Ignition Illumination

qha_vn

my 1990 ls400 came with a black out illuminated ignition. i follow the tutor at: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/ignition.html

but the bad thing is that the bulb and the wire have gone. I cant find it any more. i guess i need to rewire a new one but have no idea of where i would get the positive and negative from.

i guess the ignition will be illuminated only when the (driver) door has been unlocked as it should not be on all the time

thanks for any help

so i may need to remove the climate control and radio to get access to the back where the wiring harness might be

the other day i managed to remove the kick panel cover, steering wheel covers, ignition cover but could not find the wire

does anybody know where the wire should come from? and where i should reach to find. remove the dashboard facing isnt an enjoyable job to me :)

• 5 months later...

i did remove the climate control, and all the ashtray, and center air diffusers to get access to the inside, but i could not find any wire for ignition illumination.

could anybody please help to open your working key illumination light and find where the wire comes from

• 4 weeks later...
i did remove the climate control, and all the ashtray, and center air diffusers to get access to the inside, but i could not find any wire for ignition illumination.

could anybody please help to open your working key illumination light and find where the wire comes from

not sure if its the same;but the panel around my ignition pops off if i pull on it,just havent looked around in there yet,good luck

am wondering how the illumination light works, i notice that the driver door lock illumination is just on when I open it, when the door close, it does not light up. Is this setup right? I think, in dark, the light is for me to easily find where to insert the key to open the door but it wont light up until i open it then what is it for?

another question, the ignition illuminator will be on WHEN, and WHEN it goes off?

anybody?

The wires just branch off the huge bunch of wires behind the ignition cyliner. As you can see in my tutorial the wires for the bulb just go straight back. The end also should have a plastic holder for the bulb. It really shouldn't be too hard to find. There is a possibility that someone cut your wires, maybe an old battery drain.... To get access to all the wires you need to remove both panels directly below the steering wheel and the panel around the ignition.