Oil Seal Leak

kari

I have a 1999 rx300 with 72,000 miles. I saw that it was leaking oil about the size of a nickel every few days. I took it in yesterday and was told that the seal between the transmission and the engine has moisture around it. I have no clue what this might cost. The shop said they would check with lexus on the time it should take to fix and they would do it for that. Does anyone have a "ball park" on what something like this entails?

The rear main oil seal commonly fails on 1999, 2000, and 2001 RX300s because the original part was improperly designed and made rather poorly. The oil seal has since been redesigned and made by a different supplier and is now much sturdier. After ours began to leak at about 75,000 miles, I had it replaced via the Lexus "goodwill" warranty and it has been fine ever since.

Lexus will quote you around $1,200 for this repair, which is unfortunate for a replacement part that's probably worth about $20. They have to drop the transmission to get to the seal so that's why Lexus will quote you so high a price. If you can't talk your Lexus dealership into doing this for you under the "goodwill" warranty, then find an independent shop that may do it for you for half of what Lexus wants.

Good luck.

The rear main oil seal commonly fails on 1999, 2000, and 2001 RX300s because the original part was improperly designed and made rather poorly. The oil seal has since been redesigned and made by a different supplier and is now much sturdier. After ours began to leak at about 75,000 miles, I had it replaced via the Lexus "goodwill" warranty at about 75,000 miles and it has been fine ever since.

Lexus will quote you around $1,200 for this repair, which is unfortunate for a replacement part that's probably worth about $20. They have to drop the transmission to get to the seal so that's why Lexus will quote you so high a price. If you can't talk your Lexus dealership into doing this for you under the "goodwill" warranty, then find an independent shop that may do it for you for half of what Lexus wants.

Good luck.

Thank you for the information. I will talk with the Lexus service dept. At Stevens Creek Lexus that I have used in the past and see if they will replace it via the Lexus "goodwill" warrenty.

• 2 months later...

After going round and round with Lexus of Stevens Creek they decided that I have not had my car serviced there enough for them to cover my rear main oil leak through a "good will" warranty. I live about 90 miles from Stevens Creek so I don't get my oil changes and things done there regularly enough for them.

The quote I have for them to do the work is $1,600. I have found a place where I live that will do it for $750.

Is there any other maintenance I should have done while they have it all apart? I don't know the first thing about this so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

quote name='tmastres' date='Aug 9 2006, 08:42 AM' post='202829']

Please keep us informed on what the dealership tells/does for you. I'm curious to see how long Lexus will honor repairs under any "goodwill" programs that may exist.

I don't know of any other service you could have done at the same time, but I would take the problem to Lexus Corporate before you gie up on it. I reaize its a lot of hassle but the "goodwill" is fom the Lexus brand not an individual dealer.

I've never had to do that so I don't know exactly how to contact them but several others on the list have , and if you send a PM to them they may be able to give you some guidance. Might be cool to do it here in the forum too. I know theres a Lexus USA number somewhere .

I would also advise you not to give up. This is a known flaw and a common failure in these vehicles. Lexus realizes that and even went to another supplier for a better-designed rear main seal to correct this problem.

You can contact Corporate Lexus at (800) 255-3987. If they attempt to blow you off on the phone, then send them a registered letter at their corporate address in California. Ask for it when you call.

Your argument should continue to be that this is a known flaw, due to no negligence or fault on your part, and that you expect Lexus to make it right with the new, redesigned and better-made rear main seal.

If you do opt to pay a local shop to do the job, insist that they use the redesigned seal. Check with Lexus to get the updated part number.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you I will and I will keep you posted.

I would also advise you not to give up. This is a known flaw and a common failure in these vehicles. Lexus realizes that and even went to another supplier for a better-designed rear main seal to correct this problem.

You can contact Corporate Lexus at (800) 255-3987. If they attempt to blow you off on the phone, then send them a registered letter at their corporate address in California. Ask for it when you call.

Your argument should continue to be that this is a known flaw, due to no negligence or fault on your part, and that you expect Lexus to make it right with the new, redesigned and better-made rear main seal.

If you do opt to pay a local shop to do the job, insist that they use the redesigned seal. Check with Lexus to get the updated part number.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent a letter to Lexus Corp in Torrance Ca. on Oct. 19. I got a phone call yesterday the 2nd of Nov. Seems they got my letter regarding the known flaw in the main seal and are going to see what/if they can do anything to help. I can only hope they will be fair. I told her of the many people on the forums that are having the same problem and how many of them have had the repairs under a "goodwill" type warrenty. She said she will see what she can do and let me know in a few days. I will keep you posted.

