60,000 Mile Service ?

W6RU

Sorry for not knowing a thing about my Lexus motor ... I was raised on chevorlet motors and know them inside and out. How do you get to the timing belt ? How long does it take to do the replacement ? My LS400 is due for 60000 mile tuneup in 5000 miles and since it is 6 years old it should have a timing belt replacement. I am curious if my son and I should do any of this in my home garage without any car lift ? Thanks.

PS: My Lexus dealer service manager tells me that at 60000 mile tuneup they replace all fluids in the car. 60000 mile service will run about $ 1300.00 and timing belt replacement about $ 400.00.

Thanks for any advice.

it will take you whole day. you will need to remove the radiator for the cooling system, all the covers, distributors, caps, crankshaft pulley. dont forget to change the pulleys and waterpump. bearings in them gonna be pretty weared. be careful with timing otherwise you might have to redo it couple of times:)

Actually I just got mine serviced from a Toyota dealer. I was told this car has radiant plugs which do not require replacement till 100,000 miles and same for the timing belt unless there is a problem. I am quite happy with what was done and it cost me only $ 400.00. I would certainly check a good toyota dealer as was suggested to me on this forum.

Thanks

SPS :cheers:

Actually I just got mine serviced from a Toyota dealer. I was told this car has radiant plugs which do not require replacement till 100,000 miles and same for the timing belt unless there is a problem. I am quite happy with what was done and it cost me only $ 400.00. I would certainly check a good toyota dealer as was suggested to me on this forum.

Thanks

SPS  :cheers:

Changing the timing belt is preventive maintainence before something bad happens. How would you even know if your timing belt was going bad? Maybe it breaks while your in the middle of a 1,200 mile trip? Then you'll know it went bad. I'm sure it'll be fine at 100K though...

Lexus has long maintained that the timing belt be replaced at 60,000 miles. However, most mechanics and techs will agree that unless the belt shows signs of wear (cracking etc, thats how you know it'll fail) its not neccisary until 100k.

Do you mean to take all the stuff off to get at the timing belt to see if it's cracked or worn? If I get that far, rest assured a new one is going on. You can see the drive belt (serpentine), and in Virginia they won't pass you on inspection (at a dealer) if it's cracked. Failed my Caprice for a cracked sepentine. They didn't get the job, I just scaped off the rejection sticker and went to a gas station where it passed. The I replaced the belt.