93 Ls 400 Speedometer Needle Not Working. Help!

Cody

93 LS 400. Had the instrument cluster re-done by Jim Walker last year. Everything now worked perfectly. Now, all of a sudden the speedometer needle does not move off of 0. Any help appreciated.

Cody

This is a very common problem with the mid-90's LS models. The speedometer problem usually occurs in conjunction with tachometer problems.

Read through the sticky at the top of the page which discusses the numerous instrument panel problems and fixes. Your problem is discussed in numerous posts in that thread.

Before you spend any money, try giving the dash area on top of the speedometer a good thunk. I have a '95, and my speedometer and tach don't always come to life when I start the car, but giving the speedo a pound will bring them to life. It may or may not help, but it is free! Take a look at this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...;hl=speedometer

Thanks everyone. I talked with Jim Walker and he says it is a common problem. He has the fix. For our trip home, before I remove the instrument cluster and send it to him, I will try the "thumping theory" to see if I can jiggle the needle to start, so the speedo will temporarily work. Cody

I changed caps a while back to address my cluster problems and things were great. A month or so ago the speedo would intermittently not function, so I would "thump" the dash to jumpstart it. I don't know if it is related, but now the end 1/4 of the needle won't illuminate. Thinking perhaps the "thumping" caused a cracking of the conductive material on the needle.