Brake Help For 93 Ls 400

Alan C

Hello to all -

It's been awhile since I have posted. My 1993 LS 400 has been running great! The reason I am writing is that just last week my "brake pad change" light came on. When I called the dealership they told me it would be $330 to replace 2 brake pads, and that's if they haven't damaged the rotors. $330? Are you serious?

My first question is: Is it really necessary for me to have these changed at a dealership? I didn't even know the car had sensors to detect when the brake pads need changing. Can any mechanic handle this?

Secondly, how long do I have to get the pads changed from when the indicator light comes on?

Lastly, How do I know whether just two pads or all four need changing?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice, as my car knowledge isn't the greatest!

Alan C.

Hey Alan,

Your very lucky because i just changed my brake pads and rotors yesterday. If i can handle it, any qualified mechanic can. It super easy. I bought after market brake pads and rotors and from what i can tell, almost no after market brake pads have the sensor. Strangely enough only my outer brake pads needed to be changed. The inner brakes (these have the sensor) had about 40% life left so i didn't replace them. I'm not sure what happens when you put brake pads without the sensor. Any other mechanics, can you shed some light on this?

A set of oem brake pads from the lexus dealer should cost about 55-60 for the front, and same for the rear. So about 110 for parts (8 pads total, 4 regular, 4 with sensor). A good mechanic with a lift should be able to do the work in an hour. It took me 2.5 hours because... I'm a novice, i had to re-organize my tool set, i only had a jack so i had to lift the car 4 times( each wheel, each corner) and i replaced the rotors too.

If you don't hear your brakes squeal yet your fine for a while. Also look at your rotor, if its smooth, you don't need to replace it. Oh and when braking at highway speeds there should be no shaking. If there is shaking, your rotors are probably warped.

Hope this helps. :D

Hey OmarG,

I'd definitely suggest changing the all of the brake pads at once.

The next time you could end up damaging your rotors when the one side is done and the other is still good.

Also, the brake pad wear sensors can be moved fromt the old pads to the new ones.

If you look at the new pads you'll see there is a hole on the frame on one side of each pad.

The sensor can be removed from the old pad and put onto the new pad without anything more than a flathead screwdriver.

It is held in with a small metal clip. Once the clip is out you can push the sensor out toward the pad side then pass the wire through the space on the side.

Reinstall on the new pad using the same metal clip.

really?? oh man. I'm gonna do that now.

Don't worry I'm not gonna damage anything. I was just gonna wait and put new pads from the dealer(like in a couple weeks) But now i don't need too!

Thanks!

really?? oh man. I'm gonna do that now.

Don't worry I'm not gonna damage anything. I was just gonna wait and put new pads from the dealer(like in a couple weeks) But now i don't need too!

Thanks!

Omar, as dfkd says.. always replace the pad set at once. Also ..whenever you replace the rotor, even if the pads look great, they should still be changed at the same time! Last but not least, you said that one side had alot of pad left? I might want to check the caliper sliding pins, infact , go to Autozone or what have you, and buy " calipers sliding pins lube" usually when i get mine, they come in small packets. Anyway, everytime you do your brakes, always lube the sliding pins, the ones with that tiny boot moving the caliper on braket. Over time the lube inside will dry up, or the boot might come off, then the caliper will seize, and one or both side of the pads will fail, along with the caliper, it would be good preventive maintanance. Good luck!! :cheers:

• 3 months later...

ok, so the brake wear indicator (red circle) just came on my 93 ls400. The brake job done back in april was done on my sisters 94 ls. Anyway, if i get new oem toyota pads, can i reconnect the little wire on the pads? Or will i need to get a new sensor?

Hey OmarG,

I'd definitely suggest changing the all of the brake pads at once.

The next time you could end up damaging your rotors when the one side is done and the other is still good.

Also, the brake pad wear sensors can be moved fromt the old pads to the new ones.

If you look at the new pads you'll see there is a hole on the frame on one side of each pad.

The sensor can be removed from the old pad and put onto the new pad without anything more than a flathead screwdriver.

It is held in with a small metal clip. Once the clip is out you can push the sensor out toward the pad side then pass the wire through the space on the side.

Reinstall on the new pad using the same metal clip.