55000 Scheduled Maintenance

theshaman

whats up everybody? i hope all is well . i just bought a 2003 is300 and it has 55000 miles on it, just in time for the scheduled maintenance. i was wondering if anybody knkows roughly how much its gonna cost me at the lexus dealer. i'm in the los angeles area.

thanks,

the shaman

• 1 month later...

55k is nothing, most dealer would just do a tire rotation and oil change, also check out ur brake and see if they can sell u anyting eles they think u need. i would just save up $$ for the 60k service caz it would cause u an arm and leg if u havent been doing ur service,

Make up your own package and ask the dealership to come down on price when doing many major changes. As long as they know you want service done, they will negotiate.

You can save money on labor by doing major work at once, while that engine is out, such as timing belt, plugs, drive belts, valve adjustment, and inspect the water pump. I would cut the tire rotation, oil change, water change.

When it comes to fluid changes, and tire rotations, those are things that don't involve the engine being removed and can be done elsewhere at a reputable garage at a less charge. You can even buy the Toyota filter and anti freeze and most places will still change it for you, using the approved Toyota parts.

I would use the dealership on a major job, since it will be done with genuine parts and knowledge, but cut out the jobs that don't require the knowledge of the dealership.

You may be able to squeeze in a more vital job at the same price of a major maintenance "special", which may include things that could be done elsewhere.

Try asking about both and see what gets you the most vital changes for your money.

If you go to the dealership, they should assign you a service tech. I also just bought a 2003 IS 300 with 21,000 miles on it. I figured the 30,000 mile service was coming so I should call and find out whats up. Once they assigned the service tech to me, he and I went over everything they perform for that service. I could delete anything I wanted, and the price was adjusted accordingly. For example I didn't want a new air filter, price dropped 18.00. But I upgraded to full synthetic oil change, price went up 40.00. etc.etc.

Also, they did a full vehicle inspection and report for free. They told me about wear level on parts such as brakes and tires. They gave the car a full evaluation and did a service history search, they found the car had been serviced at Lexus of Melbourne, and told me that the car had all it's maintenances so far and the factory warrentee was still in effect until June of 2008. They even contacted the extened warrentee company I purchased with the car to verify coverage and coverage limitations until 100,000 miles or 8 years.

My advice is go to the dealer, and get a service tech. He has been great! he even scheduled a user car for the day my car was in service! This Lexus of Winter Park is freakin nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!