Fabric Fibers Etc. Sticking To Leather

Lately I've noticed that the stitch-end areas of the leather on the drivers seat of my Rx300 are collecting fabric fibers etc. from my pants :huh: Yesterday I had jeans on & now the ends of the leather near the stitches are blue!! It comes off if i lick my finger and kinda scrape it all off. I notice that the leather is very "sticky" and is easiely peeling off too!

Last week i cleaned the leather with the woolite soln' (first time) and conditioned it with Lexol, could this cause what's happening??

Is leather under warranty?

I just cleaned it again with some water and a towel to find out that the leather "coating" is actually GONE!! It's just black now.

I did notice this before on a little area, but it just spread! Here are some pics

Is this covered under warranty or something?? NO way this is normal! I have owened cars with leather over 8 years old without it peeling off...

Thanks

post-13420-1157322107_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1157322115_thumb.jpg

Yep, thats failure of the coating all right.

What have you used to clean the seats? Typically no thats not normal, but I know in the past you've used some off the wall stuff to clean things on the car, there are a lot of cleaners that will break the coating down over time.

Yep, thats failure of the coating all right.

What have you used to clean the seats? Typically no thats not normal, but I know in the past you've used some off the wall stuff to clean things on the car, there are a lot of cleaners that will break the coating down over time.

I've always just used some leather cleaner etc and Lexol leather conditioner monthly on the seats, but usued the woolite soln' on them last week for the first time (as far as i remember)... Actually i don't know if it was woolite or not :whistles: My wife said it was like the same thing though :huh:

Ehhhh find out what that was. And what dillution did you use with the woolite? Its pretty strong unless its dilluted to 5:1 Water:Woolite or less. I've been using 10:1 lately because I've found it leaves less residue.

Woolite is a natural solution for wool, its different than normal laundry detergent. The only thing thats similar that I am aware of is Dreft.

Ehhhh find out what that was. And what dillution did you use with the woolite? Its pretty strong unless its dilluted to 5:1 Water:Woolite or less. I've been using 10:1 lately because I've found it leaves less residue.

Woolite is a natural solution for wool, its different than normal laundry detergent. The only thing thats similar that I am aware of is Dreft.

Snuggle fabric softener :unsure:

haha I guess that's what did it! LOL

Yep, thats what did it. Fabric softener is completely different from Woolite, in fact its not a detergent at all.

You can replace the leather, the dealer will charge you probably $1500 a seat, or you can order the covers yourself online for $600 a seat or so and find someone else to install them.

You can get them here: http://www.lexuspartsonline.com Look under body parts.

Remember that all products are not the same...

Is there any way it can be repaired? The only damaged areas are on that left support (in the pictures). The rest of the seat seems fine.

I am NOT spending $1500 for a new seat... :unsure:

Sure, that'd be an easy fix for any competnet upholstery guy. What they will do is remove that bottom seat cushion cover, remove the damaged panels, sew new leather in its place, and dye it all to match. I couldn't imagine that would be more than $100-$200 to fix your issue. I had some work done in my old ES that brought the interior back to showroom shape (there were gaping holes in the driver's seat before the work was done.):

DSC00062.sized.jpg

Wow those seats DO look new!! :) I might go that route

Do these upholstery people do furniture etc. as well, or just leather in cars? What do i look under to find a good place? LOL

Thanks a lot!! :)

Personally, I'd want someone who works only cars--my guy only works on cars. This is just me, but it seems like patching a hole in a sofa is quite different from patching one that is in a car. I was going to send my car to the dealer, but when I called to set it up, they gave me the name of the shop that they refer all of their customers to. This guy just so happens to be magical with auto upholsterey. Give your local dealer a call, they might be able to help you the same way that mine helped me. If not, ask some friends whose cars have leather or check your yellow pages. ;)

I think your seat could go a while longer before needing serious attention, it just doesn't look that bad yet.....

That all depends on what kind of leather the shop buys. I was very pleased with the quality of the leather that my guy put in to my former ES. Ask them to see a sample before signing off on the work order. It won't be a perfect match, but you also aren't paying a premium for it! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The car will still be under warranty, 4 years from now; I got the extra 2 years (3+2) when we bought it CPO a little over a year ago. I'm really glad i got the extra 2! :)

I sent them a letter complaining about how the leather was showing these symptoms at such a young age...I did say that it was "only" the bottoms of the front two seats though :unsure: Is there any way i can get them to replace the tops as well? I want everything to match :(

They called me back asking when they could "take care" of the leather for me. I didn't ask any questions; i just made the apt.