Electric Only Mode

I just HAD to chuckle when I read this statement:

The intention is to allow the driver to move the car out of the garage, or even out of the neighborhood, without the engine starting to awaken others.

C'mon now, how many Priuses are so loud that they would awaken the neighbors? We're not talking about a souped-up muscle car here!

I would suspect that this device would certainly void the warranty.

Possibly but it is factory in Japan. I suspect they figured american drivers wouldn't like it. I for one would like better mileage.

I just HAD to chuckle when I read this statement:

The intention is to allow the driver to move the car out of the garage, or even out of the neighborhood, without the engine starting to awaken others.

C'mon now, how many Priuses are so loud that they would awaken the neighbors? We're not talking about a souped-up muscle car here!

• 2 weeks later...

No, it's not a warranty issue. The designers have publicly admitted that the reason "no-electric" mode wasn't incorporated into U.S. version(s) was because the EPA insisted on it. Something to do with warming up the catalytic converter as soon as possible. But IMHO, even THAT is a lame rational. Obviously though, if the system is standard in Europe / Asia it's not going to endanger our vehicles over here, either.

As for EV startups, the thing I love about it, is that our garage doesn't have to fill up with toxic/smelly unburned~raw gas stench. I'm a good 80-100 feet away from the house before it lights up. :^)

it is true. THey have this feature in japan up to 40 mph because they dont ahve to make a warranty on the batteries. The US makes toyota make the 10 year battery warranty which is why we dont have this function. it puts too much strain on the battery

it is true. THey have this feature in japan up to 40 mph because they dont ahve to make a warranty on the batteries. The US makes toyota make the 10 year battery warranty which is why we dont have this function. it puts too much strain on the battery

How do you know this?

How do you know this?

Kenji, one of the Toyota tech's in Japan regularly addresses this question and says, "NO"

One would think they WOULD have this feature ... after all, there is the 'blank' button space on our 400h. He says the only "non-prius" car that comes equiped from the factory w/ EV is the Estima ... a minivan. Check it out.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/06/hybrid_minivan.php

As for aftermarket tinkerers, YES. Supposedly a company back in Bolder Colorado is up and running, and actually doing conversions of ANY Toyota / Ford hybrid !!!

http://hybrids-plus.com/

I'd look into it, if I had a spare 5 figures laying around.