What Is This Thump When I Put My '96 In Reverse And Drive?

ezekielj007

Whenever I'm in park and I put the car in gear it kind of thumps into gear. It also thumps if I'm cruising down the street and I take my foot off the gas then put it back on the gas. It's like it thumps the one time when I give it that initial press as I'm riding. Can anyone lead me into the right direction?

Does it do this even after the car is warmed up? I know on startup the engine idles very high which always produces a thump. My wife left twin burnout marks on the garage floor just backing out one time.

How much are new tranny mounts parts and labor usually? I have that problem first thing in the morning when the engine is cool, but during the day when its warmer, from park to drive there is no thump. But mine doesn't thump when Im driving at all, only when I first start it up and shift ro drive.

Ahhh... the "thump" question...

I have all new mounts, cushions, supports, even a brand spankin' new driveshaft....and my car thumps as well. It's just a characteristic of the car's age. If it's early in morning, or at 1st start up, then it's related to your car running at high idle. If you do a search on this, you will find a ton of information. I have reduced the thump with new mounts and such, but I have not completely eleminated it. Blake thinks it might in the differential, which sounds logical to me. It's either there, or in the transmission, but either way, it's related to the age of the car. They are 10 years old after all, some slack is to be expected at our ages and mileages.

My guess? Is it's the aging of the clutch mechanism in the transmission. Normal stuff.