First Problem ?....

Geo

2001 ES300.

I just noticed (wifes car) that while driving the temperature gauge/needle does not move at all. I have driven it for 6 hours straight and the needle stays right at the bottom. No movement whatsoever. I know this can't be right since most cars the needle goes to mid range and goes up and down as you drive.

What do I tell the tech to check ?

Thanks, George

SW: The car runs smooth as silk. No heating issues. No warning lights or the such. Would not a thermostat problem show up as a issue ? Could it be a sensor (if it has one ) ? Any other ideas ? I'd like not to sound like a imbecile when I take it in to lexus. George

Probably the wiring to the gauge.

If the sensor was dead, the ECU would throw a fit & stay in warm-up mode. You'd have no overdrive, and the engine wouldn't want to rev past... Say 4000rpm at all.

Alias, check the wiring, the gauge & the sensor.

I've never had it happen on a Lexus, but on my old Explorer the thermostat got stuck open, causing the engine to always run cool which caused the needle never to move up into the normal range. There were no other symptoms.