About To Buy A 93 Sc400. Opinions On Good Deal Or Not

Moltenburn

So here is the deal and I wish I had pics. But I am about to become the newb on the website possibly by Monday. Wanted some feedback on if I am getting a great deal or not. And things I should keep an eye out for. :ph34r:

So here is the low down. It is a 93 Sc400 in gunmetal, 98,000 miles. Trac(working) cd changer, chrome wheels. The car is super clean I(body all original, only a couple of scratches). Toyota techs did the timing belt, transmission flush, coolant clean, oil, and a few small things. So the car checks out along w/ a clean carfax. :)

What the car does need. The water temp needle is burned out, so gauges need to be lexteched. Stereo is caput, seems like only one speaker working other are smoked, I believe the amp has ate s-h-i-t. Needs an alignment IMO but not horrible. Brakes seem fine and the tranny shifts smooth.

So here is the kicker, I get all this for $6000. I have checked book and the low end sells for around $7500 and high mid like this $8500. :cheers:

NoW I am a little spot if I should by a second vehicle. Daily driver is Volvo XC. But I do want a cool project car and this seems to fit the bill, w/o *BLEEP*ing away a s-h-i-t ton of loot. So I am a bit torn.

Will this make a nice summer ride that can be pimped for a moderate amount of cash, at the same time remaining reliable. OR am I in for a butt load of headaches. Any insight is appreciated, and cheers.

Before you go further have an authorized lexus dealer service department evaluate the car and pull its service history. They charge about $90-100 for the lexus certification review and will check the engine, transmission,shocks, brakes, exhaust and electrical system. Cars of this age often have power steering pump failures and leaks at 75,000-100,000 miles and this needs to be carefully checked. In addition the '93 has the old R12 AC coolant and should be evaluated for leaks as updating to R34a or finding R12 freon will be expensive. The final price should be negotiated only after a full inspection. Keep in mind that a bit of money spent beforehand for a careful professional lexus inspection can save you a small fortune later.

definitely have the car inspected by a Lexus or Toyota Master Tech. Since you live in the Denver area, i'd also take a good look underneath the vehicle for rust and other corrosive damage. This will determine how long before you're going to have to abandon or fix the rusting issue.

Inspect the car for prior collisions, paint fade, overspray, discolouration or fade in headlights/taillights markers and so on.

Also, most importantly, inspect the car for water damage, carpets-odor/colour and so on.

It's important not to get the cars damaged during hurricane disasters. they're still floating around and will for quite sometime.

good luck

:cheers: another Co SC. I purchased this 92 auto 3mos ago. I really wanted one and just test drove it. I did a carfax and could tell the car has been taken care of. I did replace head gaskets $300 and still have main seal to do $500. They are heavy cars and don't do well in snow. i love the ride and power. As for project car they can be expensive but very original. This forum is full of info as is http://www.clublexus.com I very seldom see SC's but when you do they just stand out. As you can tell i love my car. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

I LIVE IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA. I JUST BROUGHT A 1993 SC 400 FOR $2,300 FROM A GENTLEMAN IN LOS ANGELES. IT WAS A THEFT RECOVERY. SOMEONE STOLE THE RADIO AND TIRES. THE CAR HAS A LITTLE DAMAGE ON THE TRUNK (VERY LITTLE) BLACK WITH CREAM INTERIOR. VERY CLEAN ON THE INSIDE. FLEW DOWN SATURDAY DROVE BACK SUNDAY. THE CAR IS MORE THAN I EXSPECTED. DON'T TELL MY GIRL, I HAVE A NEW LOVER! I FELL IN LOVE ON HIGHWAY 5.