Thank you I will and I will keep you posted.

Congrats on following up and not just caving in. Stay professional but firm and I'm willing to bet that you'll get at least some financial assistance from Lexus. Keep in mind that independent shops will do this job for less than half of what Lexus originally quoted you, so if Lexus is not willing to do better than that, you always have the option of going with the independent shop to do the work. Just ensure that they use the re-designed and improved rear main seal. Good luck.

[

Well you were right. I did get some financial assistance from Lexus. IF I take it to there shop to be fixed for 1,600.00 they will pay 200.00 towards the bill. If I take it to a shop here where I live it will cost $700.00. They told me it was because it is not under warrenty and they are under no obligation to do anything. They were simply doing a "goodwill" gesture by offering the 200.00. I told her I could get it done at an outside shop for less then half and asked if she would then send the $200.00 towards that bill, and guess what? She said no, they could only help if I let Lexus do the repairs. What a farse!!!

quote name=RX in NC' date='Nov 3 2006, 09:57 AM' post='214274]

Congrats on following up and not just caving in. Stay professional but firm and I'm willing to bet that you'll get at least some financial assistance from Lexus. Keep in mind that independent shops will do this job for less than half of what Lexus originally quoted you, so if Lexus is not willing to do better than that, you always have the option of going with the independent shop to do the work. Just ensure that they use the re-designed and improved rear main seal. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me the part number for the redesigned main seal? I want to make sure I get the new one when I have the work done.

thank you

[

Well you were right. I did get some financial assistance from Lexus. IF I take it to there shop to be fixed for 1,600.00 they will pay 200.00 towards the bill. If I take it to a shop here where I live it will cost $700.00. They told me it was because it is not under warrenty and they are under no obligation to do anything. They were simply doing a "goodwill" gesture by offering the 200.00. I told her I could get it done at an outside shop for less then half and asked if she would then send the $200.00 towards that bill, and guess what? She said no, they could only help if I let Lexus do the repairs. What a farse!!!

The paperwork for the rear main oil seal replacement on my wife's vehicle shows a Lexus part number of 90080-31053. I know that we received the redesigned and improved version at that time (10/15/04), but Toyota has a tendency to revise their part numbers rather frequently and it's been more than two years since then. Call your local Lexus parts department, start with the part number I've provided above, and if it has been revised, write it down and ensure that your independent shop uses the latest version. Be aware that our RX300 is a 2000 model and you indicated that yours is a 1999 model. My guess is that they both use the same part number but be sure to confirm that when you talk to your Lexus parts department.

I can tell you that since our main seal replacement, my wife has put almost 50,000 miles on her vehicle and there is no sign of a new leak. Of course, the original main seal didn't begin to leak until about 72,000 miles so it remains to be seen if the new design really fixes the problem. I happen to believe that it will because I had the Lexus technician show me the old seal once he removed it and compared it to the new seal before he installed it and I could both see and feel the difference in heft and design. The new seal is definitely an improvement.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out in the end.

Hi Kari and RX in NC,

I also have an RX-300, but like RX in NC, mine is a 2000. At 77,000 miles, my rear main seal began leaking. I had it replaced yesterday. Same part number RX in NC posted (90080-31053).

Thank you both for your posts. Because of them, I knew to ask for the redesigned seal and some goodwill warranty help. My dealer was willing to to offer me a goodwill split (i.e. saved me half). Now if I can just get Lexus to pay for the other half, I'll be whole. :)

By the way, some of the other posters here have reported early transmission problems. Wouldn't hurt to ask the service folks to inspect the transmission while replacing the rear main seal.

Good luck,

-David

Can anyone tell me the part number for the redesigned main seal? I want to make sure I get the new one when I have the work done.

thank you

[

Here's waht happened to my wifes 2000 RX300.

When she bout it it was used and had 30K miles on it.

I started changing the oil myself using Fram oil filters.

After about 3 oil changes (around 40K miles) the rear main seal started to leak.

I told her to take it to Lexus and have them check it out and change the oil while it is there.

It still leaked a little. When the next oil change was due my wife went and had it done at Lexus without telling me. The rear main seal stopped leaking. I did the next two oil changes and the seal started leaking again.

I told my wife to take it to Lexus for the next couple of oil changes and let's see what happens.

