Federal Reformulated Gas Areas

ToddLS400

rfgmap.jpg

This is from a Volvo forum:

Reformulated (Oxygenated) Gasoline Areas. This map from the EPA shows reformulated gasoline areas in the US: Several reports have been received about poor quality reformulated gas causing valve seizures in B230 and B6300 engines driven on short trips with old gasoline.

Great post Todd. From what I've read, reformulated gas really screws up your car. Since I am in the blue zone, it might explain why my milage is not up to that in AZ.

If we really want to fight air pollution... perhaps we should gag a politician!

Great post Todd.   From what I've read, reformulated gas really screws up your car.  Since I am in the blue zone, it might explain why my milage is not up to that in AZ.

If we really want to fight air pollution...  perhaps we should gag a politician!

How does your car run on this gas? Is it less powerful? I live in the Seattle area so we're not in those purple areas, yet.... I have a feeling they will start doing it up here real soon. Our traffic is HORRIBLE up here and we get taxed to no end in King County. Lots of environmentalists up here. Stupid Berkenstock tree huggers! They need to go down to SIR Raceways and feel the enjoyment of speed and power. Hehehe.... :chairshot:

The only difference I notice is worse fuel milage. I didn't think we had it in Norfolk but apparently I was wrong. As far a taxes... everybody gets taxed to death and now we get "fee'd" to death as well. Not only is the govt in my pocket, but now they are in my gas tank as well.

Hey Guys:

Are you adding this fuel to your current cars? From what I've read, the Federal Reformulated Fuel is using a totally different fuel. You don't want to put that in your car. It's designed for EFL vehicles like fleet Fords and GMs and one Mercedes. It's using corn oil or natural gas with 5% petrolium.

if you look closely to the map, you'll notice the states listed are corn growing states. MotorWeek did a special on this.

Please don't add this fuel to your current LEx or Toyota, unless it's an EFL car.

LOL, California a corn growing state? Maybe sweet corn. The reformulated fuel is now 5 or 10% ethanol. I don't think it is any problem at all except it has driven up the price of gas and accoding to experts it's really not needed to control pollution. The requirement is a pure political play by the midwest with the administration playing ball for the votes.

LOL, California a corn growing state?  Maybe sweet corn.  The reformulated fuel is now 5 or 10% ethanol.  I don't think it is any problem at all except it has driven up the price of gas and accoding to experts it's really not needed to control pollution.  The requirement is a pure political play by the midwest with the administration playing ball for the votes.

So, what are those plants growing way north of LA County? I remember seeing some growing when I was on the 5, heading towards San Francisco. Ethanol is extracted from Corns.

That fuel was not designed for the UCF1 or any Japanese engine of fuel system. It should clog up your fuel injectors and will definitely mess-up your ECU.

The fuel is efficient on EVL cars, reported 35-70mpg on GSA Fleet cars.

When I use to live in Tulsa, they had "gasohol" which had a 10% mixture of alcohol. Man.. everything in my fuel system started leaking, fuel pump, hoses, even the tank! Apparently alcohol really destroys rubber unless it is made specifically not to. I wouldn't ever intentionally put any alcohol in my car. Every knows alcohol and cars don't mix (except the feds).

This is just a federal map, each state has its own requirments for certain areas. I used to wrench on a IMCA modified team and we ran pure methonal in the engine, when the race was over we use to empty the tank and put 5 gallons of sunco 112 octan race gas and run the engine till thare was no methonal in the whole system since it would eat up the aluminum in the carb. the only benifit to running methonal, alcohal, ethonal, and ether is it raises the octan, and burns very clean. the downside is it is very toxic to you and the car. you burn 1.6 times more than pure gasoline to make the same amount of power, hence the bad gas mileage.

When I use to live in Tulsa, they had "gasohol" which had a 10% mixture of alcohol. Man.. everything in my fuel system started leaking, fuel pump, hoses, even the tank! Apparently alcohol really destroys rubber unless it is made specifically not to. I wouldn't ever intentionally put any alcohol in my car. Every knows alcohol and cars don't mix (except the feds).

They have this crap in Texas too. My 1985 Camry started knocking and pinging and then leaking fuel too. After I got it repaired I had to find dealerships that sold regular unleaded gas! Friggen ecodorks! :chairshot:

why would texas sell alchol fuel, especially with all those oil refineries? :whistles:

Probably EPA pressure with a lot of political influence having interest in Texas oil. Bush has something to do with it I bet? The Bush family is huge in oil.