Help - Alternator

I have a '99 ES300. It has 160K miles on it, but runs very, very well with the exception of one thing. Alternators! My mechanic insists something is causing the alternators to go out. When he replaced the last one it was extremely hot when I arrived at his location. Have any of you guys had this type of problem or have any suggestions or solutions. Please Help! What could cause the destruction of 3 very expensive alternators (all three surviving less than 1 week, under normal driving conditions)?

Get a new mechanic.

If after replacing the second so shortly he should have diagnoised it properly befoer letting you leave with another alternator.

Sounds like a wiring problem. CHeck your grounds and how good your battery is.

The "HOT BODY" symptom you describe is typical of an internal failure, a shorted diode, in an alternator. My guess is that your mechanic is using the same resource each time for rebuilt alternators and his supplier is using sub-standard diode assemblies.

Most alternators have internal voltage regulators and your mechanic may be moving the same FAULTY internal voltage regulator from alternator to alternator. But in order to result in diode and/or overheating the output voltage would have to be running too high but then you would be smelling the battery fluid as it "boils".

with the batttery disconnected the battery lead on the alternator should not read a short to ground if it does there is probably a wiring problem. I have had major problems from some auto stores with their alternators in particular Kragens auto which is also called Black Flag in some states. Sorry good luck