Anyone Ever Buy A Jdm Engine And/or Transmission?

Have you ever bought one of the engines and/or transmissions that was parted out of a low-mileage Japanese vehicle? I'm think that I should just replace everything at once.

Thanks in advance,

John Martin

Why not REALLY replace everything at once and get another car?? Probably cheaper!! :)

Not much help, I know...

tck...

1993 ES300

I'm curious as to why you would consider the swap ?

Let's see. I can replace the head gaskets on a 130K engine and then something else the same vintage as the head gaskets will fail. Or, I can install an engine and transmission with 1/3 the mileage.

It's the classic choice between repair or replace. Spend $800 now and take the risk of additional problems, or spend $1800 now and lower the risk substantially.

My original question was posed to determine how much replacement lowers the risk.

JM

Beware of who you buy from. We've run across several people passing off the JDM 2.5L 4vz-fe as a 3.0L 3vz-fe, and the JDM 2.0L vz-fe as the 2.5L 2vz-fe.

Make them take a picture of the engine block.

I started a list here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...3&hl=4vz-fe

Doesn't mean buy from anyone in particular, but it does show you what too & not too look for.

Ask for a picture of the block stamping.

Most of the sellers I have contacted are on ebay and have good ratings. Sold lots of engines. Feedback seems very solid.

So here is the really dumb question. Are these quality motors with low miles, or are they being sold mainly to salvage shops that just get the car running well enough to sell it?

JM