Rear Bumper Ding

So I go out to my car to pick it up once it's done being washed, and there's two blaring little indented circles and paint chip on the back center part of the bumper of my IS, like from licence plate screws from another car. I say, out loud, "Wow, that's not good. Those weren't there before." The guy who washed the car says nothing, just standing there with my key. Unfortunately, I don't think his English is too good. So I figure, well, I can't prove they did it, and stupidly I give the guy his tip and drive away. Okay. Story done. Now I'm livid and I want to get my car fixed.

My question is this: Do you think the bumper can be fixed? I'm wondering if it can just be filled in? Any ideas?

I'll tell ya, I'm gonna start washing my own car from now on, no matter how lazy I get.

Thanks, Bartkat. I heard back from my service guy (we're on a first-name basis, is that bad?), and he referred me to a company down the road from the dealership. My husband doesn't know about the ding yet, but I'm going to have him do some hunting around for the best deal. It's buggin' me, I want it fixed!!!

Ugghh...sorry to hear about what happened. That is always my fear with my car whenever I take it in anywhere.

I haven't had experience with any good mobile-paint repair companies (that one may be better than what I've seen), but there is another option which is having the bumper repaired and painted at the body shop that your dealership suggested (or even ask friends with nice cars if they have had good body shop experiences). If you have the bumper repaired and painted by a good shop, then NO ONE should be able to tell anything has been repaired for as long as you own the car.

Some of us are pretty picky and can spot poorly done paint repairs due to trash in the paint, fish-eyes, blend lines that may be left behind (and usually are if your car isn't painted in a paint booth).

Of course, you will pay a little more, but then again, you paid a little more for your car to have the beautiful paint and fit and finish that Lexus provides. Why mess that up to save a few hundred dollars when getting it fixed?

You could always call all the luxury-car dealerships in your area and ask for their preferred body shops, because a high-end body shop can repair not just one brand but most brands, and will have experience in being careful with such nice cars.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check out the online company that Bartkat sent to me, and I will probably also take the car over to the dealer's suggestion and get an estimate. Bartkat, thanks again for the site.

When I told my husband about it, he told me it was most likely the valet, from the night before, that did the damage, and not the car wash. These valet people didn't even know what car I drove, and pulled up some SUV and looked at us like we were stupid, and said, "Isn't this your car?" Uh, no. I think I know what my car looks like. So sorry to put all the damage on the car wash when they most likely weren't the ones who did it!! lol.

Update: I called the company that my dealership recommended, and they will only LOOK at the car with an appointment, and, of course, they aren't available today. I'm taking it over to a friend of mine, who has done work on my other cars. I don't know why I didn't think of him before. I'll let you know how it turns out......

I just paid my registration for another year, so am keeping this little one. I've been through so much with it already that I decided to keep it for a little while longer (i.e., the new seatbelts on recall, windshield crack first week of ownership, rearview mirror replacement, recirc button not working). I only have 25,000 miles on it in one year (ONLY?) :P

This is why you shouldn't use automatic carwashes...

However, its entirely possible it happened before the wash and you just didnt notice it until you were looking at the freshly cleaned car.

As for the repair, what color is it? In order for it to look perfect the bumper cover will probably have to be replaced and painted. $800 or so.

However, its entirely possible it happened before the wash and you just didnt notice it until you were looking at the freshly cleaned car.

As for the repair, what color is it? In order for it to look perfect the bumper cover will probably have to be replaced and painted. $800 or so.

Actully, I think it happened with the valet the night before the car wash.....

It's the white color (don't know the specific name of it). I have a second estimate of $600 to fix the bumper by taking it off, repainting it, and replacing it, fixing a wheel scuff, and repainting the front bumper from a fiasco a while ago where I went into a driveway too fast.....yes, I'm hard on cars. The first estimate was about the same, but didn't include painting the front bumper. It's about $500 to redo the back bumper.

This is also why I NEVER use the valet.

Didn't you ever see the Sienfeld "BO" episide???

'Nough said. ;)

Thats why you never use valets ;)

It's the white color (don't know the specific name of it). I have a second estimate of $600 to fix the bumper by taking it off, repainting it, and replacing it, fixing a wheel scuff, and repainting the front bumper from a fiasco a while ago where I went into a driveway too fast.....yes, I'm hard on cars. The first estimate was about the same, but didn't include painting the front bumper. It's about $500 to redo the back bumper.

Thats probably the hardest paint color to match out of all the Lexus colors, white itself is hard enough, but the pearl paint makes it really hard.

Does that estimate include replacing the bumper cover itself? Ask if they use computerized paint tinting/matching. $500 to replace and repaint the rear bumper sounds cheap. If they aren't tinting and matching the paint it won't look right.

You also can't spot paint and blend a color like that, the front bumper for instance should be TOTALLY repainted also.

Thats why you never use valets ;)

:huh:

Not my BO, the valet's..... ROFL :D

And Yes, white is a real pain to match.

The wife had a Honda Accord that got rear-ended.

That got done 3 times before it looked even close to alright.

(And it was the dealer who did the work..go figure)

A lot of times dealer's bpdy shops are crappy since they don't have to rely on referrals for their business. I never use dealer body shops.

I'm not going to the dealer's referral. They couldn't fit me into their convenient schedule, so I said screw it. This is somebody my husband had used before, and he's never had complaints. I understand he is painting the entire front bumper, but am not sure. I'll get more specifics later. This was just my husband calling me this morning with an estimate.....

As far as valet, Seinfeld's BO episode is hilarious. It's easy enough to park in Riverside, CA, without a valet. But when I'm downtown Beverly Hills for dinner, and they've taken away all the parking to build their stinking hotels, I don't want to walk 10 blocks just to park my car. Although, I just might start doing it! But we were running late, got to the reservation late, and that's why valet.....

I'm not going to the dealer's referral. They couldn't fit me into their convenient schedule, so I said screw it. This is somebody my husband had used before, and he's never had complaints. I understand he is painting the entire front bumper, but am not sure. I'll get more specifics later. This was just my husband calling me this morning with an estimate.....

Since your husband has used them before, they might be giving him special pricing too.

I wouldn't however not use a body shop because they're booked a little in advance. A busy body shop is a good thing.

Maybe need a beater car to drive in Beverly Hills. :lol::lol:

We have a little truck we could use, but it's stick shift. Driving through L.A. at the end of a workday, with traffic, and a stick shift, is not my idea of a nice evening out. So we take my car....... :rolleyes:

Eh, thats what its for. Damage can be repaired.

Exactly. And as of Monday, it will be repaired. I've been debating whether to leave it. But I can't stand seeing those two dings on the back bumper........I should take pics before and after and then post them.....

Got it fixed!! Looks purty good, but I didn't take any pics. I have it back exactly one day, and now it needs its 25,000 service. The indicator has already come on. So guess it's going into the dealership this afternoon...... :cries: I missed it!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Got it fixed!! Looks purty good, but I didn't take any pics. I have it back exactly one day, and now it needs its 25,000 service. The indicator has already come on. So guess it's going into the dealership this afternoon......:cries: I missed it!!!!

[/quote

I live in Socal as well. Can you give me the location and phone number to the shop you took your car to.

I live in Socal as well. Can you give me the location and phone number to the shop you took your car to.

The info is at home. The repair shop is in Montclair. I'll get back to you tomorrow on it......

So much for that. I left the info at home. I even wrote it all down!!! I think my hubby must have thrown out the Post-it note, thinking it was trash.

It's actually in Upland. Do you still want the info, since you're in L.A.?