Iacv Cleaning And Pcv Valve Replacement

Alright, I own a 93 es300. I went out and bought a cheap lil PCV valve to try to help my milage and power, turns out i cant get the damn old one out. Anyone have any tips for gettin this sucker out? its a real pain, im scared im gonna break something.

Also, im staring at what i believe is the IACV, but i have no earthly idea on how to clean the stupid thing, or even if its the right thing i should be cleaning. The idling hasnt been as bad since i put a k & n filter in there but its still pretty annoying.

oh, if anyone has a word on some good fuel additives to clean the carbon and other crap outta my engine, could you let me know?

Much much thanks

Alright, I own a 93 es300. I went out and bought a cheap lil PCV valve to try to help my milage and power, turns out i cant get the damn old one out. Anyone have any tips for gettin this sucker out? its a real pain, im scared im gonna break something.

Also, im staring at what i believe is the IACV, but i have no earthly idea on how to clean the stupid thing, or even if its the right thing i should be cleaning. The idling hasnt been as bad since i put a k & n filter in there but its still pretty annoying.

oh, if anyone has a word on some good fuel additives to clean the carbon and other crap outta my engine, could you let me know?

Much much thanks

For instructions on cleaning IACV, you can find many posts on that by doing a search on "IACV"

For PCV, I took it out by using a screwdriver to lever it out - using the tip of the screw driver as the pivot pressing on the engine valve cover, and using the shaft of the screw driver (which goes under the bent of the PCV) as the force point to slowly pull the PCV upwards until it comes out.

Hope that helps.

Well the PCV is a pain at time. Grab some pliers and pull straight. The grommet is more then likely gone and will break when removing. Pull all the broken stuff out too. Mine always brake and need to buy another.

I also put some lube on the new PCV and it goes right in :)

Also clean the IVAC AND the EGR (if you can). Also clean the TB too. I dislike K&N filters since they gum things up down the road. I had to many issues with "oil glazed" in the past. It is hard to oil them right (in cars). Either it is not enough and your Si levels go through the roof in UOA or you oil too much and kill sensors.

For gas adds I like, Lucas UCL, Fp60 or Neutra 131. For engine smoothness Lucas takes it and 131 is close. 131 will clean more but cost more to buy and a pain to get. I have 4 gallons since I love the stuff! Redline is good too from what I have read. I have used Amsoil PI but my lead levels where again through the roof using it. So I stopped.

Oh, and welcome to LOC!!!! :):)

where did you get your K&N

and how much was it?

thanks

I got the k & n filter at my local advance auto parts, for $65 plus tax. And thank you guys for the tips on getting out my pcv valve. I'll change that and clean the IACV and possibly my EGR and tell you all on how the performance changes.

So....

In an attempt to replace my pcv valce, i broke the tubing that connects to it because the new pcv valve was much larger than the one that was on there> So i temporarly duct taped it, and clamped it. However it still hisses. Anyone have some help on what to do from here? :(

So....

In an attempt to replace my pcv valce, i broke the tubing that connects to it because the new pcv valve was much larger than the one that was on there> So i temporarly duct taped it, and clamped it. However it still hisses. Anyone have some help on what to do from here? :(

Just pull the rubber tube off the other end (there's a little spring clamp you might have to squeeze open with pliers). Take it to an auto parts store & buy a new piece with the same I.D. - it's only about 6 inches long. You might also make sure you have the right PCV valve, it should be the same size as the old one. Connect your new hose (use the old clamp), plug the other end into your new PCV and you're good to go.

BTW, I always get a Toyota OEM PCV for my Lexus (a few more dollars but WAY better quality) and a new grommet. Put in the new PCV, grommet and vacuum hose all at the same time and then you can forget it for a few years, until it's time for a change again. Lots of mysterious symptoms can be cured or avoided just by changing these 3 simple parts.

tck...

mkay... so i fixed the hose and all is well!

