'06 Gs430: Winter Wheels And Tires

I am looking to get a set of inexpensive winter wheels and tires for my '06 GS430. This is my first rear-wheel drive car, so your advice is apprecaited. I was thinking of a set of '06 GS300 17" rims. Would it be too narrow? As far as tires, 225/50-17 Blizzak WS-50. Thanks,

Michael

'06 GS430

One option is to purchase a wheel/snow tire package from http://www.tirerack.com

I purchased a package with Mille Miglia wheels and Blizzaks for my LS before the winter of 2003 -- have used them through three winters and am still very happy with them.

The Mille Miglia wheels were substantially less expensive (about $115 each at the time) than what the dealer wanted for new car "take-offs". Using narrower wheels and tires in the winter can actually be a plus because doing so focuses the cars weight on smaller tire patches contacting the pavement (or snow). But going to narrower wheels and tires are not usually necessary unless you live in ... like Siberia -- or Toronto, where "SK" lives - LOL.

You will love the Blizzaks which are true snow tires (they have the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall) -- I still can't believe how much better they are than the all-season tires that are also called snow tires by lots of sellers.

One option is to purchase a wheel/snow tire package from http://www.tirerack.com

I purchased a package with Mille Miglia wheels and Blizzaks for my LS before the winter of 2003 -- have used them through three winters and am still very happy with them.

The Mille Miglia wheels were substantially less expensive (about $115 each at the time) than what the dealer wanted for new car "take-offs". Using narrower wheels and tires in the winter can actually be a plus because doing so focuses the cars weight on smaller tire patches contacting the pavement (or snow). But going to narrower wheels and tires are not usually necessary unless you live in ... like Siberia -- or Toronto, where "SK" lives - LOL.

You will love the Blizzaks which are true snow tires (they have the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall) -- I still can't believe how much better they are than the all-season tires that are also called snow tires by lots of sellers.

Yes, you got it right

Yes, you got it right

Thanks, tirerack is my other option. Just curious, did you get 17 or 18 Mille Miglia wheels and what kind? I have a lead on a pretty cheap set of '06 GS300 17" rims (about $100/wheel). I am in Chicago area and can snow heavily here.

My 2000 LS400 came with 16" wheels and I stayed with the same size and bought 16" Mille Miglia Bellos with 225/60-16" Blizzaks from Tire Rack. The Bellos were the least expensive Mille Miglia wheel sold by Tire Rack and they looked especially good on my LS. As you probably noticed, 18" Blizzaks in your OEM '06 LS430 size cost a lot more than the 17" Blizzaks in the '06 GS300 size. And 18" wheels seem to cost more than 17" wheels.

I think you would be fine with the 17" GS300 wheels you found and Blizzaks in the '06 GS300 tire size -- especially with as much snow as Chicago can get. The two wheel/tire size combinations you mentioned (17" & 18") have almost exactly the same circumference so there would be no noticable speedometer accuracy change. And, you might appreciate the extra cushion that the larger section height of the 17" tires will provide when you hit one of Chicago's winter craters -- I mean potholes. LOL

One more point: If you are an agressive driver, you have to be very careful to moderate your driving style when using snow tires -- I wouldn't recommend doing any four wheel drifts on snow tires! Besides, agressive driving on snow tires can especially reduce tire life -- maybe yours too, LOL.

Way down south here in Kansas City, I use snow tires from the weekend before Thanksgiving until the first day of Spring when I take off the snow tires and start having fun again. By moderating my driving style and using the snow tires only about four months each year, I can usually get four winters (20,000 total miles) out of a set of snow tires.

• 5 months later...

My 2000 LS400 came with 16" wheels and I stayed with the same size and bought 16" Mille Miglia Bellos with 225/60-16" Blizzaks from Tire Rack. The Bellos were the least expensive Mille Miglia wheel sold by Tire Rack and they looked especially good on my LS. As you probably noticed, 18" Blizzaks in your OEM '06 LS430 size cost a lot more than the 17" Blizzaks in the '06 GS300 size. And 18" wheels seem to cost more than 17" wheels.

I think you would be fine with the 17" GS300 wheels you found and Blizzaks in the '06 GS300 tire size -- especially with as much snow as Chicago can get. The two wheel/tire size combinations you mentioned (17" & 18") have almost exactly the same circumference so there would be no noticable speedometer accuracy change. And, you might appreciate the extra cushion that the larger section height of the 17" tires will provide when you hit one of Chicago's winter craters -- I mean potholes. LOL

One more point: If you are an agressive driver, you have to be very careful to moderate your driving style when using snow tires -- I wouldn't recommend doing any four wheel drifts on snow tires! Besides, agressive driving on snow tires can especially reduce tire life -- maybe yours too, LOL.

Way down south here in Kansas City, I use snow tires from the weekend before Thanksgiving until the first day of Spring when I take off the snow tires and start having fun again. By moderating my driving style and using the snow tires only about four months each year, I can usually get four winters (20,000 total miles) out of a set of snow tires.

I tried Dunlop Winter Sports on my car. It works on my previous ride Audi A6.