99 Rx300 Vibration

Santa

Everytime when I stop at the red light at D shift, I notice vibration and noise. Not very loud but noticable. But when I put it into N the vibration and noise is gone. Anyone can give me advise. Also the D shift light at the dash board is gone, is it just the bulb burns or indicate other problems? Thanks very much!!

Everytime when I stop at the red light at D shift, I notice vibration and noise. Not very loud but noticable. But when I put it into N the vibration and noise is gone. Anyone can give me advise. Also the D shift light at the dash board is gone, is it just the bulb burns or indicate other problems? Thanks very much!!

The vibration is not normal, as for the lamp yes it is a bulb that can be replaced.

Air conditioner on or off? Mine seems to make a heavy load on the engine at idle.

For Drive Indicator Light: (not my work, stolen from another site)

Follow these instructions and it should take you no longer than 15 minutes.

1. Remove 2 screws at the top of the black bezel around the cluster.

2. Pull trim piece straight out on the left of the steering wheel, the trim that houses the

seat memory switch. Not the seat memory switch itself, but the plastic piece that

holds all the switches

3. Pull trim piece straight out that is around the key. Not the black rubber piece around

the ignition switch that says PUSH

4. Tilt steering wheel all the way down.

5. Remove black bezel around cluster, start from the bottom and pull out.

6. Remove 3 screws holding cluster in. They are on the side of the cluster. Don't forget

the top screw

7. Pull cluster out enough to get your hand behind and unplug the 3 connectors.

8. Remove cluster from car, you will kinda have to move it around a little bit to get it out,

be careful not to scratch the lens.

9. Lay cluster face down on a soft towel.

10. You will see a white plastic cover on the back, remove the 8 gold colored screws

holding this cover on.

11. Pull cover off, turn the cluster over and look where the gear selector letters are, on the

oppisite side you will see 3 black and 2 green little cap looking things. These are the

bulbs. Simply unscrew to remove. you may swap the park light bulb for the drive bulb.

Or you can order one in advance.

12. Put all together in reverse order.

The vibration topic was discussed on this forum in some detail a while back. I have also noticed the vibration and find it to be very irritating. I own two RX300s and one of them vibrates more than the other. It only occurs when the car is in gear at a stop. Put it in neutral and the vibration is gone. I can't recall what the solution was to fix the problem. Call the dealer. I'm sure they are aware of the problem.

• 1 month later...

You might want to have the motor mounts checked. I had a similar problem with a Jeep Grand Cherokee several years ago and that's what it turned out to be. It was still under warranty and the two times I complained about it, they said they didn't notice it when they test-drove it. I had the service manager drive it with me in the car and he immediately noticed it and knew what it was. The vibration stopped when the broken mount was replaced.

The "D" light on the dash of my 1999 is also out. I see this is very common. It's not a big enough problem for me to cause me to replace it

Both the vibration and the lamp-out are quite common. The D lamp is irrelevant but the idle viration is a bit annoying. I , like many, have gotten into the habit of shifting into N at stoplights but this should'nt happen on this level of vehicle. I do realize my 300 is getting a bit old so I dont expect so much from it anymore and just overlook the vibration. I recently cleaned the IACV and it really didn't diminsh the idle viration much ( but it definitely did solve the super-low-idle-when-restarting-a-warm-engine problem:-)

Heres a link to the previous discussion on this topic and although there are some interesting insights, no real solutions other than possibly (likely?) the fluid filled engine mount as a culprit. Theres a link in here that references the (then) new active engine mounts as being " the first time ever technology ." That usually means disaster. Wait for the next version when they get it figured out :-o

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...20stop&st=0