Valve Cover Gaskets

Depends on the person.

There is nothing physically, nor mentally demanding about doing it. You remove the upper intake manifold & everything associated with it, move the spark plugs, wires & wiring harness sitting on top of it, then 8x 10mm bolts.

It's basically taking a spark plug change (how I tell people to do it, and an upper intake manifold cleaning) 1 step farther. A flexable shaft extension greatly helps accessing the firewall parts.

I think there are directions floating around here if u can find them. The factory service manual is stickied on this forum.

*edit* 8 bolts.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 93 es300. I need to replace the rear valve cover gasket.

Is this easy enough for the not so do it your selfer?

On my '98 Es300 I had a rear valve cover leaking. The leak stopped after I replaced the PCV valve. My guess is that a lot of gasket leaks are caused by improper crankcase ventilation. Replacing the PCV valve is not expensive and could solve a lot of problems.

I have a 93 es300. I need to replace the rear valve cover gasket.

Is this easy enough for the not so do it your selfer?

On my '98 Es300 I had a rear valve cover leaking. The leak stopped after I replaced the PCV valve. My guess is that a lot of gasket leaks are caused by improper crankcase ventilation. Replacing the PCV valve is not expensive and could solve a lot of problems.

I agree!

Same situation with my '93 ES300. Replaced PCV, grommet and short hose... no more leak.

I think you're right, cyberflyer - many of the common oil leaks that ES300 owners complain about could be prevented or cured by the simple method of replacing the PCV and related rubber parts.

Many people forget about changing the grommet on the valve cover and the small hose connected to the PCV. These get hard and develop cracks over time, then they don't seal properly. A new PCV won't help much if it doesn't fit snugly into the grommet. They (hose and grommet) are cheap and easy to replace when the PCV is replaced or checked.

tck...