1991 Ls400 Losing Ps Fluid And No Apparent Leaks

godpossessed

I have been through sveral shops trying to solve an ongoing power steering problem. Is there any way that the PS fluid can get into the intake of the motor and get burn by the engine. i get some whitish smoke on startup after it sit for a while. could that be PS fluid? Thought?

thanks

mark

I have been through sveral shops trying to solve an ongoing power steering problem. Is there any way that the PS fluid can get into the intake of the motor and get burn by the engine. i get some whitish smoke on startup after it sit for a while. could that be PS fluid? Thought?

thanks

mark

Mark:

Yes.............................

Please do a search on this board for "Power Steering"..................There are literally hundreds of posts on this subject. Take a look, do some reading, then come back & ask all the questions you'd like. Your problem is exceptionally well documented & is easy to fix. There are new posts like yours on this board at least every other week. :D

thanks

mark

The ACV on my Lexus LS400 had been broken and someone tried to fix it with JB Weld and clogged it all together! Keep in mind that if that goes bad the wrong way you will get power steering fluid into the intake of the car! I had the part number and a cheap place on the internet to buy them if you like I can try and find it again... eng4hire @ excite dot com

Well, it seems that all is well. No smoke and I seem to be retaining my power steering fluid level. During the time that I was trying to figure this out, I ran the p/s system low several times to the point where I could hear a whining sound. Now that the system is full and (hopefully) leak free, I was wondering if there was an additive that might be effective in preserving the pump after the abuse I have given it.

thoughts?

thanks

Mark

Well, it seems that all is well. No smoke and I seem to be retaining my power steering fluid level. During the time that I was trying to figure this out, I ran the p/s system low several times to the point where I could hear a whining sound. Now that the system is full and (hopefully) leak free, I was wondering if there was an additive that might be effective in preserving the pump after the abuse I have given it.

thoughts?

thanks

Mark

Mark:

I would stay away from any kind of additive. Search this site for "Power Steering Rack Solenoid Filter". It needs to be removed & cleaned. A clogged filter will lead to higher than normal system pressure, which can result in groaning. Groaning is symbolic of a problem somewhere in the P/S system.

the groaning sound is from Air being present in the P/S Pump. You could open the reservoir and see if there are any bubbles in the after driving the car or turning the wheel from left to right.

It sounds like your pump is failing. I'd buy a new one and just replace it.