1991 Ls400 Speedometer,trip Meter, Odometer Not Working

vyhanh

Hi,

My son's 91 LS400 above meters stopped working last night. I hit the panel and the dashboard hard to no avail. Any ideas? Oh by the way: the "O/D off" warning also flashed permanently now. Car otherwise is going ok.

Thanks a bunch

VH

Hi,

My son's 91 LS400 above meters stopped working last night. I hit the panel and the dashboard hard to no avail. Any ideas? Oh by the way: the "O/D off" warning also flashed permanently now. Car otherwise is going ok.

Thanks a bunch

VH

You should look up for O/D off flashed, this could trigger the problems. Then next step look into the sensor. I would think of the transmission or speed sensors (there are 2 speed sensor on my LS400, front transmission and rear one).

Scroll down a few lines and read the thread from yesterday titled: "Reverse Instrument Light on When Pressing Brake."

This thread describes the electrical problems caused by a broken or pinched wire in the wiring harness attached to the driver side trunk hinge. I have never heard of this problem causing the gauges to stop working; however, it does cause numerous weird electrical problems.

This is a very common problem in the early 90's LS models.

I hit the panel and the dashboard hard to no avail.

Well, that certainly is an interesting course of action. LOL

The mechanical odometers on the early LS400 (they were electronic/digital starting in 1993?) were subject to early failure. I think the one on my previous 90 LS failed at around 120K miles. Fortunately, they are inexpensive.

I don't know about the "O/D off" warning. I suggest that you address the odometer issue first. You can find other information by doing an Advanced Search in the LS forum on "odometer".

It wouldn't hurt to check the wiring in the left trunk hinge if it has not already been repaired -- it is a ticking time bomb, but easy to fix.