1st Gear Gone?

TTimlin

Odd problem I have run into. The car will refuse to use first gear unless you put the gear selector in LOW. Otherwise it will attempt to start in 2nd gear.. and shift through 3rd and 4th normally. Anyone heard of this? It has me puzzled. (Changed fluid & filter hoping it would help.. but it didnt)

Odd problem I have run into. The car will refuse to use first gear unless you put the gear selector in LOW. Otherwise it will attempt to start in 2nd gear.. and shift through 3rd and 4th normally. Anyone heard of this? It has me puzzled. (Changed fluid & filter hoping it would help.. but it didnt)

It is the shift solenoid.:cheers:

I put the motor in myself but messing with tranny internals eerks me. Is it something I can do or should I leave it up to a mechanic. Also, am I doing damage to the transmission driving it the way it is? Thanks, you've helped me quite a bit lately.

If you can drop the valve body yourself, pull the solenoid off & put it back together.

About $125-150 with a PAIR of solenoids from NAPA. (Which are much higher quality than the OEM parts btw.) Otherwise about $300 bucks.

oh really?! napa

i got mine coming from lexus they only sell all four, it was 225 i think

Your transmission has 5 solenoids. Ours has 3.

And yes, the Napa ones are surprizingly MUCH higher quality. The wiring is much thicker, the harness is heat shrinked better, the solenoids actually incorperate a large hold-down bar. They're prettier...

I kid. But yeah.