Well. after two oil changes the seal stopped leaking and has not leaked since (about 1 year).

The truck has 76K miles on it.

I have always wondered if the Fram filters were designed so that they raised the oil pressure to to a point where it caused the rear main seal leake.

Anyway, it's just a story I thought I would add.

Other than that I changed an air/fuel sensor and a thermostat and Lexus put a new coil pack on. I had Lexus do that because it was in the back. I think it's been a great vehicle.

That is an interesting observation on the fram filter. Be interesting to know if the oil leaking is on vehiclel where the owner has used fram filters. I never have, and have 131k miles, no sign of leak so far (knock on wood)

That is an interesting observation on the fram filter. Be interesting to know if the oil leaking is on vehiclel where the owner has used fram filters. I never have, and have 131k miles, no sign of leak so far (knock on wood)

Interesting story. I dont know the dynamics of the oil system to say if thats possible, but my guess would be no since oil-filters are built to simply pass the dirty oil if pressures in the filter elements get too high. Interesting though, did the techs ever mention the oil leak? Perhaps they noticed it and threw a little stop-leak in with the oil? Just another theory but it is very interesting, thanks!

Interesting story. I dont know the dynamics of the oil system to say if thats possible, but my guess would be no since oil-filters are built to simply pass the dirty oil if pressures in the filter elements get too high. Interesting though, did the techs ever mention the oil leak? Perhaps they noticed it and threw a little stop-leak in with the oil? Just another theory but it is very interesting, thanks!

Yes the tech at Lexus did inform us that the rear main seal was leaking but I had already known this.

I thought about the idea that they may have added stop leak or something similar. if they did they never informed us of it.

The Fram filter theory is very weak but it's all I have. I was thinking about purchasing some Denso oil filters and doing the change myself to see what happens.

• 1 month later...

I've just had the EXACT same thing happen. We purchased our 2000 AWD brand new and for the first 30K miles of oil changes, I took the vehicle back to the local Lexus dealer - no problems. I then got tired of paying $60 for an oil change so I began taking it to my local "Mom & Pop" car repair shop for oil changes(after the 30K mile point). They were using the fram oil filters on it with the 5W30 oil.

The car now has 42,500 miles on it and it just began leaking some oil. It was dropping 1-2 nickle size drops of oil on the garage floor every 2-3 days, so it's not a lot. I took the car back into Lexus on 12/8 to determine the cause of the leak and also get the oil changed(since it was due). They diagnosed the problem as the leak from the rear main seal and quoted me $1,104.65 to replace it. I've followed RX in NC's steps & advice to go after the replacement.

Since the dealership has changed the oil I've noticed the leak has slowed further to just a drop every couple of days. I'll keep you posted on the seal replacement as I'm waiting to hear back from Lexus in Cali.

uote name='SKELETOR' date='Nov 17 2006, 07:07 PM' post='215622'] Here's waht happened to my wifes 2000 RX300.

When she bout it it was used and had 30K miles on it.

I started changing the oil myself using Fram oil filters.

After about 3 oil changes (around 40K miles) the rear main seal started to leak.

I told her to take it to Lexus and have them check it out and change the oil while it is there.

It still leaked a little. When the next oil change was due my wife went and had it done at Lexus without telling me. The rear main seal stopped leaking. I did the next two oil changes and the seal started leaking again.

I told my wife to take it to Lexus for the next couple of oil changes and let's see what happens.

Well. after two oil changes the seal stopped leaking and has not leaked since (about 1 year).

The truck has 76K miles on it.

I have always wondered if the Fram filters were designed so that they raised the oil pressure to to a point where it caused the rear main seal leake.

Anyway, it's just a story I thought I would add.

Other than that I changed an air/fuel sensor and a thermostat and Lexus put a new coil pack on. I had Lexus do that because it was in the back. I think it's been a great vehicle.

That is weird...I use Fram when I have to...even though they are CRAP...but I don't see how it would cause a rear seal leak. Maybe the oil used by the dealer had a different viscosity which could explain the difference in the leak rate...I never trust dealers...they sometimes use what's on hand regardless of what the car specs say...seen this done at quite a few dealerships...Ford, Honda too.

Overfilling the sump can also lead to rear seal leaks.

If the fram did clog and restrict flow, the reduced flow should drop the pressure and the oil pressure sensor light would eventually come on. This would be far worse than the rear seal leaking.

