Is 250 Awd V. Acura Tl And Infiniti G35

Was wondering what everybody thought on the IS 250 AWD vs. the Acura TL and Infiniti G35 sedan. What are the positives of the 250 over the others and what are some of the negatives?

Also, does anybody have any links or at least car magazine names and month when the Is 250 was reviewed and/or was compared to these other vehicles?

Any opinions or thoughts on why I should buy the 250 over other cars is needed because I am unsure on which car to get. Thanks in advance.

I am working as a valet right now and drive all these cars on a daily basis and this is, in part, what leads me to my desire for an IS250. At this point, in terms of exterior design, the IS blows the TL away. The TL had an update recently but the design is still quite similar to the initial one from the early 2000's. The G35 looks great, but all those smooth body panels sure do show off dings in the doors mighty nicely.

As far as the interior goes....every new model lexus i have driven, no matter what series, is leaps and bounds above anything lexus has put out in previous generations(and i drive older models of each brand on a daily basis as well). The TL guage cluster is pretty, but looks gimmiky pretty quickly and in the dark, the G35 guage cluster looks cheap at night, the lexus oozes quality....

I'm a design junkie and have a degree from the savannah college of art and design, one of the best art schools in the coutry. Now that we know i'm qualified to pass ULTIMATE JUDGEMENT on the cars, really, the lexus seems to be better designed and better built than the other two. Keep in mind people have gotten them at $500-$1000 below invoice as well.

When I bought my IS250awd the dealership also had a G35x on the lot. I checked it out just to see what it was about and thought that the Nav was not nearly as nice as the one in "my" Lex. Although all three would be fun to drive unless you get the 3 series BMW not much will stand out from the IS in that price range.

In terms of looks the IS250awd is better than both. The G35 (awd) only comes in the 4 door version and in my opinion the coupe would be the only way to go in terms of looks for the G35 (I don't care much for the 4 door version).

The TL was honestly going to be my next purchase 2 years ago... then this came out. I love the look of the Acura but like the previous person had said, it's time for an update. You can get a 07 TL and feel like everyone else is driving one... you can get an 06 or 07 IS250 and you won't see another one on the road for a week.

I just hope you are asking other forums from the other auto makers as well, just seeing as though you'll get a biased opinion from this one .... though we all know that it is the correct one :cheers:

Thanks for everyone's input. Any other info anyone else may have would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Before I bought my IS250awd in late August, I had test driven all three vehicles you are interested in. My conclusions were as follows:the Acura TL rode stiffly but handled well and low end punch was lacking for a car with that much hp. The interior design and execution was just OK, although spacious. The 2006 Infiniti G35x was by far the sportiest of the three as the engine was responsive and powerful and it handled better than the other two. It was easily the the most fun to drive even for a four year old design. One reason I did not buy the car was its EPA city mileage rating was only 17mpg. I had sold my previous car and couldn't wait for the new and reportedly much improved 2007 model. With over 300hp and awd, the new G35x is quite a combination, but about $2k more when comparing base models. The IS250awd is much more luxurious and has a much smoother ride and the interior is well beyond both competitors in terms of comfort, design, materials and finish.

The 22mpg city EPA rating was a factor for me albeit that is the trade off for a smaller, less powerful engine. The car has adequate hp for all practical purposes, but it is underpowered by 20-30hp. Lexus needs to address this issue. The car handles and stops well enough although the brake dust is the worst I've ever experienced. The brakes are also noisy when coming to or leaving from a full stop.(a major complaint)

If you want horsepower and luxury, try the IS350. If you want awd and horsepower, the new G35x warrants serious consideration.

One thing to be clear on is that the IS should be compared to the 07 G, and not the hideous 06.

The 06 was boring to look at, the 07 is actually stunning in person.

I'm not a fan of the japanese rice paper aluminum they used for interior trim, but the optional rosewood trim ($400) is very nice.

I wanted the IS 250 due to it's AWD, but the lack of power is keeping me away.

The 2007 Infiniti G35x is most likely my next car, to be purchased within the next 2 months.

AWD when you need it - RWD when you don't

Push Button Start

0-60 in the low 5's

10GB hard drive for MP3's

The "Infiniti On Wheels" stereo sounds AMAZING!

and the looks of the 07 are something that have to be seen in person. :wub:

I also like the look of the TL and have driven them numerous times as loaners, but they're everywhere and who wants a 285 Type-S with FWD???

It started to get boring to me as I drove it for the days I had it.

The G stands up to time very well, although maybe not as well as a Lexus... but very well all the same.

As for the interiors and their life expectancy, it truely depends on who's taking care of it.

Also note that Infiniti has completely redesigned the interior for 07, including the materials being used.

I expect mine to endure quite well.

;)

Like most folks here, I have driven all three to include the 07 G 4door, the 06 coupe and the 3 series BMW. For some reason that I cannot pinpoint, I just can't seem to warm up to Infiniti products. The exhaust does sound sweet though. The BMW drive was short because I didn't like it from the moment we left the lot. The interior was not friendly and it plowed too much through corners. A big surprise. Plus BMW options the hell out of their cars I also didn't like the fact that I would have had to get the performance package to get the Nav in the Infiniti G coupe. It was either 33k w/o Nav or close to 40 w/Nav. I was torn between the TL and IS. I went with the IS because it was a new platform and I wanted either AWD or FWD because of the slushy weather we get in the D.C. area in the winter. Rear seat room is not important to me because I don't sit in the back seat of my own car. One thing I did not take into consideration was the limitation of the Nav/Bluetooth while in motion in the IS. The Acura salesperson worked the Nav the whole time I was driving to show off the system. The Lexus salesrep stayed away from giving me a demo on the Nav. I see why. I know what questions to ask next time. Hell, the Nav in my MINI Cooper "S" is more friendly and accurate than that in the IS. The IS is truly a very good car, not a great car. If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited for the new TL Type "S".

