Do I Need A Vise For Struts?

When changing struts, do I need a vise to separate the strut and spring after removal, or will the spring simply come out when I remove the strut from the vehicle? It is a 2000 ES. Just curious if I can do it myself or if I have to take it to a shop. Thanks for any help.

When changing struts, do I need a vise to separate the strut and spring after removal, or will the spring simply come out when I remove the strut from the vehicle? It is a 2000 ES. Just curious if I can do it myself or if I have to take it to a shop. Thanks for any help.

Struts comes off the car as a whole assy includes the spring. To separate the spring from the strut, spring needs to be compressed. The rest of the replacement procedure should be found in a repair manual. There is a safety note should be followed. Repair shop charge 60.00 per axle (per side) and alignment is recommended.

Thanks for the info lexlogic. I was hoping to be able to do the whole job myself but I guess that's not possible. Feels like I'm riding in my dad's old '85 F-100 right now.

One more question: If I get the front struts done and then get an allignment, would I have to get another allignment done if I do the rear struts later?

Yes, whenever one or more struts are replaced, a 4-wheel alignment is usually followed. In your case, it makes sense to get the front and rear struts done at the same time, and do the alignment afterwards so that you save on labor charges.

Thanks lexusk8. I was hoping to do one axle at a time, but that is just gonna be more expensive. I appreciate the help.

i also reccomend changing all four at the same time. i paid ~400 for labor and 4 monroe senatrac's

if u just chage change the front and not the rear, when u hit a bump on at 70 the front absorbs and the rear bounces a litlle gives u a funny unstable feeling.

If you were in San Diego, Ca. I would be happy to help you! All the members recommendation to get monroe senatrac's is not too expensive and alignment is a must forward and rear. Take the time to look around town for a good Mechanic with reasonable labor charge. Beware that there is a strut mount assy with bearing that holds everything together could be worn out. Cost $68.25 ea. Do you really have a 2000 ES300? I wonder if my struts are bad too?

This link is helpful for the rear Strut Click Here

I changed the struts and mounts on my RX300 with KYB's and have performed no alignment, and have found no change in driving characteristics or tire wear, Maybe I am lucky but replacement with Monroe struts might change the geometry of the strut alignment, whereas the KYB's look exactly like the OEM shocks. I checked height of the vehicle before and after replacement and found no difference. Again that is probably because I used KYB struts. Good luck.