Shaking And Noise From The Front

LS400GUY

I have a 2000 Lexus LS400... Lately it has been shaking at high speeds (80MPH) and its not the tires or balance.

Also at low speeds if I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left or right it clunks some, also if i press the brake at low speeds it makes a clunking noise. Then yesterday I had to brake pretty hard at 70MPH, and it made a REALLY loud clunking noise and my car pulled to the right. So I took my right wheel off, looked at the brakes, looked at the bushings, and I looked at the strut rod bushing. It looked BAD to me, but what do i know, so I took a picture of it, what do you guys think? Does it need replacing? Also what else could be causing these problems if its not this bushing?

Thanks

post-28476-1155136047_thumb.jpg

post-28476-1155136161_thumb.jpg

So this bushing is probably what is causing my problem?
The clunk while braking? 10:1 it is your strut rods. I don't know if they are to blame about the clunk you get while turning the wheel. I don't see how they would. My old strut rods were hellacious, but my steering never clunked. Maybe lower balljoints, tie rods, etc.......

The whole rod, it's sold as one unit.

www.parts.com drill down to lexus and you can navigate to an online vendor and save quite a bit of money v. buying at local dealership. They're NOT hard to install, any indi can do it if you don't want to do it yourself. you'll most likely need an alignment afterwards though. Judging by your photos, you'll notice a substantial improvement of the car's driveability with new rods. These are one of the most common replacements on our cars, ranging from the first generation, all the way to your year model.

Well I'll-bee, I did not know that! Looks to be much cheaper at $34 bucks on lexuspartsonline than the whole control arm assembly too. Alsalih, are you sure they're for the gen2+ models though? I can't seem to get a diagram chart for that part number on the website. I think someone on here a few months ago ordered just the bushing compnent, and received the bushing for the 1st generation models. If it is for the gen2's+, then by all means, just buy the bushing and save your money for more important things......

LIKE BUYING BEER FOR ME AND DCFISH!!!

DC, you still owe me beer! Hahahaa... :cheers:

If it is for Gen2's, then I'm happy to see Lexus starting to answer the consumer's request for just the bushing components now, instead of having to buy the whole freakin' arm, like I had to do. Guess I'm getting a little outdated on the parts stuff these days.

nc211 yes I'm pretty sure they are for gen 2+ because I specifically called Carey at Park Place Plano and had him verify that for me. Also, the service manual for my 98 does show the procedure for pressing them out! LS400GUY, be careful with the Adus for this installation, the original ones are actually "fixed" bushings that don't rotate about the bolt, rather the rubber bushing it self flexes during rotation.

nc211 yes I'm pretty sure they are for gen 2+ because I specifically called Carey at Park Place Plano and had him verify that for me. Also, the service manual for my 98 does show the procedure for pressing them out! LS400GUY, be careful with the Adus for this installation, the original ones are actually "fixed" bushings that don't rotate about the bolt, rather the rubber bushing it self flexes during rotation.

Very interesting indeed!!! My manual does not have that information! Well, in another 80k miles when I'm due for another round of components, I'll give you a buzz for a copy of that page! Just put it on my tab.... :cheers:

LS400GUY, I agree with Alsalih, becareful with this part and aftermarket parts. The strut rod bushing is a major player in the car's overall feel. It is my understanding you can really stiffen up the ride with this bushing replacement. Just my $2 Dollars "in a world of $3.34 a gallon, 2 cent$ ain't worth much anymore"

You can replace the bushings alone but it is a major pain in the assssss.

I did a GS 300 a few days ago and there's should be pretty much the same as our LS.

It has to be done by a press , there is no maneuvering it into the hole no matter what you do . Even with a 10 000 lb press you need a channel locks to squeeze it in.