Tranny Flush And Filter Change

Gunnut

I just checked my tranny fluid. It is very dark. No red tint to it at all. I know to use the Toyota fluid. going to do a complete flush as well as a filter change this weekend. I'm guessing it'd be better to do the flush and then sacrifice 3 quarts of fresh fluid and change out the filter last.

Any opinions to share? The car has 163k on it. Spotty records so I don't know hte last time it was changed but given the color of the fluid, it's been a while.

JimA

A single experience:

Our '94 had fluid like you describe. Did the flush and filter change with Toyota fluid. Great for a month and then it started having problems going into gear when cold. But then it also had nearly 300,000 miles on it. I think I have seen posts suggesting a more gradual fluid change. Drain the pan and add new fluid when you do oil changes. If I could rewind I would have done it that way and then done the filter after the fluid was looking better. Don't mean to scare you, just passing on my disappointing experience.

I had my tranny flushed recently and my mechanic was really surprised at how dark the fluid was even with 54K but it did not smell the least bit burnt. Replaced it with Toyota fluid which is quite a bit thinner than your typical fluid. The mechanic did not feel the need to change the filter or even drop the pan so we didn't. He suggested I flush the tranny every 30K from now on as he does with all of his personal cars and I'll check the color in another 2,000 miles just to see if it's dark already.

I did the fluid on our LS months and months back and I was surprised how good it looked. Im gonna say around 130k and it was red getting redder but nothing that had me saying "Wow Im glad Im doing this now!" The filter is what truly amazed me. It was like new. I mean besides that cliche its hard to explain. That had me really proud of Japanese engineering! Make sure you add enough. Mine said full but I added another ouart .5 and it was fine. The tranny would miss gears and thats how I knew. Gettin the old seal off is kinda hard. I used a razor knife the way round and kinda wedged something in there to free it. Besides me spilling cause the car wasnt level not too bad!

On another note! Had the one on my BMW done last week and those are "lifetime" fill but thats BS so I got it back and it was making a whine when you first accelarate and that means its either low or a bad filter. I have to take it back and have them check the level on it using the temperature of it. Major PITA!! So make sure you dont take that tranny dipstick for granted now :)

I'm right in the middle of this process myself, but from what I've read, a powerflush can be bad for your tranny and can lead to problems with seals.

Instead, I have my mechanic drain the pan and refill every time I have work done (which recently has been every two weeks -- brakes, exhaust, oil change). I'm going to continue this until my fluid is the right color.

I've had it done twice and the change while driving is very noticeable, and my fluid color is improving.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I'm having my transmission change for 3 days now. First I could not get the pan off. I used a piece of wood and a hamer. It was off the seal. Then I can't get the pan off the the bracket -which connects to the exhausted eventhough the pan is loosing. I think about put it back, fill it up and bring it to Toyota dealer to get it change (I was trying to get the old gasket off, but it did not work either). If any one have any idea, pls let me know.