Fuel Gauge & Hot Engine

id1

I have 2 problems probably not related:

First, I had TB changed an year ago at 160k miles (I am 2nd owner and this was never done I learnt later) along with water pump at a locak mechanic - a reliable experienced guy. Since then in slow moving traffic the Engine tmp guage starts rising and would reach RED area if still stuck in traffic - if I am going 30-40 mph then it slowly climbs down. My mechanic adviced me to put tmp to max heat, lower windows and drive! It stays normal if I do it in slow traffic, but, I am wondering what the issue is and probable fix. The mechanic is old timer, a good friend of mine and I don't want to bug him. If I know the issue I will ask him to fix it.

Second, couple of months ago car fluttered and eventually stopped. Fuel gauge showed 1/2 tank. It starts but engine dies down. Mechanic found out fuel tank is empty though gauge reading is 1/2 tank. He just put every thing back and told me to keep track of my consumption using 1 of the trip meters. He did not want me to end up spending few hundreds on fixing the gauge problem. Now I refuel after driving clsoe to 300 miles. My question is could it be faulty fuel gauge or something to do with the fuel pump assembly?

Any ideas/help is highly appreciated

First, I had TB changed an year ago at 160k miles (I am 2nd owner and this was never done I learnt later) along with water pump at a locak mechanic - a reliable experienced guy. Since then in slow moving traffic the Engine tmp guage starts rising and would reach RED area if still stuck in traffic - if I am going 30-40 mph then it slowly climbs down. My mechanic adviced me to put tmp to max heat, lower windows and drive! It stays normal if I do it in slow traffic, but, I am wondering what the issue is and probable fix. The mechanic is old timer, a good friend of mine and I don't want to bug him. If I know the issue I will ask him to fix it.

id1:

Get a new radiator (reservoir) cap & put it on. The old cap's spring/gasket is probably sacked & the cooling system isn't holding pressure. It's a cheap fix (or at least something to try) if that's all that's wrong.

Dunno about the second item.