Wobbly Fan - Require Front Side Tear-down?

mejojo

92 LS400.

Fan bearing's gone out...wobbles at low RPM with bad noise...not too bad at higher rpm.

Can just the fan bearing/clutch be replaced, or do you have to tear down the whole front?

If the latter, it could use a timing belt job as well, but if just the fan can be replaced for a few hours work, I'd go that way.

TIA,

Joe

Not bad - check out steps 10 & 11 Here .

Thanks. I only got a look at the problem in the dark, and had looked at that tutorial last night, but I was afraid it wasn't quite as simple as it looks.

I ordered a clutch 2-day FedEx shipping and should be able to do it this weekend. Looks like it could be a 30-45 minute job if I don't run into any obstacles like "tight spaces". This sound right?

Joe

I don't think you'll have a problem. It should go pretty quick. The tricky part will be loosening the last bolt because it will have been tightening while you use it for leverage to loosen the other three. After you get the three broke loose leave them in and let one tighten back up while you use it to break the fourth one loose just in case it is froze up. Hopefully the wobbly bearing is in the fan clutch and not the water pump (you're probably thinking I could have kept that last part to myself, huh...) :whistles:

I don't think you'll have a problem. It should go pretty quick. The tricky part will be loosening the last bolt because it will have been tightening while you use it for leverage to loosen the other three. After you get the three broke loose leave them in and let one tighten back up while you use it to break the fourth one loose just in case it is froze up. Hopefully the wobbly bearing is in the fan clutch and not the water pump (you're probably thinking I could have kept that last part to myself, huh...) :whistles:

Well, might as well try the cheap and easy possibility first.

There is no water leakage and not overheating, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've got 200k on the original water pump and probably 100k+ on the timing belt, so I won't be surprised if I have a "bigger" job to do some time in the future.

Thanks much for your advice.

Joe

I think mine is also causing a slight vibration at 2100 rpm but instead of replacing the bearing/clutch i think i will just get a whole new fan that is electrical to reduce the load and free up some power.

Plus it looks more trick that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I think mine is also causing a slight vibration at 2100 rpm but instead of replacing the bearing/clutch i think i will just get a whole new fan that is electrical to reduce the load and free up some power.

Plus it looks more trick that way.

Further investigation leads to a diagnosis of the infamous

FAN BRACKET. Got a factory new unit for $195 + tax + $5 shipping on ebay.

I think I will just replace this and go about my business until something else breaks.

Question about the timing belt therapy pictorial, it seems that the radiator is gone very early, but rad removal only shows up at step #14, long after it appears that it must have already been gone awhile. Do I have this right?

Joe

Further investigation leads to a diagnosis of the infamous

FAN BRACKET. Got a factory new unit for $195 + tax + $5 shipping on ebay.

I think I will just replace this and go about my business until something else breaks.

Question about the timing belt therapy pictorial, it seems that the radiator is gone very early, but rad removal only shows up at step #14, long after it appears that it must have already been gone awhile. Do I have this right?

Joe

I think you're right. Looks like steps 10-12 would be easier after radiator removal.