1997 Es

I just recently purches a 1997 Es300 With 123,000 miles on her...The car looks Imaculant ..Timming belt was done at 80,000miles. I have been use to the 92 series and I am not to fimilar with this generation. I have searched the forums and seen there is a promblem with engine sludge. Unfortantly I dont have the maintance records for oil changes.I Had my mechanic put oil cleaner through the engine and plan on changing the oil Every 1,500 miles for the next 10 oil changes. My Question is if there is sludge in there , would this process help clean it out??????The Engine purrrs like a kitten , No abvious signs of mechanical failure.

Another Question is, if the backlighting in the cluster unit should fail , is it servicable ? Meaning is there bulbs that can be replaced ?

I just recently purches a 1997 Es300 With 123,000 miles on her...The car looks Imaculant ..Timming belt was done at 80,000miles. I have been use to the 92 series and I am not to fimilar with this generation. I have searched the forums and seen there is a promblem with engine sludge. Unfortantly I dont have the maintance records for oil changes.I Had my mechanic put oil cleaner through the engine and plan on changing the oil Every 1,500 miles for the next 10 oil changes. My Question is if there is sludge in there , would this process help clean it out??????The Engine purrrs like a kitten , No abvious signs of mechanical failure.

Another Question is, if the backlighting in the cluster unit should fail , is it servicable ? Meaning is there bulbs that can be replaced ?

That should help clean the engine, but try using seafoam to do a really good engine flush, do a search for seafoam and u will know what to do. The back lighting is not going to fail at all, 97 and up have cathodes and electronically controlled needles, so they wont die out like pre 96 -92 models. Congrats

Sure fire way to check for sludge is to pull the valve cover and have a look and see...

I agree. or do an oil test and see what comes back. My guess is if there are no signs (smoking/using oil), you are golden. Most people are in scare mode about sludge & these engines....I hate that.

I think it would be a waste of money to have it checked for sludge...I will Just change the oil Every 1,500 miles. What Exactly Does sludge do to a Engine anways?

it gums up the little passage ways.

i change my oil every 5000 miles, and when i took off my valve covers to change the gaskets it had alomost no sludge and that was at about 135k a bout a year or so ago.