Where Is The Coolant Temp Sensor?

oldls400

Hi: I have a 90 model LS 400 and the engine temp guage has slowly gotten to the point where it now barely moves up off the bottom no matter how hot it is. Can anybody tell me where the temp sensor is located? I tried using search but haven't had much luck. Thanks!

That's the one for the ECM - I need the one for the temp gage. But I found it! Believe it or not I found a guy at Autozone who actually knew something about cars and he was able to use their componet locator. Its actually right next to the other one but has only a 1 wire connector. Thanks for the help though!

By the way is that whole manual available on this site? or for sale somewhere?

You can go to Toyota/Lexus Service Support for manual downloads.

"Subscription access to TIS is offered in daily, monthly, or yearly intervals following the rate schedule noted below:

Daily $10.00 US

Monthly $50.00 US

Yearly $350.00 US

NOTE: All subscriptions expire at midnight, Pacific Time on the last day of your term. This means a one-day subscription may actually provide greater than 24 hours of usable access."

That's the one for the ECM - I need the one for the temp gage. But I found it! Believe it or not I found a guy at Autozone who actually knew something about cars and he was able to use their componet locator. Its actually right next to the other one but has only a 1 wire connector. Thanks for the help though!

Edit 2: "LScott400", can you tell me if you updated the PDF from the ECM to the ECT? Because the PDF you provided is for the ECT (Temp Gauge) & if its correct I'm not quite sure why "oldls400" said you posted the ECM one, because now my posts below are irrelevant.

The temp gauge sensor you found is it to the left of the ECM sensor if you are facing the engine block from the front of the car? It looks like I have to remove the air intake system in order to get that out in my SC400. That ECM PDF is very helpful, do you have one for the temp gauge? My dash gauge says its overheating, but there are no signs of leaks or coolant needed so I want to start with the sensor to see if it fixes the problem, thanks.

EDIT: After looking at diagram again & engine, it looks like Temp sensor is to the right of the ECM sensor & I can remove the Temp sensor without having to remove the air intake connector because its not in the way. Can anyone verify this for me?

Hey this is the first thread that had a problem I knew about... Listen I had this problem it cost about 20$ to fix... Just go to auto zone and pick up a thermostat its so easy to do it took me ten minutes.. Don't forget to buy the gasket though