Starting Problem

BlackLex

I never do this but I ran my 94 LS low on gas (above the the E but the light was on). I stopped for gas

and filled it up ,letting my son put the gas cap back on, I then tried starting and it would'nt .

It turned over but wouldn't start a couple three times I finally had to give it a little gas and it finally started

and ran perfectly like always I then drove home about 250 mi. and on the way stopped a few times and

the same thing( long turn over to start )like never before.

The next day I put in a can of seafoam and filled the tank. but I noticed when my son had put the gas cap

back on the day before it was not fully tightened. could this have something todo with it?

I made sure after fill up that the cap was tight and a day later I disconnected the battery to reset things

but it is still starting bad . Did I over heat the fuel pump when low on gas? Did I get some crap from the

gas tank into the lines , filter , check valve, injecters ?

My car runs great after starting like usuall. it has 160,000 mi. on it

You did raise two good points - the crap from the bottom of the tank and the fuel pump being exhausted. Go with changing the fuel filter first. Theres a tutorial on lexls.com for it, see if it makes a difference. If not - well, your fuel filter probably needed changing anyway.

as thermactor says .. you never run engine with ZERO gas ... is bad for car due to .. gas tank could build up gunk...however i would go with replace the fuel filter if that doesnt help .. then i would say ... its time for eighter ur starter--- or fuel pump becus its not pumping gas to start - good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

as thermactor says .. you never run engine with ZERO gas ... is bad for car due to .. gas tank could build up gunk...however i would go with replace the fuel filter if that doesnt help .. then i would say ... its time for eighter ur starter--- or fuel pump becus its not pumping gas to start - good luck!

I called my lexus dealer for a filter and he said that he couldn't remember the last time they sold one

he said that they dont even replace them at the dealership because its to easy to break fuel lines.

can I use a wix filter from napa? I think replacing the filter is a GOOD Idea . Ill start there and be

careful with the lines . thanks

...that doesn't sound like good advice.

these engines do not like being low on gas. the '93 I just picked up smoked (steamed) out of the tailpipe while low gas on a warm day, but stopped after the tank was filled.

oh, and change the filter.

Be careful messing with the fuel filter. The dealer was right. I tried to replace mine recently since I have done it on other vehicles. The fuel line fitting is so tight on the filter, its hard not to mess up the fittings. I ended up with my car on a trailer and a half tightened new fuel filter. My LS is a 96, so I don't know if it is a problem with all years. All I have to say is be careful. The repair shop that fixed mine said that the fuel filter probably didn't need changing anyway. Good luck fixing your problem. I would look at the fuel pump and injectors.