Rx 330 Brakes

rfcbuf

The front pads and rotors on my 2004 AWD RX 330 are worn to the point where the pads need to be replaced and the rotors are worn so they cannot be turned and should be replaced. Mileage is only 25,000. This is the first car I've owned where the major brake parts have worn out before the original tires.

The car is not driven hard and I wonder if other owners have had this poor brake wear experience. Please comment on advisability of pressing Lexus for a warantee consideration.

My wife has had her current 2004 RX330 AWD for only about six weeks, but I can tell you that her previous 2000 RX300 AWD went over 80,000 miles before I put new brake pads on it. The rotors were fine and I decided that it would be foolish to turn them. I sold the vehicle at 128,300 miles - the current brake pads still had plenty of life left in them and the original rotors still looked good. No brake noise whatsoever.

Are you constantly driving in stop-and-go city traffic and are you perhaps harder on the brakes than you originally thought?

My wife has had her current 2004 RX330 AWD for only about six weeks, but I can tell you that her previous 2000 RX300 AWD went over 80,000 miles before I put new brake pads on it. The rotors were fine and I decided that it would be foolish to turn them. I sold the vehicle at 128,300 miles - the current brake pads still had plenty of life left in them and the original rotors still looked good. No brake noise whatsoever.

Are you constantly driving in stop-and-go city traffic and are you perhaps harder on the brakes than you originally thought?

Reply to :RX inNC from RFCBUF,no major stop& go traffic just routine driving and I often down shift with tranny before applying brakes so brakes should actually get less wear. I'm not happy with RX330 brakes!

same thing on all RX330/350s. Im at 60K miles and ive been through at least 3 or 4. I go through lots of stop and go traffic and many hills in san francisco.

Id have to say it has to do with the weight of the car. So heavy...while the brakes are so small.

When you replace the brakes, make sure to have the updated pads/rotors/shims (per TSB #BR00404) put on. I have had to replace the rotors at 30K and again at 62K (along with pads).

The first time, the dealer didn't install new pads (unlike the TSB instructed) -- I complained and Lexus said tough luck.

At 62K, I went to an independent and they followed the TSB to the letter; no problems since.

My wife's 2004 RX330 needed new rotors and pads at 21000miles. Dealer said it should last twice as long but maybe the previous owner really got on the brakes hard. and wore it down. Driving style does matter.

Kamz

Routinely getting only 20,000 to 30,000 miles out of original brake pads and rotors is inexcusable in this day and age. I agree that the excessive weight of the vehicle combined with a set of brakes that appears to be underengineered for the job is probably the main culprit here. Newtoncd's point of being sure to utilize the updated components per the TSB is a good one. Like him, I prefer utilizing an independent shop for brakes - my experience has always been that they do a far better job.

When you replace the brakes, make sure to have the updated pads/rotors/shims (per TSB #BR00404) put on. I have had to replace the rotors at 30K and again at 62K (along with pads).

The first time, the dealer didn't install new pads (unlike the TSB instructed) -- I complained and Lexus said tough luck.

At 62K, I went to an independent and they followed the TSB to the letter; no problems since.

How sad the dealer gave you that response. I am not surprised, but dissappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my pads replaced on my '05 today at a Toyota dealer. Mileage was 35k. Driving was approximately 50% highway.

I didn't know about the TSB. Now I'm wondering if Toyota followed the TSB. Earlier in the day, they said they were checking if the pads for the Highlander were the same and as those for the RX330. I didn't think to ask what they found, and what they installed. I simply trusted they would do the right thing.

Too bad my costly and poor customer relations experiences with my local Lexus Dealer preclude me from using them for anything but warranty work!

• 1 month later...

2005 RX330 with 25K and we're knocking on the door for new rotors (a little shimmy when repeatedly braking hard) and pads.

I actually don't think that's awful (I've had much worse before, and only my Honda was better - made it 36K once).

But I'm still looking to replace them myself with Brembo OEM style replacements, and the pads will probably be something similar (premium aftermarket, but still ceramic). Nothing outrageous. I've always had good luck replacing factory brake parts with something like that. Funny thing is, Brembo makes a front and rear OEM rotor for the RX330, but the fronts are hard to find anywhere.

But OEM stuff I replace with quality brand replacements and I'm generally pretty happy - maybe those will last a wee bit longer. Exceptions are maybe the few factory performance pads (if you have Corvette Z51 compound pads - they may be dusty as hell, but they're a REALLY good pad).

Well, I thought the TSB had fixed things, but the rotors are warped again; after having the rotors and pads replaced at 62K, I just had them turned. I have had issues at 26K (new rotors), 62K (new rotors) and 74K (turned). I know Discount Tire hand torque's the lug nuts, so it that and my wife's driving patterns aren't unusual (i.e. no hard stops, etc).

I normally prefer OEM parts but I am pretty frustrated and will be looking for a better replacement pad/rotor.

Woooow:

My 2001 RX300 is great on breaks. I change them every 50K. I now have 100K so it the second set from new. I plan to change again at 150k. I am very impressed with the brakes, Lexus designed the pads in rear to be smaller then front so both set worn the same. I hve never seen this on any car/truck I owned in the last 40 years. I change my own brakes, very easy. Make sure you only use Bendix Cerimic

• 7 years later...

My wife owns a Taxi Cab Service, among the different drivers she employs, one might get 4000 miles of front brake wear out, while the best ( most gently on brakes ) driver will go 10-12 thousand miles, different quality levels of brake pads wear out at a known rate, (pedal pressure x time brake is applied x temperature rise of pads while braking) You either had cheap pads on the car or your wife drives with a foot on the brake pedal or she's braking a lot harder when she's alone compared to when you ride with her.