agree with these guys, you drive a lex and expect the best. give it the best. every now and then give it some octane booster as well

• 1 month later...

i'll have to agree with these guys, you drive a lex and expect the best. give it the best. every now and then give it some octane booster as well

i tried that once when gas was getting expensive 3.75 in CA so I put a few gallons of 87 in my tank I was on empty, my car started to stutter on acceleration and while driving at freeway speeds i noticed a little hesitation like a miss, so i said f that and luckily i didnt have alot to burn out, and never tried that again. all i have to say is dont do it. just try to conserve gas buy driving 70 and not running the ac in the city