Good luck on your choice.

v/r Greg

I am working as a valet right now and drive all these cars on a daily basis and this is, in part, what leads me to my desire for an IS250. At this point, in terms of exterior design, the IS blows the TL away. The TL had an update recently but the design is still quite similar to the initial one from the early 2000's. The G35 looks great, but all those smooth body panels sure do show off dings in the doors mighty nicely.

As far as the interior goes....every new model lexus i have driven, no matter what series, is leaps and bounds above anything lexus has put out in previous generations(and i drive older models of each brand on a daily basis as well). The TL guage cluster is pretty, but looks gimmiky pretty quickly and in the dark, the G35 guage cluster looks cheap at night, the lexus oozes quality....

I'm a design junkie and have a degree from the savannah college of art and design, one of the best art schools in the coutry. Now that we know i'm qualified to pass ULTIMATE JUDGEMENT on the cars, really, the lexus seems to be better designed and better built than the other two. Keep in mind people have gotten them at $500-$1000 below invoice as well.

i completely agree with one swell... and i have tested all of these cars including is350 and ended up buying is350...

go buy the feb 2007 issue of road and track on the comparison..

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...article_id=4459

i read the article in print, and they compare everything and is350 comes out on top... i know you are looking at is250 so just less power... or not. maybe you will lean towards is350... and i strongly suggest is350.. only a 3-4k more if you get a good deal.. i bought my 07 is350 with nav and sport pkg for $39.5k.. and is350 is so much better than is250 awd at $33k..

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, recently I've driven some of the redone '07 G35's and in terms of the interior, especially at night, it's a different car. Leaps and bounds better. It actually seems to have an interior befitting a car of it's price range, before it did not. I'd still have to say go with the lexus though. Part of it is personal preference in style, but each time I drive a new IS I can't help but sit in the car a bit longer and admire the lines of the interior, the look and feel of the surfaces of the doors and dash. It's all so much more exceptionally well executed in the IS than in any of the others.

Headrests on the TL are very wide, to the point of very much interfering with the view when trying to look back over the left shoulder(necessary sometimes when I'm parking close and can't see something in the mirror).

OK, recently I've driven some of the redone '07 G35's and in terms of the interior, especially at night, it's a different car. Leaps and bounds better. It actually seems to have an interior befitting a car of it's price range, before it did not. I'd still have to say go with the lexus though. Part of it is personal preference in style, but each time I drive a new IS I can't help but sit in the car a bit longer and admire the lines of the interior, the look and feel of the surfaces of the doors and dash. It's all so much more exceptionally well executed in the IS than in any of the others.

Headrests on the TL are very wide, to the point of very much interfering with the view when trying to look back over the left shoulder(necessary sometimes when I'm parking close and can't see something in the mirror).

Is there such a thing as a G35x S model? I've the S and it looks much better than the '06. Wondering if the S model is just RWD or whether they build that into the "x" type also?

I test drove the TSX, TL, and the new SUV that Acura has out. By far, the TL was my favorite. However, my husband will not buy it bcz he appreciates the Lexus far more. I guess he's right. The service can't be beat in my area, as well.........

• 2 weeks later...

Is there such a thing as a G35x S model? I've the S and it looks much better than the '06. Wondering if the S model is just RWD or whether they build that into the "x" type also?

They do not offer the "S" option on the G35x.... but that does not mean, by any means, that the x model is not sport orientated.

I test drove a G35x this past Friday and it's awesome.

I slammed, and I mean, stood on the brake, at 60mph.

The anti-lock kicked in but I had full control and the car came to a VERY quick stop with absolutely no front-end dive. Very strange (in a nice way) feeling.

Once I was through with the drive, the salesguy took the wheel and drove me to their sat lot so I could see all color/option packs they had in stock.

The narrow, very windy road allowed him to show me how the car handled.

He ripped up this VERY windy road at about 70mph and there was no front-end plowing, and no sense of over/under steering.

I don't really care how it compares to the others in the field.... I just know I like it.

I want a sports sedan that offers a sports orientated ride, but want AWD as well.

The IS250 lacks in the power dept, so I looked to Infiniti.

I have now driven all three of the above mentioned cars.

The TL (even the Type-S) is very nice but I got bored with it quickly.

(I've had one for a loaner each time I dropped the MDX off)

I wish Lexus could offer what I want, but doesn't.

G appears to be the best for my situation, but it's such a nice car, that I don't feel like I'm settling.

The 07 is beautiful. :wub:

Also, keep in mind... the G35x is only AWD when it's needed, not all the time.

It's actually RWD until it senses the need for 4-wheel traction.

The salesguy brought me to a lot which was full of solid ice.

Flooring the pedal, the rear wheels spun slightly and then the car just seemded to bite into the ice and started to go.

Once off the lot and back on the road, the car came to life and sunk us into our seats.

Hard to explain, but amazing to experience first hand.