It's also possible for the oil filter seal to have a small drip even though the rear seal may have looked like it was the culprit. Looking at the filter it may not show any sign of an oil leak. I always oil the seal first and clean the sealing surface repeatedly. There will always be dirt around this area.

and then again ..you may just have a bad rear seal affected by temperature changes. Before I ever replace mine I try everything possible. Removing and reinstalling a tranny always leads to another problem

I looked at my paperwork from all of the oil changes and services that have been completed by both the independent shop & local Lexus dealer. It's allways been 5w30 oil(non-synthetic) at both places(if the paperwork is accurate). So really the only variable is the oil filter.

I guess driving style could factor in, if it had been driven hard, but it's the wife's car and it's got pretty easy miles on it(in my book). 80% around town, 20% Hwy.

Even though the rear seal has been redesigned, I find it interesting that for the few miles that we have on this car(42,500), that the problem would be the existing seal. It seems to me that something else has to have caused it to happen.

You also have a good point with the initial diagnosis. Maybe the seal really isn't the culprit in this case.

That is weird...I use Fram when I have to...even though they are CRAP...but I don't see how it would cause a rear seal leak. Maybe the oil used by the dealer had a different viscosity which could explain the difference in the leak rate...I never trust dealers...they sometimes use what's on hand regardless of what the car specs say...seen this done at quite a few dealerships...Ford, Honda too.

Overfilling the sump can also lead to rear seal leaks.

If the fram did clog and restrict flow, the reduced flow should drop the pressure and the oil pressure sensor light would eventually come on. This would be far worse than the rear seal leaking.

It's also possible for the oil filter seal to have a small drip even though the rear seal may have looked like it was the culprit. Looking at the filter it may not show any sign of an oil leak. I always oil the seal first and clean the sealing surface repeatedly. There will always be dirt around this area.

and then again ..you may just have a bad rear seal affected by temperature changes. Before I ever replace mine I try everything possible. Removing and reinstalling a tranny always leads to another problem

There's no mystery here. The original rear main oil seals were improperly designed and cheaply made. The redesigned seals fit better and are more substantial. I've held both seals in my hands after this issue struck my wife's vehicle in autumn 2004 and my service manager took care of the issue under the very arbitrary Lexus "goodwill" warranty.

It's not the oil filter. It's not conventional-vs.-synthetic oil. It's not driving characteristics. It's simply a lousy original part that tends to fail and begin to leak after enough time and miles have passed....

I understand. Not disagreeing, just pointing out it amazes me that based the miles we've driven it, etc.. that it's failed so soon. I followed the steps that you provided but have not heard anything back from Lexus in Cali. This is where I made the initial request for the GW warranty late last week. Should I contact them again, contact the local dealership, or wait?

quote name='RX in NC' date='Dec 21 2006, 01:51 PM' post='219870'] There's no mystery here. The original rear main oil seals were improperly designed and cheaply made. The redesigned seals fit better and are more substantial. I've held both seals in my hands after this issue struck my wife's vehicle in autumn 2004 and my service manager took care of the issue under the very arbitrary Lexus "goodwill" warranty.

It's not the oil filter. It's not conventional-vs.-synthetic oil. It's not driving characteristics. It's simply a lousy original part that tends to fail and begin to leak after enough time and miles have passed....

I have a 1999 rx300 with 72,000 miles. I saw that it was leaking oil about the size of a nickel every few days. I took it in yesterday and was told that the seal between the transmission and the engine has moisture around it. I have no clue what this might cost. The shop said they would check with lexus on the time it should take to fix and they would do it for that. Does anyone have a "ball park" on what something like this entails?

Hi Kari,

Where did you get your rear main seal done at? I work and live in San Jose and I have not found a quote lower than $900 to get the main seal done, it be great if you can respond with the shops address.

Thanks.

Hi Kari,

Where did you get your rear main seal done at? I work and live in San Jose and I have not found a quote lower than $900 to get the main seal done, it be great if you can respond with the shops address.

Thanks.

There is an cheaper and perhaps more elegant solution. Use chemistry to stop the seal leak.

I am in the rinsing phase of Auto-RX treatment, my seal leak has slowed after 1300 miles. All it cost me is regular oil changes and $40 for the natural lanolin ester based cleaner. The juries are still out whether it completely stop the cam seal leak for me, but $ back guarantee and many favorable results from owners prompt me to give it a try.

Before anyone call this product a snake oil, Google, research and decide.