My 93 Es With 290k Was Killed On Friday

My '93 ES300 with 290k miles was totaled last Friday when I was hit (almost head on) by a guy going the opposite way on an undivided four lane highway. He either had a flat or a front end problem and he could not control his 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The car looks like I should be dead. I escaped with minor facial lacerations from flying glass. I haven't gotten the official verdict from his insurance company, but I'm sure it's totaled. I'm not looking forward to finding out how much they are going to give me for it. I loved that car. It burned a quart of oil about every 1500 miles, but besides that it was perfect (obviously the LED needles in the dash didn't work).

Some numbers: purchased in July of '97 with 37k miles for $16,000. I put in 3 timing belts, 1 clutch, 1 distributor, only changed the spark plug wires once, replaced a window regulator, had to pay Lexus $300 to fix an ABS sensor, had several seals and gaskets replaced, replaced 3 antennaes, and put $1,100 into the AC late last summer. I can't really think of any other major repairs including no muffler, alternator, starter, power steering pump, motor mounts, or even the thermostat.

At this juncture, I believe I am going to replace it with a 2004 ES330. It looks like I can get one with less than 40k miles (with Navigation and Levinson stereo) for around $22,000.

I really thought I would drive thar car forever. RIP. :cries:

My '93 ES300 with 290k miles was totaled last Friday when I was hit (almost head on) by a guy going the opposite way on an undivided four lane highway. He either had a flat or a front end problem and he could not control his 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The car looks like I should be dead. I escaped with minor facial lacerations from flying glass. I haven't gotten the official verdict from his insurance company, but I'm sure it's totaled. I'm not looking forward to finding out how much they are going to give me for it. I loved that car. It burned a quart of oil about every 1500 miles, but besides that it was perfect (obviously the LED needles in the dash didn't work).

Some numbers: purchased in July of '97 with 37k miles for $16,000. I put in 3 timing belts, 1 clutch, 1 distributor, only changed the spark plug wires once, replaced a window regulator, had to pay Lexus $300 to fix an ABS sensor, had several seals and gaskets replaced, replaced 3 antennaes, and put $1,100 into the AC late last summer. I can't really think of any other major repairs including no muffler, alternator, starter, power steering pump, motor mounts, or even the thermostat.

At this juncture, I believe I am going to replace it with a 2004 ES330. It looks like I can get one with less than 40k miles (with Navigation and Levinson stereo) for around $22,000.

I really thought I would drive thar car forever. RIP.:cries:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your ES :cries:

Mine is also a '93 (automatic) and has about the same mileage as yours had when it met its untimely and unfortunate death.

I've been slowly repairing the minor issues the car had when I bought it (loose seam in leather of drivers seat $60, faulty seat heater switch $30, radio antenna mast $15, cluster needles $3, new Lexus floor mats $140, paint chip touchups $10, etc.) but it's looking and running great and I plan on driving it until it can't be driven no more...which hopefully is still a looooong way down the road... :rolleyes:

I don't think you can go wrong with buying another ES.

I really thought I would drive thar car forever. RIP.:cries:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your ES :cries:

Mine is also a '93 (automatic) and has about the same mileage as yours had when it met its untimely and unfortunate death.

I've been slowly repairing the minor issues the car had when I bought it (loose seam in leather of drivers seat $60, faulty seat heater switch $30, radio antenna mast $15, cluster needles $3, new Lexus floor mats $140, paint chip touchups $10, etc.) but it's looking and running great and I plan on driving it until it can't be driven no more...which hopefully is still a looooong way down the road... :rolleyes:

I don't think you can go wrong with buying another ES.

Sorry for your loss :cries: , I am happy to hear that you are ok :cheers:

yea you really cant go wrong. When I see people bring in an older es300 into carmax to get appraised, I get happy knowing it has tons of miles because that obviously shows it lasts as long as you take care of it. I dont drive much at all, about 6-8k miles a year so we'll see how long my ES lasts but good knowing your ok, shoot a 02 dodge 1500? eff that..