Need Cheaper Hood Support Struts

tansupplyman

I am looking for struts for my 1997 LS 400 and saw them advertised on Ebay from parts avenue for 34.99 plus freight. Is this the company where you bought yours?

Thanks..

I also did the cureline.com Mighty Lift swap on my 1994 LS400 and I agree with VBDenny that it saves a lot of money over the OEM struts. It is a simple procedure especially after doing the first strut, the second one is much easier.

On my wife's 1997 LS400 however I decided to buy a set of replacement struts for sale on Ebay. I believe they were about $40 +shipping. I know, it sounded a little too good to be true to me as well. I took the risk though and couldn't be happier. They were a direct replacement with no drilling or messing. The struts actually seem stronger than the Mighty Lifts that I bought for my 94 LS.

One gripe I have with my Mighty Lift replacements is that they don't raise the hood as high as the OEM struts. I figured this out when I compared the hood height with my 97 LS before it's struts died. The Ebay struts maintained the OEM hood height when raised, which saves my lower back and the back of my head when I'm working on the motor.

Which ever method you use, you'll come out on top in your pocketbook by bypassing the Lexus OEM hood struts.

Got mine at Auto Zone for 28.00 for a pair, drilled out the swivel and voila! works like a charm...Stroker

dude, what was the part number? My Autozone doesnt stock the "correct" ones and the others are 20 a piece. did the ball work in the drilled out swivel?

And the "autopartsbylou" struts are now 29 a piece...they know we need them so the prices are going UP!

Got mine at Auto Zone for 28.00 for a pair, drilled out the swivel and voila! works like a charm...Stroker

dude, what was the part number? My Autozone doesnt stock the "correct" ones and the others are 20 a piece. did the ball work in the drilled out swivel?

And the "autopartsbylou" struts are now 29 a piece...they know we need them so the prices are going UP!

Checked today at Auto Zone and you are right they are 20 bux a piece...I had to match them to what they had in stock by length..They dont list part # for a Lexus..I guess I bought them before the price increase, but they work!!!!! Good luck, Stroker

I need to replace the hood support struts and Lexus wants $70 each for them.

Has anyone here found a replacement other than 'Lexus'.

I have not been sucessful finding anything with that design end on them.

Tired of using my wooden stick.

I have not tried the salvage yards yet to get an OEM; regarding this, do later model ones fit the '93--know it is best to take the old one with me.

TKS.

1979-1993 Mustang w/o spoiler has the same strut as well as most period ford wagons for their hatches,

, 78-81 Fairmont wagon hatch, etc, check here for applications for you yard walkers.

Application Chart for Strong Arm #4408, direct application cross to the Autozone part number piece.

Make Model Location Year

AMC Hornet Sportabout Hatch 1977-78

FORD Fairmont Sta. Wagon Hatch 1978-81

FORD Granada Sta. Wagon Hatch 1982

FORD LTD Sta. Wagon Hatch 1983-86

FORD Mustang w/o Spoiler Hatch 1979-93

MERCURY Capri w/o Spoiler Hatch 1979-86

MERCURY Cougar Sta. Wagon Hatch 1982

MERCURY Marquis Sta. Wagon Hatch 1983-86

MERCURY Zephyr Sta. Wagon Hatch 1978-81

PLYMOUTH Volare Sta. Wagon (Hatch w/Ball Type End Fittings) Hatch 1976-77

After pouring over these posts and not being able to find any in the posted price ranges, I pulled the trigger on an Ebay auction for these and will post when I get them. for less than $31 bucks shipped I cant lose. If they dont fit, ill bolt them on my Breeze. Looks like they have the 10mm ball socket w/clips already on them. here is the auction number: 190045757754. check them out with some good closeup pictures of the socket ends.

post-47886-1191013792_thumb.jpg

I have not tried the salvage yards yet to get an OEM; regarding this, do later model ones fit the '93--know it is best to take the old one with me.

TKS.

1979-1993 Mustang w/o spoiler has the same strut as well as most period ford wagons for their hatches,

, 78-81 Fairmont wagon hatch, etc, check here for applications for you yard walkers.

Application Chart for Strong Arm #4408, direct application cross to the Autozone part number piece.

Make Model Location Year

After pouring over these posts and not being able to find any in the posted price ranges, I pulled the trigger on an Ebay auction for these and will post when I get them. for less than $31 bucks shipped I cant lose. If they dont fit, ill bolt them on my Breeze. Looks like they have the 10mm ball socket w/clips already on them. here is the auction number: 190045757754. check them out with some good closeup pictures of the socket ends.

Which LS400's do these fit? 1st Gen, 2nd Gen?

