Squeaky Noise - Drive Belt?

yaupoman

I just bought a 1998 ES300. When I stared the car in the morning or when the engine is cold, there is a squeaky squealing noice. I think it's from the drive belts. After the ca run for 7 or 8 minutes (10 miles) or so, the noise goes away. Can anyone help me to identify the problem. I did not hear that noise when I test drive the car --- I guess the engine was warmewd up. :( Thanks much.

Probably just your belt needs to be tightened to the proper tension. VERY easy fix on all the other cars I've had, but I've not tried it on the Lexus yet.

Usually involves loosening one bolt on the alternator and using something to pry it up some to increase the tension slightly. Should remedy the problem.

:)

check the two belts too. If they are dried and cracked the need to be replaced. They become more pliable as they get warm, hence the reason for the noise going away.

The belts are not that much and it is always a good idea to keep them in the best of conditions.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use any of those belt dressings or talc poweders that say they stop belt squeal. This is only covering up the problem and setting you up for a problem later. You do not want to be stuck on a highway at midnight out in the middle of nowhere cause you old dried cracked powdered but silent belt decided to break.

steviej

Three different suppliers were used for the drivebelts on the 1MZ engine in the ES, RX, Camry, etc.. The noise is usually caused by the larger of the two belts, shich drives the A/C compressor and alternator. This is typically a Dayco belt causing the problem. The Lexus part number now updates to a superior belt, which is $15 to$20. Good luck.

I agree with steviej 100%!! But in the meantime until you change the belt(s) you could wet a cloth with brake fluid and apply it to the belt(s). This won't hurt them, but do it when the engine is NOT running!!!

Usually the problem is belt slippage on the alternator. When you first start car after it has been idle { such as overnight} the battery takes high output from the alternator causing slippage. After a few minutes the chargeing rate decreases thus no slippage. This sounds to me to be your problem.

see my problem was after i started the car in the morning it would do it if i turned the air on but if i left it off it wouldnt do it at all.anyhow i think you should of got it replaced instead of tightend because if it was sqeaching for awhile it may of weakend the belt and its not going to last long.

Well, the noise is back again although it's much less noisy and the noise goes away in 20 to 30 second or so. Maybe I should have replaced the belt but my mechanic did not sugget it so I thouth it was fine. Could it be another reason or problem that would make that noise? To check on the noise, I would start the engine, hear the noise and than I would trun the engine off. Sometimes, when I turn off the engine, the noise sounds to me that it comes from some metal parts (as iif they need lubricant) --- the pulley? I hope it's not something more serious than changing the belts. Any suggestions? Thanks. :(

That depends on what pulley is making the noise. Each of the components that is driven by the belt(s) costs different amounts. I don't know what the costs are but I'm sure that the water pump would cost less than the alternator or the power steering pump. If a bearing is shot on any one of these components it's doubtful that any mechanic in this day and age will disassemble it and replace just a bearing. They'd replace the whole unit. It was a lot different years ago.