Do 90k Service Early?

hnemelka

Lexus just told me my spark plug and ignition coil has to be replaced so he recommends going ahead and replacing all the spark plugs. However, he said maybe I should go ahead and do 90K service now because if these are going out already, what does that say about the condition of the timing belt or other parts? He suggests they go and see what else is up. What do you think? This is all a big expense but I wonder if I should just have them do it now since they are going in already?

Oh, did I mention that I have 80K on my LX470 right now?

Lexus just told me my spark plug and ignition coil has to be replaced so he recommends going ahead and replacing all the spark plugs. However, he said maybe I should go ahead and do 90K service now because if these are going out already, what does that say about the condition of the timing belt or other parts? He suggests they go and see what else is up. What do you think? This is all a big expense but I wonder if I should just have them do it now since they are going in already?

Oh, did I mention that I have 80K on my LX470 right now?

Are you talking about spark plugs or spark plug wires? What problems were you having that necessitated your visit to the dealer, and this diagnosis?

Spark plugs should be replaced at every 60k service. Assuming this was done, I would be a little suprized to see them needing replacement after 20k.

Toyota spark plug wires are top notch, and typically last longer than 80k, but it is possible they could need to be replaced. It's pretty easy to test the resistance from end-to-end of wire, if you have an ohm meter. On my 97, recommended replacement is if the resistance is greater than 25 kohms, but look in the Chiltons manual at your local book store to see what is recommended for your year vehicle.

Like you said, this is a major and expensive service. Personally, I wouldn't be jumping the gun on it without a better reason than a faulty plug or plug wire.

Regards,

Rookie

I think it was the spark plugs and possibly the wires, too. I bought the car used right around the 60K so maybe they weren't replaced then.

If you have no record that the 60k service was done, then I'd suggest go ahead and getting the 90k done. If you have knowledge that the 60k service was done (might be able check with Lexus if you don't know, if it's been performed through a Lexus dealer, they can pull that info up off their database), I would only have them replace the plugs or wires, whichever it is.

The LX470 has individual coils with each plug. The beauty of that is not having spark plug wires and only replacing what needs replacing. I am surprised the plug is bad - it is an iridium plug that should last 120K. The coils do go out however, but you only have to replace the one that goes out- not all of them.