My 400 Needs A New Coat Of Wax

I have a professional Black & Decker rotational car waxer. I think I'm going to get up a little earlier in the morn (Sun) and start it out. I figure I can wash and wax in 2 hours now. These black cars need to be waxed every month or so it seems? They look incredible after waxing. Do those spray on between wax products really work? I would love to wax every 3 or 4 months if possible.

Hey Todd. I use a detailing spray to buff out the wax. Make your baby SHINE! I use Collinite #845 Insulator wax. Lasts about year. I can't wait that long so I do it once a month. I like the collinite because it really holds the shine and nothing sticks to it.

www.collinite.com if you want to check it out. I swear by it! Did the car again last Thursday.

Thanks VB. I'll do as you say. Bummer thing is that I woke up this morning and it's lightly raining. It looks like it'll clear up later though..? Hehe...I guess I got to watch the Mariner/Yankee game on TV until it does... Are you a Mets or Yankees fan over there in NJ?

I'm in Virginia Beach right now (my main place). My wife works in NJ so I'm up there often. Raining here for the 3rd week in a row. I'm starting to feel like I'M in Seattle! I have a big 2 car gagage so I can wax on rainy days anyway. Are you using a clay bar first? There's some good stuff on it in the detailing forum.

Denny

Yeah, I should use a clay bar to fill in the deeper scratches. Good idea.

We've actually had a spectacular summer this year. We had .08" of rain in July which is a record I think? It's been about a average of 80-85 most of the summer with a few days in the upper 90's. I've taken my boat out more this summer than I have in the past 4 years since I've owned it. We're actually welcoming the rain today but it can go away fast. My yard really needs the rain. My back lawn is brown. I water the front lawn all of the time so it's ok. My back lawn is on a slope so it's hard to keep it green.

I have a smaller 2 car garage that has mostly motorcycles in it. My roommate has 3 dirtbikes and a streetbike and I have 1 streetbike. I guess I could move them all to one side of the garage and pull the Lex in? Still tight quarters but I think I can do it if I have to? I envy you, it's nice to have a large garage like that.

You can kind of see my garage in the background. This is the pic from the gallery.

DSC00467.sized.jpg

Those grandpa wheels are going bye-bye this week...

My gagage is full too. I've got my 66 Cutlass in one side all the time, then I either have my truck or the Lexus in the other. My mototrcyle is tucked in the back somewhere, TV, Fridge, toos etc.

This is the first year I haven't run my lawn sprinkers once. We are about to float away. It means a lot of Lexus washing, but that's what I do for fun anyway. Good luck with the cleaning man. Your car looks awesome when it's waxed. Black is very nice but way too hot for me here (usually). White is my preferred color in the South.

yeah, but how do you make the picture show up in the post?

It's easy. You have to first have the pic uploaded into the gallery or somewhere on the internet. Right click on the pic and select properties. Copy the "http://....jpg" line that shows up in properties for the location of where that pic is. Now click on the "IMG" button when you're posting (above the text window) and paste that "http://....jpg" line into the popup box.

You don't want to see the engine. It has 155HP from a 4.1L (250cid) six. Three on the tree. I bought the car for $400 in 1978 and most of the time it just sits in the garage. I painted it myself (for the second time) in 1990 and that's what you see. I'm planning to put a 350 Chevy engine with a 4 speed. I want something that makes some noise. But life is busy and I haven't gotten to it yet.

W6RU, that Bel-Air is SWEET! Do you enter it in car shows? My old neighbor has a Nomad wagon that he would bring to shows. His life was that car. The guy was kind of odd. He even had cards with a picture of his car on it.

You don't want to see the engine.  It has 155HP from a 4.1L (250cid) six.  Three on the tree.  I bought the car for $400 in 1978 and most of the time it just sits in the garage. I painted it myself (for the second time) in 1990 and that's what you see.  I'm planning to put a 350 Chevy engine with a 4 speed.  I want something that makes some noise.  But life is busy and I haven't gotten to it yet.

The paint looks good. The rims make it look like a muscle car. Chevy 350 would be good.

I have the GM 350, 5.7 liter engine in my boat. That thing has power excess. It goes 60mph+ with my 23" pitch ss prop. When I put my 19" pitch prop on for wakeboarding, the hole shot is ridiculous. It jumps out of the water with a full boat in a second. So much that I have stress cracks in the back of my hull. I have to repair one of them cause it's letting water in slowly in the back left, corner which goes into the bilge.

I just waxed my 2003 LS430 and I used Zymol products. Not the Zymol you buy at the autoparts store but the products you buy from Zymol on the web.

After washing the car you need to rub it out with Zymol HD-Cleanse. Follow the instructions and do it by hand. Even with those orbital buffers, if you are not careful you can cut the paint and inflict some serious scratches.

Then had wax using Zymol Concours. It's a bit over $100 for a small tub but well worth it. You will get a finish like you have never seen.

I never use a power buffer even though I have one. I actually enjoy hand waxing and as the previous post said, it can damage the paint unless you are careful. I always feel it leaves swirl marks in the paint. I'll bet the 430 looks great. Have you posted a picture in the gallery?

As to the 350 in the cutlass, yeah. I put the Crager SS's on because I always liked them. They are still available as I saw the in Hot Rod magazine yesterday and you can get 16" rims.

Time and money my friends.

Todd,

No ... I do not do car shows. The guy that built the car up did have it in shows and made one of the magazines back in the mid 80's after he finished it ... I have it around here somewhere. It is in need of interior and a new paint job ... looks good at a distance but up close has a lot of nicks and dings after about 20 years. My son and I put a new 383 stroked 400 HP motor in it ... has the 20 year old B&M TH400 with a 12 bolt posi rear end. The way it drinks gas I can only take it for a ride once in a while ):>

I actually ended up washing and waxing my Lex yesterday (sun) at about 6PM. It turned out real nice. I spent about 2 hours as I figured. It doesn't get dark until 9PM or so up here in Seattle during the summer. I used that Maguires one step wax. It's a lot easier than the last wax I used. It's just time consuming. I'm prepping my Lex for her new 18" chrome rims that she's getting this week...

Woah Woah Woah Woah guys, some bad info here lol.

First off, you need to be VERY careful with that rotary buffer. In the hands of an ameteur a rotary buffer can burn clean through the paint in a second. Also, you shouldnt be using the rotary to just apply a wax, theres no purpose in that since the rotary is designed to remove hard defects with abrasive polishes. All you're doing is risking burning the paint.

Now an ORBITAL polisher is a whole nother ball game. I have a Porter Cable orbital polisher, and they're 100% safe. There's no way you could harm the paint with them because they dont spin and dont generate much heat. Short of banging on the car with the handle, you're safe. Fact of the matter is, most defects and scraches/swirl marks just can't be removed by hand, they require a machine. Some even require a rotary buffer.

As for the clay bar, the clay bar is not designed, and will not fill in any scratches. All it does is remove imbedded contaminants. Does nothing to scratches.

i have to tell you guys to listen to what he said!.lol... hes the man when it comes to waxing!i used a orbital buffer a few times and it is very safe but i do enjoy doing it by hand.it just gives you that fealing of yes i made that shine when your all done.deep swirl marks wont come out by hand though and will require a macheine.i think SW03ES falls asleep with his..lol. :P