Microfiber Sponges

The other day i came across a microfiber sponge at Autozone so i bought it (figured i'd try it out).

I found that it held the soapy water very well and was easy to use. Felt MUCH better than the traditional "sponge".

But after the car was all dried, i noticed that there were quite a few swirl marks all over the car. I really didn't notice if they were there from before (hadn't washed the car in over a month) so i don't know if i should blame the new microfiber sponge or not.

Anyone know if this product is bad? http://www.3lind.com/images/Zwipe_Sponge.jpg <- Here's a picture of it.

To dry the car, i used some (over a dozen, no lie) 100% cotton detailing towels i got from a car store last year.

Thanks for your input!

The scratches could have been caused by a lack of excessive soap.

As well as not cleaning from the top(roof) down (wheels) to keep from collecting debris on the sponge.

I use a meguires micro fibre mitt and use tons of soap.

I wash the roof and glass section then the sides and back then the hood which has most dirt and debris plus is usually warmer. Then all the lower cladding and my wheels and mufflers last. I wash the mitt between every cycle.

Then put it in the washing machine everyother wash.

A micro covered sponge is going to press the dirt against the paint rather than absorb it.

The scratches could have been caused by a lack of excessive soap.

As well as not cleaning from the top(roof) down (wheels) to keep from collecting debris on the sponge.

I use a meguires micro fibre mitt and use tons of soap.

I wash the roof and glass section then the sides and back then the hood which has most dirt and debris plus is usually warmer. Then all the lower cladding and my wheels and mufflers last. I wash the mitt between every cycle.

Then put it in the washing machine everyother wash.

A micro covered sponge is going to press the dirt against the paint rather than absorb it.

Tons of soap, tons of soap tons of soap. That's going to be my new mantra. I recently related a story about some scratches I ended up with as a result of skimping on the soap. Lots of work to clean up the scratches just because I was cheaping out on the soap. Talk about a stupid trade-off.

I also use a mitt with microfiber "fleece" on one side, and microfiber waffle weave on the other (waffle weave for glass and chrome and some bugs on the front grill). Seems to work darn good, and releases the dirt well.

After the scrathes, I've started using two buckets, one with soap, the other to rinse the mitt in right before I go for more soap. Maybe overkill, but not that hard to do, and doesn't add much time to the job.

Thanks guys, i'll get one of those mits; sounds like a good idea!

You know what else is good? A big ol' waffle weave microfiber drying towel. My favorite is the Big Blue II http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/bigbldrto1.html It's much more absorbent than cotton, and I much prefer it over natural chamois (or synthetic for that matter). I can dry my IS without having to wring it out at all. A dozen detailing towels sounds a bit like a PITA.

No worries about the sponge, I exclusively use that exact sponge to wash my car and it has NEVER introduced any swirl marks. Of course you have to be smart with it, don't press to hard, pre-rinse, use enough soap etc.

My guess about your swirls? The cotton drying towels. Cotton terry cloth is an extremely abrasive product, get some waffle weave microfiber towels for drying.

Really you can only order good Microfiber towels online, the ones they sell in stores are cheap and won't last very long, contain polyester that will scratch etc. I reccomend the towels at www.pakshak.com

Didn't know that :unsure:

How many of the towels from www.pakshak.com do you think i'll need to dry the whole Rx300 or Ls430? Just wondering how many i should get. I know that the detailing towels I've got now don't hold much water :o

Thanks for all the help! :)