Got Rear-ended At A Light!

gr8smiles

I was sitting still at a stoplight this morning on the way to work. All of the sudden....WHAM!...I was hit from behind. Bumped the car in front....no damage there...that we could see...

A 95 Chevy Cavalier hit me doing 35-40 mph...no brakes, no tire screech...just WHAM!

The guy has no insurance...forget the fact that it is a law in Tennessee!

Took it to the local Cadillac dealer (my Lexus dealer has no body shop) that has a great reputation.

The estimator looked under the rear and said that the frame was bent!

The guy's car hit my factory trailer hitch and I guess that torqued the frame. If it makes you better, his radiator is now part of his dash! His airbags went off, and his car is totalled...big time.

Will my car ever be the same?

The estimator said that they would need to put a new frame under it....oh my!

I have a rental and now I wait. Any advice?

Thanks

Rick

06 Blizzard Pearl GX470 (that has had a bad day)

I was sitting still at a stoplight this morning on the way to work. All of the sudden....WHAM!...I was hit from behind. Bumped the car in front....no damage there...that we could see...

A 95 Chevy Cavalier hit me doing 35-40 mph...no brakes, no tire screech...just WHAM!

The guy has no insurance...forget the fact that it is a law in Tennessee!

Took it to the local Cadillac dealer (my Lexus dealer has no body shop) that has a great reputation.

The estimator looked under the rear and said that the frame was bent!

The guy's car hit my factory trailer hitch and I guess that torqued the frame. If it makes you better, his radiator is now part of his dash! His airbags went off, and his car is totalled...big time.

Will my car ever be the same?

The estimator said that they would need to put a new frame under it....oh my!

I have a rental and now I wait. Any advice?

Thanks

Rick

06 Blizzard Pearl GX470 (that has had a bad day)

I am assuming that you are dealing with your own insurance company...

I am not sure how TN works but in most states you have to carry coverage for :censored: people that drive without insurance. So dealing with your own company should not be that bad. Your Agent should be able to advise you what to do. If you have rental coverage the rental should be reimbursed.

As far as the frame...well...do you have any replacement provision on your policy or new car replacement? It will take quite a lot of damage to total out a 2006 but try to get them to...the key thing to ask for is diminished value! You are the original owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old right? Tell them that this will effect the value of your car...and you expect to be compensated for that.

Good luck...have your agent make a call to your company...after all that is what you pay him/her for...

No whiplash or major injuries? Chances are the body shop and insurance will buy a new frame, cut off the bent area on your frame and cut the same area off the new frame and weld it in. The amount of work to remove the body, powertrain, wiring, suspension, etc, and transfer to a new frame would be too much for an insurance company to cover. I've seen MANY insurance companies cover repairs this way.