Auto Tilt Away Steering

The owners manual says the " auto tilt away " steering wheel "can be set inoperative, see dealer for details". Anyone know how the dealer would do so? It tilts out of the way when I turn the key off but when I turn the key back on it stays tilted up; it will telescope in/out but not down (it will go up a short way but not down.) I can play with different in/out positions until I occasionally get to a spot that will allow up/down to work manually. That is why I am thinking to get it in the right postion and then make it inoperative (last option would be to drive to the dealer and ask them to do same.)

I have seen the other posts on putting in a spacer behind the gear but that seems like it would help the gear run the steering column in/out but not up/down. Right?

The owners manual says the " auto tilt away " steering wheel "can be set inoperative, see dealer for details". Anyone know how the dealer would do so? It tilts out of the way when I turn the key off but when I turn the key back on it stays tilted up; it will telescope in/out but not down (it will go up a short way but not down.) I can play with different in/out positions until I occasionally get to a spot that will allow up/down to work manually. That is why I am thinking to get it in the right postion and then make it inoperative (last option would be to drive to the dealer and ask them to do same.)

I have seen the other posts on putting in a spacer behind the gear but that seems like it would help the gear run the steering column in/out but not up/down. Right?

The dealer would use a Lexus handheld tester to deactivate the tilt/telescope function. I think the mechanism on the 98-00 is quite a bit different that what you seen in tutorials on how to fix the tilt/telescope issues on the earlier LS400's.

There was a recall to fix problems with the tilt/telescope system on the 98-00 LS400's. In involved replacing the motors and lots of parts - a very expensive recall program. Unfortunately lots of 98-00 LS400's never got the problems fixed under the recall. I was fortunate that my 00 LS was built after all the fixes were implemented on the production line.

Its incorporated into the C=BEST settings like Jim said.

I'd look into whether or not you can get them to do the recall...

Thanks for that advice. The dealer did use the C-best handheld computer reader to check the setting and inactivate the tilt away and I am happy now. Especially since I can still adjust the steering wheel position manually. I checked the service bulletins and recalls and did not see anything.

Its incorporated into the C=BEST settings like Jim said.

I'd look into whether or not you can get them to do the recall...

Thanks for that advice. The dealer did use the C-best handheld computer reader to check the setting and inactivate the tilt away and I am happy now. Especially since I can still adjust the steering wheel position manually. I checked the service bulletins and recalls and did not see anything.

If your local library subscribes to the "EBSCO Auto Repair Reference Center" service, like my local public library does, you can find the information about the recall for the tilt/telescope in the EBSCO database. Look for the "steering column noise" TSIB under "1998 Lexus LS400; Steering, Suspension".

I doubt that a TSIB repair will be done for free on a nine year old car but it does not hurt to ask. Lexus required the repair of the tilt/telescope problem to be done while the car was within its basic 4 year/50,000 mile warranty.

• 2 months later...

The dealer would use a Lexus handheld tester to deactivate the tilt/telescope function. I think the mechanism on the 98-00 is quite a bit different that what you seen in tutorials on how to fix the tilt/telescope issues on the earlier LS400's.

There was a recall to fix problems with the tilt/telescope system on the 98-00 LS400's. In involved replacing the motors and lots of parts - a very expensive recall program. Unfortunately lots of 98-00 LS400's never got the problems fixed under the recall. I was fortunate that my 00 LS was built after all the fixes were implemented on the production line.

How do you know if your 2000 LS 400 has the fixes from the production line? I just bought the car and have noticed the rubbing noise when the auto tilt is moving.

Dave

How do you know if your 2000 LS 400 has the fixes from the production line? I just bought the car and have noticed the rubbing noise when the auto tilt is moving.

Dave