No Maintenance Records!

Chris_Cincy

2002 ES 300. The seller has "supposedly" done all of the maintenance work himself. The car is at 52K miles. Would anyone here recommend getting the $99 used car inspection performed on this at the Lexus dealership? Do you think that they would be biased? :unsure:

The prospect of saving a couple of thousand buying from an individual is so tempting! I would however prefer the maintenance history. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

BTW, the carfax is clean.

Denfending how much he loking for ... how gooddoes the car drive and what condition is it in ... who cares who done the servise keep in mind as long the car drive good thats all you need to know all i care is what conditon and how good does it run and the price !i hope thats help... and other hand if ur not sure take it to the dealer and let em chek it out for u .. if ur serious abt car ...have fun ok ..!

I'd be really careful. I'd have Lexus do a full inspection including pulling the valve covers. If I'm not mistaken some of the 02 models are also a part of the oil gel settlement.

Another thing is that Lexus amended the maintenance schedule to include 15k transmission drains on the ES.

I'd ask the guy how often he did oil changes and transmission drains. He has no reciepts, not even for his parts?

I'd be really careful. I'd have Lexus do a full inspection including pulling the valve covers. If I'm not mistaken some of the 02 models are also a part of the oil gel settlement.

Another thing is that Lexus amended the maintenance schedule to include 15k transmission drains on the ES.

I'd ask the guy how often he did oil changes and transmission drains. He has no reciepts, not even for his parts?

He has no receipts for any of the work. He told me that he has done the oil changes every 5k, changed the a/c filter and replaced the brake pads. The tires are original, he said that they were Michelins and would get about 75K on them.

He mentioned that he used torque wrench to tighten lug nuts back on (after changing the brakes) and has always done the maintenance on his Lexus cars. He said that the dealers made too much $$$ on the maintenance.

The lack of maint records is the main drawback I have against the car. The car has 52K miles on it, a clean carfax, and he is willing to come down to $17,500 at this point. He has it listed at 18,500. He said that the dealers only offer him so much for trading in. Since he is buying a new ES, he felt that he could do better by selling it himself.

Is he the original owner?

What kind of oil did he use? Synthetic or regular? Synthetic has a lower sludge potential.

Really and truly, there isn't that much to be done on the car anyway, at that mileage and age, except for fluids and normal wear and tear. Even if he didn't do the tranny fluids and such, you could do them now, and probably be fine, especially if you think he was not a hot-rod driver, like SWO is "congrats on winning the beltway 500 last weekend." Hahahaa...

But, it is a crap-shoot with a car that has no receipts. He can't provide a bank statement or credit card statement that would show you that he at least bought the stuff? I mean ask him to black out the card numbers and stuff like that, just some sort of proof would be nice.

But, again, these are the most realiable cars on earth. And he sounds like a Lexus fan, so he's probably quite knowledgable of the "insider tweaks" and schedules. I would focus on the transmission fluid, make sure he used Toyota OEM Type IV fluid. But if you want my opinion, if you have a good feeling it really was taken care of, not abused by some real estate big shot in the District type, then I wouldn't be too frighened. In all honesty, sometimes the shade-tree mechanic serviced cars are in MUCH better shape than the dealership maintained cars. Simply because the shade-tree guys enjoy working on the car, and use the good stuff because they're saving a ton of money on labor. I'm a shade tree guy myself, and have no problems buying the most expensive oils, filters, parts, because I'm not paying for labor charges, at $106 an hour, and am able to service the car as the car calls for, instead of waiting to find the right time with the dealership's schedule, dropping it off, and making sure my financial condition is prepared for the bill. It's much easier to spend Saturday morning changing my oil, with my cup of coffee, then it is to drive over to the dealership, and spend hours waiting around for the car.

But, Steve's right, you could end up like he did. I'm curious though, Steve, what kind of car was it that burned you like that?

guys tell me something wts up with you guys and .. toyota iv type fulid whats wrong tryinng lube recomendedone lol? i didnt try it but i gotta try it one of my freind told me that his one run cools with lube recomonded fluid ... so what you guys say would it be worth of trying lol .just for curiousity ...

................................................oh by the way Chris_Cincy just like i said b4 buy the car only if you feel comfortable with the car .. cuz leater on dont kill ur self regret with the hasitation or problem u asumeing or feeling with the test drive buy it as long as it drive smooth .. cus by looking at the yar and mil there shouldnt be any problem ...unless the owner was a car raper!....just like these ppl say ..

LOL! You crack me up NC.

Never been burned by a car (the benefits of always buying new lol).

:cheers:

We have to meet up soon. I just finished up my Boston deal, and now focusing on my two DC deals, I'll be up there a bit this spring, no doubt about it.