Noise - Twirrrrrl

bm1139

hi guys..any advice or remedies.....my ls400 92 started to emit a twriling (at idle) sound recently.the twirl becomes a whirl (like a aircraft turbine)as the rpm climbs.i rekon the souce comes either from the left timing belt housing (as view facing the car)or somewhere below it..could it be the idler pulleys or bearins giving way and would it be safe to drive it as im going long distant this few days.thanks n cheers ..

thanks guys for your pppppprompt response. :P .RFeldesf: the power steering's liquid level is normal n the temp seems to be ok even when i was caught in a 40min snail-pace jam 2days back...but im sure the noise closely resemble a pump-like purring away but is it audible as the h2o pump is located between all the pulleys/fans?there is another pump right below the fan belts that pumps the transmission oil right?SKperformance:i have tried cutting down the distances i travelled but do elaborate on your suggestion..(besides belt dressings etc...symptoms?)VBdenny:shall upload it soonest n share my noise...he..he..anyway...i m heartened n really appreciate the advises you kind people here have given me..m hence i have postpone my trip n see what are the options available..thank u all u kind souls.(fyi-my baby drives on the right-..) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

VBdenny,i have uploaded the video on youtube. link as follows:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A1Rny03G9o.hope you guys can figure out what exactly is making the noise...gentleman...i have another problem now or mayb sk can have some say on this.. i have taken the tb out for a clean n flush the ps pump,i found that there's only 1 vacuum hose from the intake manifold that goes into the ps pump(the 1 from the air intake resonator is missing)is this normal??after putting all the parts back...the idle have gone up(2200rpm)n adjusting the tpc offered no help...i have check all vac hose n my tpc is 3months old...helpppp :cries: ....me pls .thanks in advance!

• 3 years later...

There is the link for everyone else. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

No clue as to what it is but I agree with the previous respondent who said not to take the car on any kind of long road trip. It's hard to accurately diagnose noise sources without having one's head under the hood in real time and it's sometimes difficult even then. This one's LOUD. Let us know what you find and good luck.