So after replacing the Air Filter and PCV valve i have seen AMAZING results!!! Increased power + gas milage + reliability.

But theres still some things left to complete....

[X] Replace Air Filter

[X] Replace PCV valve

[ ] Clean injectors with fuel addatives

[ ] Clean Throttle Body

[ ] Clean IACV

[ ] Clean EGR

So far so good!

mkay... so i fixed the hose and all is well!

So after replacing the Air Filter and PCV valve i have seen AMAZING results!!! Increased power + gas milage + reliability.

But theres still some things left to complete....

[X] Replace Air Filter

[X] Replace PCV valve

[ ] Clean injectors with fuel addatives

[ ] Clean Throttle Body

[ ] Clean IACV

[ ] Clean EGR

So far so good!

hi guys i need some help here, i have a 92 ls 400 check engine light is on, and the codes are 25, and 71, cleaned the egr and the light is still on, i reset the codes, any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have any luck cleaning the IACV and Throtle body ? I could not even take the IAC connector out and was wondering if there is any trick to it... before I attempt it and brake it...

I have a 98 ES 300 with which can not keep idle when starting up and dies immediately unless I press the gas. This happens about once every month or two.

Yea, i finally got some carb cleaner and was able to clean my throttle body, and that worked really well. All you have to do is take off the black rubber induction tube and its right there. Clean that and then put in a k & n filter and that rough idle should disappear.

An update:

[X] Replace Air Filter(k&n)

[X] Replace PCV valve

[X] Clean injectors with fuel addatives

[X] Clean Throttle Body

[X] Clean IACV

[ ] Clean EGR

Its amazing what power you can get with simple little projects

Congratulation... I wish I can say the same in a week... Anyway I have a few questions you might be able to answer:

How did you take the IACV connector out ?

Did you have to remove the throttle body or you could clean it without removing it ?

Did you have to buy any gaskets for the throttle and IACV ?

Did you have to remove the solenoid from the IACV ?

Thanks

Mkay, so first of all, to clean the throttle body requires only removing the black induction tube, very easy. When I cleaned the IACV, i unbolted the throttle body from the intake and detached the IACV from the underbelly of the throttle body. There should be some screws that connect the IACV to the TB. I cleaned it on the spot, i didnt have unhook anything. And the only thing that needed to be purchased was the carb cleaner, make sure you get a kind that is safe for 02 sensors!!! Theres pictures and directions on how to properly clean an IACV here: (http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34636&hl=throttle+body+cleaning). Hope this helps.

Mkay, so first of all, to clean the throttle body requires only removing the black induction tube, very easy. When I cleaned the IACV, i unbolted the throttle body from the intake and detached the IACV from the underbelly of the throttle body. There should be some screws that connect the IACV to the TB. I cleaned it on the spot, i didnt have unhook anything. And the only thing that needed to be purchased was the carb cleaner, make sure you get a kind that is safe for 02 sensors!!! Theres pictures and directions on how to properly clean an IACV here: (http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34636&hl=throttle+body+cleaning). Hope this helps.

Thanks. The link you attached is very good and clear.

So....

Just pull the rubber tube off the other end (there's a little spring clamp you might have to squeeze open with pliers). Take it to an auto parts store & buy a new piece with the same I.D. - it's only about 6 inches long. You might also make sure you have the right PCV valve, it should be the same size as the old one. Connect your new hose (use the old clamp), plug the other end into your new PCV and you're good to go.

BTW, I always get a Toyota OEM PCV for my Lexus (a few more dollars but WAY better quality) and a new grommet. Put in the new PCV, grommet and vacuum hose all at the same time and then you can forget it for a few years, until it's time for a change again. Lots of mysterious symptoms can be cured or avoided just by changing these 3 simple parts.

tck...

How much does the PCV valve, grommet, and vacume hose usually run ya? And do you have a place you usually go for it? Its about time I do a tune up and I like to tackle any improvement idea I can come across. Thanks