Anybody Try Alternate Freons In Ac

daffy

Hi,

My air conditioning is getting weak and I was wondering if anyone has tried Red Tek in their car with any success. Here in Canada we can't get R12 and I don't want to convert to R134a (too expensive). I spotted the leak around the low pressure cap and I found the cap loose. So I am 95% sure that my AC is still in pretty good shape. Thanks Daffy

Hi,

My air conditioning is getting weak and I was wondering if anyone has tried Red Tek in their car with any success. Here in Canada we can't get R12 and I don't want to convert to R134a (too expensive). I spotted the leak around the low pressure cap and I found the cap loose. So I am 95% sure that my AC is still in pretty good shape. Thanks Daffy

If you want to put any R134 in your system, the R12 must be vacuumed from it. The two will not work well together. Technically you could vent it into the atmosphere, but it's illegal. FYI, doing this will probably slowly destroy your ac system.

Hi,

If you want to put any R134 in your system, the R12 must be vacuumed from it. The two will not work well together. Technically you could vent it into the atmosphere, but it's illegal. FYI, doing this will probably slowly destroy your ac system.

What do you maen by " FYI, doing this will probably slowly destroy your ac system." ? You mean if converted to R134a will cause the problem or venting into atmosphere?

How about Freeze-12? I read that it is compatible to R-12 and can be used in place of R-12.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just did this. Go the Freeze12 route. It's cold, doesn't require any replacements (aside from different connector) and it's cheap. You can even get it with the dye built in. Save big bucks.

Hi jtynes,

I was looking into Freeze 12 and it's one of the replacements that doesn't have a flammable substance.

This I really like. Did you top it up with the R12, or drained the R12 and completely, and replaced with Freeze 12? Another replacement I think would be good is Freezone. Thanks, Daffy :)

THe plastic cap does nothing to actually hold in the freon pressure.. But if it is oily, then your schrader valve is bad and they do go bad ever once in a while.. But I would look at the more obvious things, more htan likely slow leak in compressor..

You can charge 134 into and R12 system, if you compressor is leaking, you're not going to hurt anything anyways..... THe accumulator, orfice tube, all that stuff, all the o-rings will get replaced down the road when you permanently fix the ac.. Better save about 1500 or so.. THe freagin compressor alone is like 850.. I got mine with a UPS discount for like $759.. Expensive thing....

Labor plus freon, to goto 134 they will have to put on a bigger evaportor since 134 isn't as an efficient cooler as R12..

I spent $1600 on my system,I did it a few years ago, when R12 was still in the moderate ballpark price wise, right now, that stuff is more and more scarce and expensive..

I would just put in a little 134, get by for the summer and save some $$$$$$ cuz you're going to need it.. The only thing that R134 in a R12 system will hurt is the rubber o-rings.. and those can be replaced on an AC service anyways....

THe convertor kit is simply new evaporator and new orings....

Hi jtynes,

I was looking into Freeze 12 and it's one of the replacements that doesn't have a flammable substance.

This I really like. Did you top it up with the R12, or drained the R12 and completely, and replaced with Freeze 12? Another replacement I think would be good is Freezone. Thanks, Daffy :)

I have got some old cans of freeze 12 lying around if you cant find someone willing to ship. If you are interested email me at riller101@hotmail.com