TKS.

Make Model Location Year

Which LS400's do these fit? 1st Gen, 2nd Gen?

the cross reference for the autozone part is *BLEEP*ized for a 1st gen 89-94 LS400. There is a site that shows extended length, retracted length and "spring" pressure in lbs and also the end type. We are looking for a 10mm ball socket end that uses the 10mm ball studs we have.

I replaced my 1997 LS hood struts last Saturday for 34.99 + 8.00 freight with a universal replacement part on eBay from Parts Avenue. I did have to drill out the original ball and reuse the connecting bolt. I recommend to have a good drill, vise, and sharp bit. Looking tonight I did not see the struts for the LS in the parts avenue store.

The instructions I used are here:

http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/howto_h...hood_shocks.htm

AlsoI saw these on eBay tonight "item number 230176504776" that appear to have everything you need without having to drill. $35.00+ 7.65 Freight

Whichever route you go you should be able to get it done and save a considerable amount of $$$ over what the dealer would charge.

I replaced my 1997 LS hood struts last Saturday for 34.99 + 8.00 freight with a universal replacement part on eBay from Parts Avenue. I did have to drill out the original ball and reuse the connecting bolt. I recommend to have a good drill, vise, and sharp bit. Looking tonight I did not see the struts for the LS in the parts avenue store.

The instructions I used are here:

http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/howto_h...hood_shocks.htm

AlsoI saw these on eBay tonight "item number 230176504776" that appear to have everything you need without having to drill. $35.00+ 7.65 Freight

Whichever route you go you should be able to get it done and save a considerable amount of $$$ over what the dealer would charge.

We were talking 1st gen 89-94 in the original post, but that is a good find, although mine were cheaper :-)

TKS.

i got mine from abc marts on ebay $35 for the pair plus $9.95 shipping

TKS.

Make Model Location Year

OK, got 'em in the mail today and installed them without a hitch..sort of. 2 things that need commenting on:

1. They are shorter by about 1.25 inches. This doesn't seem to be a big deal as it only reduces total hood opening by 3 inches (measured from rad support to bottom of grill: 34"with OEM, 31" with retrofits--{or 32.2}..see note)

2. The ball binds in the socket due to hood angle at full open.This can be attributed to the shorter length of the retrofit strut, as a longer strut would reduce the deflection angle of the ball stud in the socket. This can be seen in picture. This limits total hood travel to the point where the ball binds in the socket, limiting full extension of support by 3/4 inch or 1.22 inches of hood lift. This binding action puts tension on the ball, prying it out of the socket. Although the retaining clips are spring steel, if you hyper extend the hood manually (hard at that!) , you may be able to pop these out of the sockets, possibly what the NAPA strut user found with his aborted install. The fix is to clearance the far edge of the socket with a dremel tool or file to allow the ball to achieve a greater angle of deflection. This will permit maximum extension of the support and allow the support rod to take the hood "stop" stress, not the plastic ball socket.

I will do the mod this weekend and report my findings.

post-47886-1191559938_thumb.jpg

post-47886-1191559952_thumb.jpg

post-47886-1191560045_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have the weird one...96 es300. It has a bracket tack weld onto the driver side hood strut. They are over $100 each. After reading all the posts here I decided to go with the cheapest I could find. I noticed the pictures at many of the sites and the ones at ebay looked the same. So what the...you know... If they work great if they don't...well...I'll get them to work. They are $22. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...%3D10%26ps%3D63

But these are the other sites I found (did not post the $100 stuts):

http://www.amazon.com/Lexus-ES300-Support-...k/dp/B000PTOMLO

http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-support...mp;x=14&y=3

http://www.1aauto.com/search?words=hood+struts+lexus+es300

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?...7071+4294967194

http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Hood-Hatch-...YahooShoppingSF

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1996/lexu...hood_strut.html

TKS.

Tks. to a member of this forum (blk_on_blk), I found rear hatch struts that were great quality, low price (for my RX) at:

http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-support...p;x=12&y=14

I remember looking through the 'autopartsbylou' site and they had a huge list of struts they sold. Maybe you can find those you need there? - I've been very pleased with the one I got and installed..

I replaced my hood supports last year with a pair from Advance Auto Parts. The cost was $27 each and they work just like the factory units. If there is not a store locally they have a website at AdvanceAutoP B) arts.com I love my 94 Lexus LS 400 with 98K miles and I always try and use the best gas, oil, and lubricants, but there is no reason to spend $70 each for a factory dealer part on an item like this. Save the $100 and take your wife out to dinner. Oh by the way..they are warranteed for life. Save the receipt for a no charge replacement.