Sticky Sustance On Radiator Overflow Tank

Ollie

Hey guys,

I've got this sticky substance which is coming from the sensor on the radiator overflow tank, the substance seems to heat up and flow when the engine is hot and then dry out to a white powdery stain.

See the photo attached. It's pretty weird.

My best guess is it could be the glue used to stick down the sensor cover.

Any ideas?

post-34998-1173501790_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I've got this sticky substance which is coming from the sensor on the radiator overflow tank, the substance seems to heat up and flow when the engine is hot and then dry out to a white powdery stain.

See the photo attached. It's pretty weird.

My best guess is it could be the glue used to stick down the sensor cover.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem plus the PO cut the wires probably because the sensor went bad and kept giving a false warning. The white residue looks like dried coolant, but Lexus OEM coolant is reddish and leaves a pink crusty residue. A new sensor will probably seal better.

glenmore 1990 LS400

I have the same problem plus the PO cut the wires probably because the sensor went bad and kept giving a false warning. The white residue looks like dried coolant, but Lexus OEM coolant is reddish and leaves a pink crusty residue. A new sensor will probably seal better.

glenmore 1990 LS400

Hey is the Lexus OEM coolant is red, does that mean I shouldn't be adding standard green coolant to the OEM coolant? I just topped up green coolant a couple of weeks ago.

glenmore 1990 LS400

Hey is the Lexus OEM coolant is red, does that mean I shouldn't be adding standard green coolant to the OEM coolant? I just topped up green coolant a couple of weeks ago.

Green coolant and Toyota's OEM red coolant are not compatible with each other. You'll end up with a radiator core that is plugged up with a messy gel-like gunk! wild.gif

*BLEEP*! Do you think it will be ok? I just used a little maybe 100-200 mL

drain and fill... repeat, was the green the same chemical base? THe toyota is low silicate to protect the waterpump but conflicting chemistries would be a problem.