Lack Of Power?

mg27

:blushing: Ok! New owner of 1999 ES300 Fantastic car. But it almost killed me the other day when i tried to pass someone on a two lane road. I hit the gas pedal and it took "1-2+sec" to respond start reponding.

it scared the heck out of the wife when we had to dive for the left lane. I tried it again and same it takes timme to get to a passsing speed. Now is it a character of the car that i did not see or something is beging to fail?

i would appreciate you input. i have the 5 yr lexus warranty but i really do not know if that would be cover under it?.

Thank you,

MG

that sounds like it needs a tune up or the transmission is not responding when it should.i would get it checked.also maybe needs a fuel cleaning.i do all of that anytime i buy a new car anyway so maybe you should look into it and see if any of that was done to the car yet.

Sound like i should check the transmition and fluid for clean..

I do know what you are telling me about the fuel?? :huh:

I suspect the the transmition since it takes to long to down shift. my other lexus seems to respond a little quickens than this one and it is a SUV.

TY

MG27

Hmmmm.....it sounds like its acting like an '02-'03 ES! That's what all the fuss is about with the 5 speed transmissions. I was wondering whether the '99 uses a mechanical linkage or an electronic linkage(Fly by Wire) from the accelerator pedal???

if there is a tranny problem try to narrow it down

by selsting a lower gear if the car does not go any faster

this will force a gear change if one is not happening

it may well be the intake pipe which gets a good gap in it when under WOT

try and check it for tears

which usually come from excessive movement of the enigne mounts

causing it to rip

i really don't think the 99 has an elctornic gas pedal

like the 03