Satellite Radio....

Hey, so on the new IS whats the deal with the sattellite radio? Does it have to be XM? Do you just subscribe and it automatically works in your car? How do you set it up? And how much does it cost? Thanks, I appreciate the advice!!

You need the optional receiver. Sirrius is also a provider. Don't know if they are installing them in new cars yet.

So in order for it to work in the IS you would need XM, correct?

I really don't know what Lexus is putting in the IS. So far I don't know of anyone that's got a factory installation.

So in order for it to work in the IS you would need XM, correct?

Current Lexus production does not include sat radio.

It is available though, and it's a dealer installed option.

You have the choice of either XM or Sirius... but again, this is not currently a factory installed option.

This causes you to receive the ugly black antenna, and not the color coded antenna like you see on BMW, Acura, Infiniti, Ford, GM... etc.

Or, as you would expect on any $40,000 car.

Rumor has it, there is a color coded antenna cap coming soon... no word yet.

Maybe the 07's will have this as a factory installed option.... Hopefully. :whistles:

I had XM installed in my IS 350 last week. Receiver and antenna have to be added and it isn't cheap. I didn't want an non-matched antenna on my trunk lid, the dealer (Lexus of Bellevue) suggested placing the antenna under the deck, completely out of sight. So far it is ok but if I am in area where the signal is weak I lose reception earlier than with an externally exposed antenna. (I used to have a 4Runner with an external XM antenna so I know where the signal is weak on my regular routes.) If a color matched shark fin becomes availalble I might go for it.

Receiver cost was $250, installation kit was $140. Add labor and you have one expensive radio. Monthly subscription is $12.95/month for XM. I tried to live without XM for a few weeks but once you have tried it, it is hard to go back. Kind of like buying a Lexus.

But then whats up with the SAT button on the IS right next to the AM button?!?!?!??!

The SAT button is there because the stereo is XM / Sirius ready.

It doesn't necessarily mean that it has already been installed.

The button is there so that once the Sat Radio is installed, it can function through your existing Lexus installed stereo.

I had XM installed in my IS 350 last week. Receiver and antenna have to be added and it isn't cheap. I didn't want an non-matched antenna on my trunk lid, the dealer (Lexus of Bellevue) suggested placing the antenna under the deck, completely out of sight. So far it is ok but if I am in area where the signal is weak I lose reception earlier than with an externally exposed antenna. (I used to have a 4Runner with an external XM antenna so I know where the signal is weak on my regular routes.) If a color matched shark fin becomes availalble I might go for it.

Receiver cost was $250, installation kit was $140. Add labor and you have one expensive radio. Monthly subscription is $12.95/month for XM. I tried to live without XM for a few weeks but once you have tried it, it is hard to go back. Kind of like buying a Lexus.

I had XM installed on my IS 350 at the port before it was delivered to dealership in May. It was $455 cost to me. Antenna on my trunk lid with cap, I barely notice it. Simple call to XM to get it activated before I left dealership, came with 3 mos free from Lexus.

But then whats up with the SAT button on the IS right next to the AM button?!?!?!??!

The SAT button is there because the stereo is XM / Sirius ready.

It doesn't necessarily mean that it has already been installed.

The button is there so that once the Sat Radio is installed, it can function through your existing Lexus installed stereo.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OK that makes sense, just thought that is was already SAT ready, which would make sense but ok thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

I had the XM Satellite radio installed by the dealer on my IS250. I'm very pleased with it. The antenna was mounted under the rear deck so there is no visible antenna anywhere on the car. I also got three months free subscription. Cost is about $12.00 per month after that. With your subscription you also get access to XM radio on-line so you can listen to it using your PC when you are not in the car.

I had the XM Satellite radio installed by the dealer on my IS250. I'm very pleased with it. The antenna was mounted under the rear deck so there is no visible antenna anywhere on the car. I also got three months free subscription. Cost is about $12.00 per month after that. With your subscription you also get access to XM radio on-line so you can listen to it using your PC when you are not in the car.

How much did it cost to get the parts, and for install?

How much did it cost to get the parts, and for install?

That's the bad news...the entire cost, parts and labor ran about $600. :(

I am in the middle of the decision process on whether or not to get an IS250 or a second G35. Obviously part of of the process is getting quotes from dealers. I have requested from dealers a quote for: IS250 RWD, Premium package + 18' summer tires (since that is the only package available for 250's in AZ) and Sirius.

I was told that I cannot get Sirius on an IS because: "Lexus has a stop sale on that product." Can anyone confirm or deny this statement?

I am in the middle of the decision process on whether or not to get an IS250 or a second G35. Obviously part of of the process is getting quotes from dealers. I have requested from dealers a quote for: IS250 RWD, Premium package + 18' summer tires (since that is the only package available for 250's in AZ) and Sirius.

I was told that I cannot get Sirius on an IS because: "Lexus has a stop sale on that product." Can anyone confirm or deny this statement?

Hmmm.... You may have heard correctly.

Lexus has removed the Sirius option from the website.

Wonder why. :cries:

Hi, all. I checked with Lexus Customer Satisfaction the other day, and this is from their response:

"We do apologize that the Sirius Radio is not available at this time. As part of our commitment to provide the best products and services, Lexus releases a product when we are confident it meets standards of excellence. We acknowledge a good segment of our customers are interested in Sirius Radio and are aggressively pursuing it to be a part of our accessory line up. Please keep in contact with your Lexus dealer regarding the availability of Sirius Radio for your Lexus vehicle. Currently we do not have an anticipated re-release date.

After introducing Sirius Radio, we received feedback from some customers that the product wasn’t operating to their expectations. It was appropriate to re-evaluate the Sirius Radio product to ensure it continues to meet quality standards."

So I guess it looks like XM for me. But can anyone confirm/deny whether reception is poorer if the XM antenna is mounted under the rear deck vs. on the trunk?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all. I checked with Lexus Customer Satisfaction the other day, and this is from their response:

"We do apologize that the Sirius Radio is not available at this time. As part of our commitment to provide the best products and services, Lexus releases a product when we are confident it meets standards of excellence. We acknowledge a good segment of our customers are interested in Sirius Radio and are aggressively pursuing it to be a part of our accessory line up. Please keep in contact with your Lexus dealer regarding the availability of Sirius Radio for your Lexus vehicle. Currently we do not have an anticipated re-release date.

After introducing Sirius Radio, we received feedback from some customers that the product wasn’t operating to their expectations. It was appropriate to re-evaluate the Sirius Radio product to ensure it continues to meet quality standards."

So I guess it looks like XM for me. But can anyone confirm/deny whether reception is poorer if the XM antenna is mounted under the rear deck vs. on the trunk?

Thanks.

I just got an IS 350 yesterday with XM and our antenna is on top of the rear deck just next to the center brake light in the rear window. Reception has been fantastic.

I just bought a IS250 with XM installed last week. They too put the antenna on the inside by the back brake light. It has worked great so far. It cost 525 installed but I asked them to throw it in as a last minute deal sealer and they did. I also added the real spoiler for 425.00 installed and that looks great.

I just got an IS 350 yesterday with XM and our antenna is on top of the rear deck just next to the center brake light in the rear window. Reception has been fantastic.

If you don't mind me asking how much was it?

$739